Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbsales

Type 2 Diabetic, 26 weeks pregnant, Craving fast food! Help :)

barbsales

Okay, my name is Barbara, I've had uncontrolled diabetes, since I was diagnosed when I was 16. Four months before I got pregnant, I had took care of getting better blood sugars, and now, I'm 26 weeks pregnant. The babies internal organs developed great, including her heart, my A1C which was tested 2 weeks ago was 6.4; But I've been craving fast food and resturant burgers/fries, when I turned 25 weeks. I've indulged more then I should have, and am worried about how it is affecting the baby. My blood sugars are normally pretty good, between 70-120 most of the time, but when I indulge they go up into the mid to high 200's. I was kind of wondering if I could get a little support and encouragement to help me get off the carb/fast food kick lol.

Also, it seems that even though I take 18 units of novolin-r in the morning with breakfast and eat only 29 grams of carbs for breakfast, my bloodsugars 2 hrs after my meal are still around 140, is there any reason why my blood sugars would be so much higher in the morning then any other time of the day?

Thanks.

BTW: (use Diabetes Forums email or pm) if you'd like to give me some additional support. This is my first child and I'm just so nervous and worried, and want to do good, but...like I said, I've lived most of my diabetic life, with uncontrolled BG.

Blooeyes

Hi Barbara :)

I am no expert on diabetes so I can't give advice on why your blood sugars are doing what they are doing but....I gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby boy in December last year and know exactly how you feel with the cravings! I know it's incredibly hard not to give in to these cravings as I drove myself mad some days trying not to eat what I so strongly felt like eating...but I just kept thinking about holding my baby in my arms and that it was my responsibility to give him the best chance I could at being healthy and that pulled me through. I did however indulge here and there because otherwise I was miserable lol. Good luck with it all and congrats on your pregnancy :D

jtausch

A lot of people can't handle to many carbs for breakfast for some reason the same number or carbs spikes them more than lunch or dinner.

e||ement

Hi Barbara

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have MAJOR insulin resistance during the morning that did not exist pre-pregnancy. I've determined that I need to bolus around 40 minutes before eating (with rapid insulin) to help with that stubborn morning resistance. Maybe try pre-bolusing? Start with 10 minutes and increase by 10 minutes every couple of days until you see an improvement.

As for the fast food thing...I know what you mean. I NEVER eat fast food (okay, very rarely) but the other day I HAD to have a burger and drove myself nuts thinking about it. Finally, I drove up to Wendy's and asked for a Whopper. Um yah, that right there shows how much I eat at fast food chains...the girl replied "only Burger King has whoppers!". LOL.

So I grabbed a cheeseburger, threw away the top bun and ate it open faced. My post meal reading was better than expected (but I did prebolus here as well, about 20 minutes).

The other thing I can suggest is making sweet potato fries. Just cut up a sweet potato into fries, drizzle with olive oil and whatever spices you like, bake it, and eat it with homemade garlic mayo (mayo, garlic, a squeeze of lemon, and a touch of sour cream). It is so good! And pretty easy on the blood sugar.

Good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.