Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

I can has ... insulin?

foxl

:D :D :T :D :D

Yes, I can ... starting tonight w/ 5 U Levemir.

What has it taken to get me to this point? Fourteen months from DKA, which was MY first hint something was not right ... being discharged from a (NATIONAL AWARD WINNING, they like to say) hospital on oral meds only, by Endo A...

1) insisting THREE TIMES that I needed GAD testing. Which when I finally got it back, was positive.

2) asserting myself to switch from Endo B, who called me Type 2 with antibodies, to the one my internist originally referred me ... Endo C who re-tested me for GAD antibodies, anti-TPO antibodies, and a mixed-meal C-peptide ... all of which were starred as abnormal, by Mayo Clinic Labs ...

and finally, the CDE for the office of Endos B and C (who are in the same practice with Endo A, BTW), who asked me, "What was Endo B thinking? Antibodies are antibodies, and yours are high."

My strange and now-tiresome tale tells me, though, to tell you all: Go with your gut, and keep pushing.

I hope to h3ll this works. I want those beta cells around for a few years!

JoanW

Good for you Linda! your persistence has been rewarded. Good luck with your new regimen. Looking forward to reading your results.

Richard157

Congrats Linda, your near future is looking good and your long term future is assured with good health as long as you establish good control with the insulin, and hang on to it. Just look at me. 64 years of insulin and I am going strong. ;)

BTW, you can has insulin and you can has cheeseburgers, and bolus for them too! :D

I have also heard of diabetic kittehs who can has insulin. :(

Jmv10

Best of luck Linda! I tried 8 Units of Levemir for 3 days and my fasting dropped too low. I hope this works for you!!

foxl
Congrats Linda, your near future is looking good and your long term future is assured with good health as long as you establish good control with the insulin, and hang on to it. Just look at me. 64 years of insulin and I am going strong. ;)

BTW, you can has insulin and you can has cheeseburgers, and bolus for them too! :D

I have also heard of diabetic kittehs who can has insulin. :(

Richard, yes, indeed, kittehs can has insulin. Mine just all got inflammatory bowel disease -- and one p'titis, from the carby diet the vets prescribed, no D in any of them yet. (Wouldn't you think I would have caught on and checked my own carb intake, but .... nooooooooo!!!).

BTW, one of ours just PHOTOBOMBED my daughter's B'day cake shot!

Granny Shanny

So is it time yet? When you gonna take that first poke?! Let's get this show on the road! :D :D :D

Oops! we met in the middle & crossed paths! Good luck!!!

foxl
So is it time yet? When you gonna take that first poke?! Let's get this show on the road! :D :D :D

20 minutes ago, indeed!

lorilei

it is so funny to say this and mean it..boy have things changed.."Congratulations!"

when is the ceremony??lol

foxl

So, I went to bed at 132 (!?! Musta been the SF pudding mousse?) ... slept wonderfully, woke up an hour late (spring break for kids!), FUNGRY!!!!! I mean I have not felt gut-gurglingly hungry like this in years. No low symptoms ... check BG -- 130?!?!

O-kay ... so I ate 2 fake sausages and a protein shake, coffee ... we will see if I peak later in the am, I guess.

Subby

5 units was it Linda? It might do zilch. Everyone is different... but give it some time. Welcome to the world of insulin, where the only authority is your body.

foxl
5 units was it Linda? It might do zilch. Everyone is different... but give it some time. Welcome to the world of insulin, where the only authority is your body.

Well said, Subby. But .. it definitely did SOMEthing -- the hunger was unbelievable -- it is just tapering off now. Levemir is supposed to take 3 days to gain full effect, I read, too.

Subby

My guess is that the hunger subsides as your body adjusts. With a little luck, of course.

I have always found the first few days on a new insulin to be a time of some strange happenings...

foxl
My guess is that the hunger subsides as your body adjusts. With a little luck, of course.

I have always found the first few days on a new insulin to be a time of some strange happenings...

I hope the hunger subsides!!!

Okay 1.5 hr later and ... exact same BG (134) and hunger! I will ride that out and continue my relentless carb-counting ...

MCS

I know the hunger that comes with Insulin. Glad you finally have another tool to use against this thing. So I win the prize, I was figuring you would start at 5units.

Me I am facing my third week of a hiddiuos sinus infection. 10 days of Septra, got rid of the first one, but got another before I was finished taking the whole prescribtion. Now on Omnicef. Had to go to get my Rx filled for Lantus, woke up at 128, ate a half a sllice of toast and peanut btter and went 170, got to love it. Shot 30 units of Lantus into me, BG you can kiss my buttttt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.