Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigskygal

Type 1.5 and Hypoglycemia?

bigskygal

I'm new to this and don't have an official diagnosis as yet. I suspect I'm in the very beginning stages of LADA because I don't have any risk factors for type 2 but I do have two other autoimmune diseases, hyperthyroidism and psoriasis.

Anyway, one thing I've read about the beginning stages of diabetes is that you often have low rather than high blood sugars. But this has never happened to me. I can have a big spike (high 200's) after a high carb meal, but I don't go low afterwards. I've never seen a number below 80 on my meter and I don't think I've ever felt the symptoms of hypoglycemia.

In others' experience, is hypoglycemia more of a type 2 issue or is it something I should look forward to :o as the disease progresses?

Thanks for the input.

Kim

bigskygal

I've thought about MODY as a possibility, but ruled it out because I recently went through a pregnancy (my son was born about 3 years ago) with absolutely no abnormal blood sugars and apparently MODY tends to be diagnosed during pregnancy. Good information on MODY is scarce however, so maybe there are forms that aren't provoked by pregnancy, or only show up afterwards that I haven't found information on.

THanks,

Kim

jswede1149

Are you just hyper or do you have Graves? I am experiencing a host of problems with my thyroid. I just went through a hyper in the last week. I am patiently waiting to get in to my new Endo to get an official diagnosis and meds. I can't take many more of these hyper hormone dumps

That said, it is likely you are a LADA (although only blood tests can confirm). Be aware no matter what type you have, hyperthyroidism speeds up metabolism and meds do not work as well. You may find you need higher dosages quicker than some members here.

I have bouts of hypoglycemia when I feel well because I have tight control. I am not on insulin yet. It is better to experience a hypo on oral meds then insulin IMHO. You will know the feeling and react quicker. From what I've read here, a hypo on insulin can become tricky if not resolved quickly.

I am a LADA myself so I know what you are going through.

bigskygal

Sorry to hear about your thyroid problems! I was diagnosed with Grave's a few months after giving birth. There was no question about the diagnosis, I was a textbook case (except no bulging eyes, thank god). I used anti-thyroid drugs to slow down my thyroid. After 2+ years on the meds, I went into remission with normal thyroid hormone and TSH levels. I can't believe how different I feel with normalized thyroid levels. Don't know what your thyroid issues are exactly, but the meds (tapazole/PTU) are really effective...they'll bring your hormone levels down within 2 weeks, getting the TSH back up takes much longer.

Good luck with your endo and thanks for responding to my post!

foxl

I have Hashimoto's and had hypos before diagnosis with THAT. Have only had medicine-induced ones, since going on T4 replacement.

High T4 can induce insulin resistance. The two diseases and control thereof are quite interactive. Great.

bigskygal

Hi Linda,

Yes, my endo thought my high random blood sugar a couple years ago was probably related to the fact that my thyroid levels were out the roof at that point. But now, despite normal thyroid levels, my blood sugars are much worse in terms of both a1c (6.4 now, 4.8 then) and how long the highs persist, so I think I now have permanently damaged my pancreas, either through autoimmune issues or possibly the spikes I had while hyperthyroid killed a lot of beta cells, or both. Who knows, and I'm not sure a doctor could really tell me what's going on even if I wanted him/her to. But, either way, it's not good.

Who knew your neck and your stomach were so closely related...?!

Kim

bigskygal

You know, I was a biology major in college and I never really got the endocrine system. Amazing how much more persistent you can be about learning things when they have an actual impact on your life!

foxl
You know, I was a biology major in college and I never really got the endocrine system. Amazing how much more persistent you can be about learning things when they have an actual impact on your life!

Me too.

Worse yet, I remember HS Biology, I got an "A" on an exam, my freshman year, for my definition and description of Diabetes! :D And memorably, some aggressive b*tch social climber type saw my exam and yelped, "WAY TO GO, Linda! I didn't know you had it in you!" ... funny, she was not in any of my honors classes, with me ... ;)

TommyC1

For most of us hypo's are the result of meds. Insulin is particularly difficult to use without experiencing the occasional hypo. Hypos from oral meds are less likely but do sometimes happen.

Some folks suffer from reactive hypoglicemia in which the pancreas over responds, no meds to blame there, but that is far less common.

newbie2011

Hi, like the original poster I'm new to this as well without an official diagnosis or treatment.

I'm in my mid 40's and I've been trying diet and exercise for a year to treat a slightly elevated glucose level, to no avail (bmi is 21 so no weight issues). This year my fasting glucose was 119 and Hba1c was 6.1 (both up from a year ago). I've had Hashimoto's for years and my TSH was also elevated, so my doc bumped my Synthroid and sent me to an endo. 6 weeks later my TSH is still elevated so my doc tweaked my synthroid up again. My endo-ordered test results: Gad65 was positive, my C-peptide was near the bottom of the scale as was my insulin, and my 2 hour oral glucose tolerance was in the 260's. The nurse called with these results and said I'm showing 'indications of Type 1 diabetes'. That was 4 weeks ago, and my follow-up appointment isn't until the end of April.

I've been checking my glucose at home for a while now. Early on I often had readings from 150 - 260. Now, this week in particular, I'm often getting low readings - in the 70 - 80's and feel lousy (tired, sometimes shaky). I'm not on any diabetes meds yet, just the Synthroid. I'm eating regularly and well (I think - no formal diabetes nutrition education yet). My question: Does this make sense to anyone? I understood the high glucose readings if I'm having insulin-production issues but don't understand the low readings. Am I Type 1.5 or something else? I'm not happy about waiting until April for a follow-up, but now I'm more concerned. Should I be? Am I over-reacting? Any input is appreciated.

foxl

Yes. I know of T1.5's who have very unpredictable blood sugars, and later, insulin needs.

In a way I am lucky; I am on a slow decline over the last 2 years, and am gradually upping my insulin usage. But the weirdness, definitely is a part of LADA.

Also some LADA's have definite insulin resistance (which goes with spontaneous hypos) while others do not. If you suspect you do, metformin can be a huge help, if you tolerate it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.