Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chef Barrae

Almond All-Butter Pound Cake

Chef Barrae

Sometimes I miss a nice, mildly sweet piece of cake to enjoy with a good cup of coffee. I've been experimenting with all kinds of ingredients and various techniques to try and produce good, moist baked products. This recipe is spot on. Considering it is gluten-free and uses half the butter of a regular pound cake recipe as well as Splenda, you are not going to believe just how good it really is. The fat is still a bit high and it still has plenty of calories, after all, it is cake, and it is meant as a special treat and not an everyday indulgence. The final carbohydrate count is along the lines of low to moderate and should be reasonable enough for you to plan this with your meal as a pleasant dessert. I hope you enjoy.

Almond All-Butter Pound Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour

3/4 cup coconut flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup Splenda

4 large eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup milk (any)

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. almond extract

vegetable spray

Preheat oven to 350'

Spray a 9" by 5" loaf pan with vegetable spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper long enough to line the bottom and the two narrow sides. Arrange the paper in the loaf pan and spray it with vegetable spray.

Whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

Beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand or electric mixer until smooth. Add the Splenda gradually while beating to blend. This will not look the same as creaming butter with granulated sugar and will be less light and lemony in color. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the milk, sour cream and both extracts and continue beating for about 2 or 3 minutes. During this process the mixture may look lumpy or even curdled but it will work itself out when it is combined with the dry ingredients.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and blend to moisten. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Gently tap pan to release any air bubbles in the batter.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. The top will be golden brown and an inserted toothpick will come out clean. Place the loaf pan on a rack and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes or longer. To remove cake from the pan slide a small knife along the edges without parchment paper to release the cake. Gently lift the cake out with both ends of the parchment paper. Place the cake, parchment paper and all, back on the rack to finish cooling. The cake is somewhat fragile when warm so be gentle and take your time. When the cake has cooled completely remove parchment paper and discard.

Nutrition Facts

12 - 3/4" Thick Slices

Amount Per Serving

Calories 220.9

Total Fat 18.9 g

Saturated Fat 8.7 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g

Monounsaturated Fat 4.0 g

Cholesterol 100.4 mg

Sodium 164.0 mg

Potassium 50.9 mg

Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g

Dietary Fiber 4.0 g

Sugars 0.6 g

Protein 5.9 g

ljjhouser

Hello - Just a short note - I order coconut flour. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of fiber in coconut flour.

It was about 60% fiber. Interesting, Later,Larry

Chef Barrae
Hello - Just a short note - I order coconut flour. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of fiber in coconut flour.

It was about 60% fiber. Interesting, Later,Larry

Yes, coconut flour is amazing and adds so much to sweet recipes. For each 2 tablespoons of coconut flour there are 60 calories, 1.5 grams total fat, 10 grams total carbs, 6 grams fiber. The biggest drawback is calculating how much liquids are needed for the recipe because coconut flour absorbs it like crazy.

Larry H.

I will give it a try soon. I have been doing more again and took a Almond Four Pancake recipe that is rated at 1 carb per pancake, (with minus for fiber I think). They were wonderful and as good as any regular ones I have made. I am out to do some shopping today to see if I can run down some of the more hard to get items in these recipes I see on line. Coconut flour is one I don't see.

Seagal

Honeyville Grains website has them and also Netrition.

(if you don't have a Whole Foods or T.J.'s)

Keri

Caravaggio

Thank you so much for the recipe. It was so so easy to make.

I did make 2 changes. First, I replaced the coconut flour (which I can't find) with almond powder. Second, I used ordinary sugar instead of splenda. I don't know if these changes changed the taste (I think not much), but it worked for my husband and our guest. They both ate almost half of the cake.

Chef Barrae
Thank you so much for the recipe. It was so so easy to make.

I did make 2 changes. First, I replaced the coconut flour (which I can't find) with almond powder. Second, I used ordinary sugar instead of splenda. I don't know if these changes changed the taste (I think not much), but it worked for my husband and our guest. They both ate almost half of the cake.

I know the changes worked fine but the sugar did change the carbs for you. I hope you just enjoyed a small peice then and checked your bg's. I am so thrilled at your successes and glad your husband and guest enjoyed it so much!!! Half a cake is not exactly low carb but the portion control is in your hands after I figure it out! It is hard to resist. I had to freeze half of the cake so I didn't eat it all myself. It does freeze very well, by the way. Thank you so much for your very nice response!

jps

My fiance used this recipe tonight and it was absolutely delicious. Sometimes baking with almond flour can be tricky because of the consistency and/absorbance. The coconut flour (whole foods) was great in there.

She loves to bake and she's now going to start experimenting with the coconut flour. She's thinking instead of her almond flour pancakes, she may be able to incorporate some coconut flour to improve upon the consistency. I handle the cooking, she handles the baking. The good thing is that she and the little one like it and don't care that it's healthy for them. It simply doesn't taste "diet".

Thanks for your ideas Chef. I don't have the biggest sweet tooth in the world (thankfully) but when I want it, I want it. Healthy flour substitutes like this expand the possibilities so much!

Chef Barrae
My fiance used this recipe tonight and it was absolutely delicious. Sometimes baking with almond flour can be tricky because of the consistency and/absorbance. The coconut flour (whole foods) was great in there.

She loves to bake and she's now going to start experimenting with the coconut flour. She's thinking instead of her almond flour pancakes, she may be able to incorporate some coconut flour to improve upon the consistency. I handle the cooking, she handles the baking. The good thing is that she and the little one like it and don't care that it's healthy for them. It simply doesn't taste "diet".

Thanks for your ideas Chef. I don't have the biggest sweet tooth in the world (thankfully) but when I want it, I want it. Healthy flour substitutes like this expand the possibilities so much!

Thank you so much. What you said is exactly what I try to do, my philosophy about diabetes. I don't want anyone to deny themselves or feel left out and different. I try to create recipes that are family and kid friendly, that anyone would eat and are guilt-free for us diabetics. Thank you so much for your very kind words. This is what inspires me.

Caravaggio
I know the changes worked fine but the sugar did change the carbs for you. I hope you just enjoyed a small peice then and checked your bg's. I am so thrilled at your successes and glad your husband and guest enjoyed it so much!!! Half a cake is not exactly low carb but the portion control is in your hands after I figure it out! It is hard to resist. I had to freeze half of the cake so I didn't eat it all myself. It does freeze very well, by the way. Thank you so much for your very nice response!

I don't use artificial sweeteners. My GP insisted on it when I was diagnosed. He wasn't concerned about health issues, but wanted me to get rid of my sweet tooth. I can have desserts but (a) only a small portion, (B) no seconds and © I have to be sure it is worth it. It was difficult at first, but I'm happy with his insistence. I still have desserts but not often and only a very small serving. I also eat only those that are worth eating. :)

jps

She's very picky when it comes to food. Seems like I like 99% of the foods out there and she likes 2%. In a way that's good for me because I just had to cut foods out instead of adding foods I simply don't like. Her on the other hand, sometimes it's a chore.

She is looking over your blog right now, perusing the different recipes to see which ones appeal to her the most. Then she'll go out and get the items and we'll cook it up together. We'll let you know how it goes. But thank you so much for the time you put into this! It's important to me that the person doing this subscribes to the same diabetic philosophy that I have. Breaking down the nutritional info helps alot too. She's very healthy but she feels so much better when she lowers her carb intake.

Again, thank you so much Chef.

Chef Barrae
She's very picky when it comes to food. Seems like I like 99% of the foods out there and she likes 2%. In a way that's good for me because I just had to cut foods out instead of adding foods I simply don't like. Her on the other hand, sometimes it's a chore.

She is looking over your blog right now, perusing the different recipes to see which ones appeal to her the most. Then she'll go out and get the items and we'll cook it up together. We'll let you know how it goes. But thank you so much for the time you put into this! It's important to me that the person doing this subscribes to the same diabetic philosophy that I have. Breaking down the nutritional info helps alot too. She's very healthy but she feels so much better when she lowers her carb intake.

Again, thank you so much Chef.

Thank you and your wife so much. I can't wait to hear back.

princesslinda

Tell me about the coconut flour...does it add a strong coconut taste? I don't like the taste of coconut. Would it matter if I just used the almond flour only (1 3/4 cups worth?)?

I really love pound cake...just not coconut pound cake.

foxl

Linda -- I do not know if you have seen the almond flour recipes out there for pound cake, but I made one with all almond flour, and really enjoyed it! Expensive though ...

jps

Linda, I love coconut but it wasn't overpowering at all. In fact, it was barely detectable. The dominant flavor is the almonds for sure. The coconut gave it a different texture and it held the moisture better than almond flour only - I think. Haven't had it before but I have had cookies with almond flour and butter and they tended to be a little more dry and crumbly. This held together nicely.

Chef Barrae
Tell me about the coconut flour...does it add a strong coconut taste? I don't like the taste of coconut. Would it matter if I just used the almond flour only (1 3/4 cups worth?)?

I really love pound cake...just not coconut pound cake.

Linda, the coconut flour does not give the cake any kind of coconut flavor but rather it adds a mild sweetness. I use it in combination with almond flour for the texture of baked goods. It definitely creates a much more tender and lighter product when used in the right proportions and with the correct amount of liquids added. You should give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it you can give it to a neighbor!

Chef Barrae
Linda, I love coconut but it wasn't overpowering at all. In fact, it was barely detectable. The dominant flavor is the almonds for sure. The coconut gave it a different texture and it held the moisture better than almond flour only - I think. Haven't had it before but I have had cookies with almond flour and butter and they tended to be a little more dry and crumbly. This held together nicely.

That is exactly what it does! Baked goods made with straight up almond flour tend to be courser in texture, dry and seem to fall apart in your hands. Believe me, I have experimented with it all. The addition of coconut flour does exactly what you said plus it adds a mild sweetness so that less artificial sweetener is needed.

Petrel

I made this today and it was lovely with the coconut flour! Topped with sliced-up strawberries. My five-year-old loved it, too. Thank you!

I may reduce the Splenda next time -- I'm not used to sweets anymore, I guess, and it was a bit much for me. :)

Chef Barrae
I made this today and it was lovely with the coconut flour! Topped with sliced-up strawberries. My five-year-old loved it, too. Thank you!

I may reduce the Splenda next time -- I'm not used to sweets anymore, I guess, and it was a bit much for me. :)

Glad you and your child enjoyed it. Yes, you probably would have no problem in reducing the Splenda a bit.

Josselyn
Any suggestions as to where I can find the coconut or almond flour? Your recipes sound delicious.

I get mine at Netrition.com. I buy all the supplies I need and it's still a flat rate shipping fee of 4.95.

pinkbenjiblue

THANK YOU!!! so, just took the pound cake out from the oven...smaeels so good, had to try a little bit....SO YUMMY!!! This is a keeper...moist and it looks and tastes perfect...waiting for it to cool, can not wait to enjoy for breakfast...did reduce the splenda by 1/4 of a cup and made my own almond and coconut flour......was very good....thanks again. I sooo appreciate all the time you put into making and sharing these special recipies!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.