Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dlife

New to Insulin

dlife

How to get used to taking insulin when you are used to taking only oral medications?

Is taking shots yourself daily painful?

How do I know if I am taking sufficient dosage per day?

Are there any special needles to reduce the pain of taking shots?

Thanks so much. I have been on Glyburide but the sugars don't seem to be getting in control especially with the weight I am gaining with the pregnancy. I feel the doctor would want me to switch to the insulin. I don't have any idea how to use it and worried that it would add more stress during the pregnancy. So thought of doing a little research in the forum.

fgummett

Your Doctor would advise on a starting dose of insulin. But please get advice specific to GD.

Commonly it might be a single injection of long-acting insulin once a day. They seem to start conservatively and increase the dosage over several days/weeks until you get improved control. Sometimes you may also go for an injection of short-acting insulin to balance your requirements at each meal.

As for pain... you know what the finger-stick feels like..? Nothing like that at all... in fact the first time I injected insulin myself (and I've heard the same from others) I had to look twice to be sure the needle had actually gone in! Seriously, the needles are so incredibly fine these days... most times don't even feel it.

Hopefully someone with actual experience of insulin during pregnancy will be along soon (I just had the belly - lol ) but insulin can be a great tool for BG control... good for you and the baby :)

dlife
Hidden

How to get used to taking insulin when you are used to taking only oral medications?

Is taking shots yourself daily painful?

How do I know if I am taking sufficient dosage per day?

Are there any special needles to reduce the pain of taking shots?

Thanks so much. I have been on Glyburide but the sugars don't seem to be getting in control especially with the weight I am gaining with the pregnancy. I feel the doctor would want me to switch to the insulin. I don't have any idea how to use it and worried that it would add more stress during the pregnancy. So thought of doing a little research in the forum.

(I already posted this in the pregnancy forum but wanted to post it here hoping for more answers :))

imac

I had no problems with switching to insulin, the needles particularly on the flex pens are so fine that it is less pain than pricking your finger. The main part is getting your insulin doses correct which can take a while. Reading one of the books Using Insulin or Think Like a Pancreas can help a lot.

Tribbles

I have an absolute needle phobia but I can manage insulin. The needle is very short and very fine. Occasionally there is a brief prick but it hurts less than pricking your finger (much less I think). Always remember to take a new pen out of the fridge promptly when the old one runs out, you don't want to inject refrigerated insulin (its not dangerous it's just unpleasant).

Insulin really isn't a big deal, I found oral meds a lot more frustrating.

PatrickR

Oh, that's easy - relax!

Insulin is my best friend; way better than all the BS you go through with "some meds to crank your pancreas, others to lower you IR, blah, blah".

You can barely see or feel the needles, I even reuse mine (BD 31 gauge) cause they work so well. One note - they are similar to nettles. If you are very hesitant and slow, they can sting a little. But if you just grab hold (stick it in) - painless! Sometimes that's better than priceless.

foxl

I just began on Thursday. So far no hypos so, VERY easy! You start low and sneak up on it ... a fasting of 110 is a nice beginning. I will eventually want to get that lower, but for now, nice and safe!

Injecting is really not at all awkward, and neither is it painful. I agree with Frank -- not even CLOSE to testing discomfort!

phillybud

I'm new to insulin too. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I was given a three minute demonstration and set on my way with the prescription.

I was told to pinch an inch of skin and jab it in ... hold it in for 10 seconds ... not to do it near the belly button.

Thats about all I know about it.

:confused:

dlife

Thanks a ton you all!! You can't imagine how glad I am now, seeing all your wonderful replies. I am very very happy to know that it stings less than testing pricks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.