Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarlyesHope

...and I didn't freak out....

CarlyesHope

Well, you will all be proud of me, Yesterday, we went out to dinner, no big deal accept it wasn't in "the book", and Carlye had forgotten to pack testing strips. So there we were, 35 minutes from home, no testing strips and no carb info (and this wasn't the type of place that would have it either) Usually I would really start to panic, can't test her Blood sugar and Cant get carb info OHHHH NOOOO - - to my suprise, I said Oh well, nothing we can do about it, we will assume you sugar is normal (it usually is at this time) and we will guess on the carbs.

Turns out we didn't do so great, her bedtime reading was 289 but the good news is, I'm learning to lighten up a bit which i am sure Carlye is greatful for.

duck

Boy. At some point when you are ready for it, you need to go read your initial post(s) here...The two of you are "growing up" with this, what a long way you have come in a short time.

:thumbsup:

Dewey

I totally agree with the Duxk and Robin. You have come a long way, and that's awesome for both you and Carlye. The initial shock sounds like it's pretty much gone, so that's excellent news. :thumbsup: to you for taking such good care of Carlye, and for learning as much as you have! :)

am1977

It does sound like you have come a long way and you should give yourself a big pat on the back :thumbsup: .

Yes, test strips and meter would have been a good thing to have on hand, but we are all human and we make mistakes. God knows, I've forgotten my supplies before! :rolleyes: . Though these mistakes happen, as you can see, she did survive and it wasn't the end of the world. Hopefully, it just makes Carlye a little more aware of how important testing is.

Take care :)

Andrea

Mick

I had to smile and think back--way back, 25+years and more. We ate out forever, before there even WERE test meters, so what in the world was carb counting? We just "guessed and shot up" all the time anyway. Lighten up is a really good attitude, as long as one does remain alert and serious, vigilent and informed, Then, guessing a bit wrong and going a bit high isn't such a tragedy. After all, if you were aiming at, say 100, and she was close to 300, well, that sounds way off, but it's really only about 4 units of insulin off--and maybe if she was already at 150, only 3 units off. When I have to "guess", I go back to the old old "Exchange" diet--it really helps me guesstimate pretty well. Good going!

Michael

daddyo

Kelly, from what I get from your post you and Carlye are way ahead of the learning curve, your doing great. sometimes guessing is as good as it gets. In the beginging I remmember days over 300 not hours.

jdstein11

Sometimes we all have to "use the force" and just use our best judgment. Good job expanding your comfort zone, albeit unintentionally!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.