Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hardingnerd

Lack of Appetite

condensr

It takes a little time, but your appetite will return. As mentioned, try to eat before your meds kick in. Alternatively, if you have great insurance (cause the drug is expensive) you can ask your doctor to try Provigil instead of the Adderall - it has less of an appetite supression I hear, but is more designated to treat narcolepsy, so it might not help any ADD symptoms as well.

condensr

Even worse, is to drug them during their most formative years! This is the time when their brains are learning the coping skills they will need to deal with ADHD for the rest of their lives. If you drug them now, they haven't got a chance in **** for the next 40 years. Once they are an adult, and if it is still a problem, then let them make that choice on their own to take stimulants or not.

Jeff, treatment for ADHD should go beyond just drugs - but when a person is in the throws of ADHD, it can be VERY challenging to learn the skills needed to manage ADHD. This is where meds come in - they can help give a person a 'break in the clouds' of ADHD, so to speak, long enough to focus on and learn needed skills to cope with ADHD throughout their life. They don't need to be a forever medication, and certainly shouldn't (in my opinion) be relied upon as a sole treatment without adjunct training and therapy to learn time management and organizational skills.

Sure, it would be ideal if everyone that had ADHD could just embrace it and not worry about fitting the 'non-ADHD' mold, but as personal experience has shown me, our society today often requires certain skills/abilities that ADHD sufferers don't have, or don't have much of. There are certain jobs where ADHD can be an asset, and it would be great if we all could find one of those, but there don't seem to be enough of them to go around.

hardingnerd
It takes a little time, but your appetite will return. As mentioned, try to eat before your meds kick in. Alternatively, if you have great insurance (cause the drug is expensive) you can ask your doctor to try Provigil instead of the Adderall - it has less of an appetite supression I hear, but is more designated to treat narcolepsy, so it might not help any ADD symptoms as well.

Provigil was the orginal they wanted to put me on, but as you said is expernsive... I couldn't pay 300 dollars for 30 of them.

:(

jkane13

It seems that there is a lot more diagnosis of ADHD than there really is then. We didn't have that diagnosis when I was a kid, but I am sure by today's standards I would have had it.

I don't deny that there are cases severe enough to treat with medication. However, I think way too many schools tell parents to send their kids for testing because it is easy to drug them into submission instead of working with them "naturally". Hence why I think if a majority of boys have this "condition", it is not really a physical problem, it is a social one.

foxl
It seems that there is a lot more diagnosis of ADHD than there really is then. We didn't have that diagnosis when I was a kid, but I am sure by today's standards I would have had it.

I don't deny that there are cases severe enough to treat with medication. However, I think way too many schools tell parents to send their kids for testing because it is easy to drug them into submission instead of working with them "naturally". Hence why I think if a majority of boys have this "condition", it is not really a physical problem, it is a social one.

Jeff, according to Federal law (IDEA), school staff CANNOT recommend or really even comment on, medication use in a child. It happens occasionally, but heads can roll, when it does.

There are also a lot more ASD diagnoses, these days. I may well have gotten one today, myself. I think there are better ways of helping kids now, too. For which I am thankful!

condensr

I think this very likely might be the case. Kids will be kids - let them be! I wasn't diagnosed as a child, only as an adult when ADHD started becoming a problem in my marriage, as my wife just couldn't understand how I could so easily forget to do things, for example, or be bouncing off the walls at 10pm. Just knowing about it, though, helps us deal with it and takes a lot of the 'problem' out of the problem.

Maybe ADHD should be something that has to be diagnosed after a certain age? I know that would never happen (too much $$$ to be lost by pharma companies) but it could be a good thing.

foxl
I love how my thread for lack of appetite has turned into an ADHD debate forums.

Sigh

Hey, Cheyenne (pointedly ignoring the all-in-the-headers), HOW ARE YOU??? How is your appetite???

foxl

Sorry but I gotta respond to this:

Maybe ADHD should be something that has to be diagnosed after a certain age? I know that would never happen (too much $$$ to be lost by pharma companies) but it could be a good thing.

I WISH you could spend one week with my son without medication.

Actually current practice guidelines are to not prescribe it before 6. He made it to 5.5 but I wish he could have gotten it sooner. He suffered for not being able to control himself, but getting disciplined for that.

foxl
(all-in-on-headers?)

A little better not eating nearly as much as normal but getting by non the less.

Yuh people who think ADHD is a made up condition. :D Actually I thought so too ... until about thirty minutes after my son's first dose. I just sat there and cried. My husband thought I was nuts. I WAS nuts.

Glad you are at least getting by! It will pick up, give it time.

Sam had 1/3 batch mac and cheese, a tomato and a 1 cup serving of green beans for dinner. Oh, AND A piece of buttered toast ,at his request. AND a bit of candy (!) for dessert. :D A year ago he would have barely dented it.

hardingnerd

Nice.

I use to thing that as well until I started to descover my own attention problems.

My second day on the med and I was able to work on an essay for 4hrs when before I couldn't even for 20minutes.

Could have been a placebo affect, but whatever I like the results either way.

My sleeping has changed a lot for the better, no longer having EDS, having to take naps, sleeping 15+hrs, and the occasional nodding off in classes, or the such.

foxl

Glad it is working for you.

We are almost halfway through the semester, here!

Nice.

I use to thing that as well until I started to descover my own attention problems.

My second day on the med and I was able to work on an essay for 4hrs when before I couldn't even for 20minutes.

Could have been a placebo affect, but whatever I like the results either way.

My sleeping has changed a lot for the better, no longer having EDS, having to take naps, sleeping 15+hrs, and the occasional nodding off in classes, or the such.

hardingnerd

Same here.

We are on Spring Break... perfect time to start the new meds without the school stress.

We have about 7 or 8 weeks left here.

foxl
Same here.

We are on Spring Break... perfect time to start the new meds without the school stress.

We have about 7 or 8 weeks left here.

Ahhh not so much longer for you, then! Good.

We do not have spring break this year (my kids get 2 days off is all)!

foxl
Wow....

That is just wierd to me.

I have to have my SB.

We have a lot of working parents in our district ... I guess that's why? Dunno!

jkane13
Jeff, according to Federal law (IDEA), school staff CANNOT recommend or really even comment on, medication use in a child. It happens occasionally, but heads can roll, when it does.

There are also a lot more ASD diagnoses, these days. I may well have gotten one today, myself. I think there are better ways of helping kids now, too. For which I am thankful!

Sorry to hijack the appetite thread again ...

Both of my sons were sent to the school nurse. She asked our permission to have them "evaluated" by the school psychiatrist! Over half of the kids in that public school have this same evaluation recommended. Not all take the school up on it, but as a parent, you wonder how the school will treat your kid if you refuse. It's a lose lose situation. We opted for a private evaluation instead. Keeps the medical records away from the school, but gives us something to take back to them to say we care enough to listen to their flawed advice.

Again, I am sure there are many legitimate diagnosis of ADHD, and likely good uses of medicating children. We had a neighbor who was a good example of that! He needed it. My children were borderline. My point I want to stress is that the diagnosis is abused way too much as a crutch to make the lives of adults better, rather than improve the lives of the children.

I am done now!

So OP, how's it going? ;) I would love to have no appetite! Mine never goes away. No matter how stuffed my stomach is and how much pain I may be in from over eating. I am still hungry and wanting to eat stuff!

We really are all a little different from each other, and some of a lot different from others. :cool:

foxl

A school diagnosis, however, cannot, again, legally, lead to a recommendation of medication.

It CAN lead to an IEP, a behavior modification program, counseling in the school, and a BIP -- a Behavior Intervention Plan, for when things go badly ... It also can lead to one-on-one special education pullouts. These are not necessarily bad things, for the teachers, the school as a whole, or, most important your child.

There is a family in my school, the mom refuses to medicate her kids (she is with the county mental health authority). I have observed her kids in a restaurant setting, they were far wilder than mine, for whatever reason ... I am sure the school has educational and discipline procedures in place for them. And who knows? Maybe that is the better way to go. Of course as we know from our condition, there are always studies published that go both ways!

hardingnerd

I use to eat a lot so it is very weid for me to be eating minimal amounts of food. It's good if I want to lose a little bit of weight but you hvae to be careful not to become aneroxic.

foxl
I use to eat a lot so it is very weid for me to be eating minimal amounts of food. It's good if I want to lose a little bit of weight but you hvae to be careful not to become aneroxic.

anorexia though has much to do with mindset. Obviously you do not want to let yourself though!!! You could get up in the night, to eat, come to that ... but, ugh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.