Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

I can has ... insulin?

aggie168
No detectable increase in hunger -- feel fine. Kinda surprising, really! Run 40 - 50 pts lower, no change there? Woo hoo!

You will come to appreciate what Levermir will do for you and relieve some of the restriction that oral meds have. It did good for me for the short period I was using. That is before I jump in both feet on Novolog and a pump.

Do remember, look at a long term average of at least one week and not worry about the day to day number :)

foxl
You will come to appreciate what Levermir will do for you and relieve some of the restriction that oral meds have. It did good for me for the short period I was using. That is before I jump in both feet on Novolog and a pump.

Do remember, look at a long term average of at least one week and not worry about the day to day number :)

So far, yes, one high which really was within the postprandial period ... :D

aggie168
So far, yes, one high which really was within the postprandial period ... :D

I consider myself a "carbs" junkie. My nutritionist set me up at 1,800 cals per day with 225g of carbs. That is per my height and weight, as I can loose 10 pound. According to my pump's 30 days average, I did 165g of carbs with 43u of insulin per day. Average sensor glucose (SG) of 123.

BTW, my fasting c-peptide is 0.7 (ref. range is 1.1~4.4). Finally have a discussion with my endo, I am a crossover between T1 and T2. He will not call me a T1.5 yet as we did not do any of the anit-body testing.

zoelula

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, Linda, but I don't think the basal has much influence on the post-prandials. When I made adjustments in my basal I saw results in fbg, before meals and bedtime, not pp.

foxl
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, Linda, but I don't think the basal has much influence on the post-prandials. When I made adjustments in my basal I saw results in fbg, before meals and bedtime, not pp.

It depends, Zoe ^^ ! If you are mostly making your own, you can save it up for postprandials!

Rekarb

I'm the other lab rat on this one. My numbers have showed me that my 1st phase insulin response is terrible. I'm about to start taking Apidra to deal with my post prandials. If my basal isn't chasing down my post prandials then, I'm thinking, I'll have more for my basal.

Linda, like me, is also a KPD and KPD's have a strange deal going on with the pancreas and glucose toxicity. It may well be that either way works fine, for a KPD. We are going to find out soon because I'm about finished with my crab-wise cautious approach and I'll soon be injecting.

Mike

Delphinus
:D :D :T :D :D

Yes, I can ... starting tonight w/ 5 U Levemir.

What has it taken to get me to this point? Fourteen months from DKA, which was MY first hint something was not right ... being discharged from a (NATIONAL AWARD WINNING, they like to say) hospital on oral meds only, by Endo A...

1) insisting THREE TIMES that I needed GAD testing. Which when I finally got it back, was positive.

2) asserting myself to switch from Endo B, who called me Type 2 with antibodies, to the one my internist originally referred me ... Endo C who re-tested me for GAD antibodies, anti-TPO antibodies, and a mixed-meal C-peptide ... all of which were starred as abnormal, by Mayo Clinic Labs ...

and finally, the CDE for the office of Endos B and C (who are in the same practice with Endo A, BTW), who asked me, "What was Endo B thinking? Antibodies are antibodies, and yours are high."

My strange and now-tiresome tale tells me, though, to tell you all: Go with your gut, and keep pushing.

I hope to h3ll this works. I want those beta cells around for a few years!

OMFG!

I remember you were going on insulin soon.

I wasn't hitting the forum for about two weeks tho.

Gonna read the rest of this thread now... I just replied to your first post in this thread, and gonna check the replies, etc.

Delphinus

Still at 7u?

I see your numbers have improved a bit as well.

Seven units is nothing, but yes, baby steps until you see how you respond.

I mean you have a working pancreas. Careful, I may steal it. :D

foxl

Still at 7, but considering trying 8 one of these days ... slightly higher #s than initially, but still looking good and I do not want to have to go low and correct if unnecessary, right?

Overall, I feel much more in control, autonomous, and happy! I can choose my dosage ... and if I %$@#% up, it is my own doing.

Subby

Can you do half units with your delivery system? At that low dose, I would be tempted to try that. After all, 1 unit is currently about 15% of your TDD. .5 would be about 8%, a nice increment to use.

foxl
Can you do half units with your delivery system? At that low dose, I would be tempted to try that. After all, 1 unit is currently about 15% of your TDD. .5 would be about 8%, a nice increment to use.

No I have pens ... (free supply for 2 - 3 months). We know who own the CDEs here, right? ;)

I need to look into the economics and also the possibility of using syringes -- and smaller ones! The pens are convenient, but I might appreciate the greater precision and economy of syringes! I was thinking in terms of % change, too!

rak1978

Linda, In my experience (especially lately), it's better to be aggressive with diet and exercise and be reasonable w/ insulin use (only use what is necessary) in order to avoid going low often or feeding the insulin. I think the precision of the syringes and being able to do smaller increases would be a good thing to look into also...15% is a big increase.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I'm so glad this is going well for you!

foxl
Linda, In my experience (especially lately), it's better to be aggressive with diet and exercise and be reasonable w/ insulin use (only use what is necessary) in order to avoid going low often or feeding the insulin. I think the precision of the syringes and being able to do smaller increases would be a good thing to look into also...15% is a big increase.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I'm so glad this is going well for you!

Yes, I was thinking of sticking at 7 and seeing how I could further manipulate my exercise and diet to help it work, first, actually. I had a muscle spaasm thing going this week ... a bit hesitant to work out as much as usual ... URGH. Anyhow I have a couple months to decide if I want to go to syringes, which is good. I suspect I shall, depending on insurance. At thsi low a dose, the pens may still be CHEAPER.

rak1978

Linda, On the other hand, don't kill yourself trying! I admire your persistence and diligence to your numbers. It takes a lot of dietary discipline to keep them down!!! A happy, livable medium would be ideal. I was just suggesting going slow on the insulin to avoid hypos (which I've had plenty of experience with lately).

Have a fantastic day!

Subby

My personal take on that is that 8 vs 7 units per day (if that is what is needed for better control) is really not worth stressing about in terms of considering excessive, and that you put a lot of effort into diet already, Linda. But as you said, the point now is that it's all in your court, and that is a good thing for you. And going real slow especially considering the success you're finding at the moment makes complete sense.

With the pen issue, if you would like to try half units, you could just suck the insulin out of the end of your pens with a syringe. After all, inside the pen is just a vial, a penfill. It's pretty straightforward, if not entirely conventional. As for that, I think conventions are good but not if they get in the way of sound options. It's good to have choices, eh?

foxl

With the pen issue, if you would like to try half units, you could just suck the insulin out of the end of your pens with a syringe. After all, inside the pen is just a vial, a penfill. It's pretty straightforward, if not entirely conventional. As for that, I think conventions are good but not if they get in the way of sound options. It's good to have choices, eh?

Ahah! Clever ... may try it!

Subby

OK well, if you do, or anyone else does, the only issue that might bamboozle your insulin antics, might occur if you return to using the pen as a pen afterwards. Taking a dose out the front, will leave a gap between plunger and penfill. You just need to dial up a dose and push it through until the plunger catches up with the penfill again, and then prime (priming being something I think you should do each and every time you use a pen anyway, because unlike a syringe the action is not perfectly transparent, and priming gives you that check).

Linda, if you find you do want to use syringes for whatever reason, instead of pens you may be able (should be able?) to get penfills. Can be used as 3ml vials.

ant hill
I need to look into the economics and also the possibility of using syringes -- and smaller ones! The pens are convenient, but I might appreciate the greater precision and economy of syringes! I was thinking in terms of % change, too!

Linda, There are pens that will measure half doses! ;):D OK You are not a junior Linda as I know that you are a nice grown up lady. Look for these pens!! ;):)

foxl

Hey, COOL! Looks like I have plenty of options to discuss with insurance co, huh?

I am not so proud of being a grownup (and yes I USE that term! :D ) and the jr pen is very CUTE!

ant hill
Hey, COOL! Looks like I have plenty of options to discuss with insurance co, huh?

Yeah!!! :D

I am not so proud of being a grownup (and yes I USE that term! :D ) and the jr pen is very CUTE!

Aww I would love to be a kid again and Dance!! ;):D

Anyway I know that you are a low doser so I took the liberty of knowing about these pens to my Ballerina. :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.