Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

I can has ... insulin?

e||ement

5 units DOES seem like a small dose...but give it a couple of days. i have no experience with levemir so i can't really speak to that.

i think you'll find the hunger might subside...but most of the time i wake up starving if my fasting number is too HIGH. ??

foxl
5 units DOES seem like a small dose...but give it a couple of days. i have no experience with levemir so i can't really speak to that.

i think you'll find the hunger might subside...but most of the time i wake up starving if my fasting number is too HIGH. ??

I was really just grateful she started me so LOW! Cause as Subby remarked, if she said 10 - 15U, I would have started at 6 anyhow. I was frank and told her that, and that I can be stubborn. So saying, I have at least the wisdom to recognize the value of HONESTY!

Hmmmm hunger could be due to running high all night? But ... no it was a NEW feeling to me so I am pretty sure it is somehow due to Levemir. Hoping I will adjust ... :T

Rekarb

What is this one of those horrible cliffhangers where the narrative cuts a way and I have to bite my nails for a week? What's going on? How do you feel? Did the hunger subside?

I thought about the hunger and it made me think of eating carbs. We tend to think that eating carbs makes you hungry but I'm thinking that it's the insulin rising to meet the carb intake that makes us hungry. Maybe this is no news to most of you but its pretty revelatory for me.

Mike

aggie168

Welcome to the dark side of the force :) It did good for me for the brief period I was on it. That is before going 100% on a pump.

Time to update your signature ;)

sarahspins
Hmmmm hunger could be due to running high all night?

Oh yeah... definitely :) Even when I am only moderately high I am often ravenous... the higher I get the worst it is, I think it's part of the body's signaling system just saying "hey, I'm starving" even though there's plenty of glucose running around, just no insulin to let it get to work. When I am solidly in the normal range I could really care less about food. Tight control does a lot to curb my appetite :)

foxl

Hunger wore off, about mid-afternoon.

Soooo ... another 5U, and I woke at ... 148! :eek: Pleah.

Without "permission," still considering going ahead up to 7U tonight. Cause this is just stoopid, so far.

Injecting BTW was no hesitation, no qualms, all the way. Those needles are bitty-bitty, less than a sweat-bee sting, for those still wondering!

e||ement

i say do it...you know better than your endo:)

go up to 7 and just watch for lows through the day. but i certainly think the adjustment is warranted.

good luck!

foxl
i say do it...you know better than your endo:)

go up to 7 and just watch for lows through the day. but i certainly think the adjustment is warranted.

good luck!

Exactly, Elle -- why waste time? Not like 2U will be enough to screw me up too badly. And ... I DO know how to eat, if necessary.;)

Rekarb
Exactly, Elle -- why waste time? Not like 2U will be enough to screw me up too badly. And ... I DO know how to eat, if necessary.;)

I don't think your endo would have allowed you on insulin, if the endo didn't trust your judgement. So that shouldn't even be an issue.

Are you thinking of possibly splitting the dosage to get better coverage?

Mike

foxl
I don't think your endo would have allowed you on insulin, if the endo didn't trust your judgement. So that shouldn't even be an issue.

Are you thinking of possibly splitting the dosage to get better coverage?

Mike

I figure I will be taking it twice a day, eventually, but not yet. Endo said once per day ... so I will stick with that till I get an effective dose (at any time of day, LOL!).

RobinP

Just seeing this thread...glad you finally got it. I'm at 20 units of Lantus right now. I think I started at 10.

foxl
Just seeing this thread...glad you finally got it. I'm at 20 units of Lantus right now. I think I started at 10.

Thanks, Robin! It has been so long to get here ... I am still sort of amazed.

Richard157

Linda, I used various pork insulins for about 50 years and thaen switched to more modern day insulins. I had never been more than 5 pounds over my ideal weight until then. I experienced the hunger you are feeling on the new insulins and started gaining weight. Over a several year period I gained so much that I was a type 1 with insulin resistance (double diabetes). Now I take a type 2 med and insulin too. I eat 130 carbs per day and exercise. I still need to lose 23 pounds.

I doubt that will happen to you though. You are too smart to let it happen. ;)

foxl

Richard ... smart? Well maybe, thanks! But mostly ... I already GAVE AWAY those bigger jeans ... and we are broke! :D

ant hill
I figure I will be taking it twice a day, eventually, but not yet. Endo said once per day ... so I will stick with that till I get an effective dose (at any time of day, LOL!).

Linda, What are your doses at the moment? Splitting the doses seems like a good idea. 24 Hour insulins Meh. I like to see the day for a real cure.

Subby

I know what you mean, Peter, but I agree with Linda that one step at a time is best. Splitting can come when a case appears for it. But for that you would need to get a feel for how a single dose is acting.... once it actually starts clearly impacting your BGs, that is!

ant hill
I know what you mean, Peter, but I agree with Linda that one step at a time is best. Splitting can come when a case appears for it. But for that you would need to get a feel for how a single dose is acting.... once it actually starts clearly impacting your BGs, that is!

OK Sub, Coz I had to do the same. Even with the o'le Protaphane or NPH. But Linda's on track as she's a smart cookie. :o:cool:

foxl

Smart cookie ... but, no response yet to 7U! Other than mild but notable hand and foot swelling in the morning which is making me wonder if hyperinsulinemia was what had been causing it for the past FIFTEEN YEARS??? Because I think from low-carbing, it had diminished?

Crappy readings though -- 4 am, 125. 7 am 131.

Subby

Erk, sorry to hear of more dodginess.

I don't quite follow on the swelling as suggestive of hyperinsulinemia point - I probably don't know enough about hyperinsulinemia.

BUT, and I am sorry to be vague here, I have previously heard of swelling of the extremities as potential, non common side effects of insulin. A quick search suggests it in a couple of sources about side effects for Lev/insulin, but I have nothing you probably could not trump as an expert researcher.

Whatever the cause, I hope it goes away, fast.

As for your dosage, things seem to be so variable between people I find it impossible to make a call, personally, if that many units should be having an effect for you or not. It is certainly not a large dose, still.

foxl

Subby, yeah, I am in early of sneaking up on my dose!

The swelling is not bad, just early morning. I also remembered I ate some salty pickle last night (I mean, MORE than I should!) and it really is probably that. I had read swelling was common, in my Levemir insert. So of course attributed it to that.

The hunger from Friday is gone, so maybe that was not the Levemir, either. Shrug. Probably just hypervigilance, on starting a new thing.

Subby

There is another interesting thing I have found with insulin use. I have no idea whether this dynamic translates to your situation or not. But it is not until I get ballpark that it really offers any control.

I could measure this very accurately when on the pump and controlling my basal a great deal. I found that if I was more than about 5% lower from what I could deduce as my "correct basal" my control would slip quite badly in a predictable manner, much more than we would expect of a usual 5% increase of a med. That's a small window of useful dose I was getting on the pump and rapid insulin. I present this as a personal anecdote, not making grand statements. I generally have found a similar thing throughout using basal insulin. Half, for example, will not give me half the effect, it will just seem woefully inadequate/nonexistent. (In my case it might stop me going DKA)

Now, in your case, we know your body is contributing a reasonable amount (though we don't know your needs). Will it take an amount well below optimal, and put it to good use, so that you find that some insulin is good insulin? Or will it need you to get quite close to the sweet spot of what you actually require, before seeing really any results at all?

It will be interesting to see! But if you happen to work in the latter way, it suggests a good reason not to be disheartened that "some" insulin doesn't seem to have much effect.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.