Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danadanbaby

baby's insulin shared?

danadanbaby

I am having our first child and am curious to know if the baby in my belly shares and of the insulin she may produce? I am at 17 weeks and have not been dosing much insulin lately...been going low alot.

Does it have to do with what the baby is consuming and also when the baby is eating?

kmac

Very interesting question.........I have no idea but I hope someone who does know answers! I wish you all the best during and after your pregnancy and know you will enjoy your little one.

Kathi

aiah23

I met a mom in her early 30s who experienced the same thing, she's a type 1, with both of her pregnancies. Her docs said she was receiving some of the baby's insulin so they had to drastically drop her insulin levels to keep her from going hypo all the time. I'm not sure how common it is though. Let me know what you find out about it! I have heard of it though! Fawn

sarahspins

Baby's insulin isn't shared, but MOM's blood glucose is.. the end of the first trimester through the second is a time when baby "steals" a lot of mom's blood glucose, lowering mom's insulin needs dramatically.. I was actually told by my endo it's better to run a little high than to suffer severe lows. My insulin needs were cut in half for a while.. there was a point with my daughter where I was using only 12-14u a day in my pump, it was insane.

It's really common for T1's to need a lot less insulin than pre-pregnancy during that time.. it all changes at the end of the 2nd trimester though, when hormones that the placenta produces contribute to a LOT of insulin resistance. It's not uncommon to triple pre-pregnancy insulin needs during pregnancy.

notme
Baby's insulin isn't shared, but MOM's blood glucose is.. the end of the first trimester through the second is a time when baby "steals" a lot of mom's blood glucose, lowering mom's insulin needs dramatically.. I was actually told by my endo it's better to run a little high than to suffer severe lows. My insulin needs were cut in half for a while.. there was a point with my daughter where I was using only 12-14u a day in my pump, it was insane.

It's really common for T1's to need a lot less insulin than pre-pregnancy during that time.. it all changes at the end of the 2nd trimester though, when hormones that the placenta produces contribute to a LOT of insulin resistance. It's not uncommon to triple pre-pregnancy insulin needs during pregnancy.

Sarahspins is correct. My daughter gave birth to a 10 pound baby. They tested the baby's blood sugar and it was low. They said that because Mom was probably undiagnosed gestational, she was probably passing glucose to her baby. The baby compensated by increasing insulin production in her little body. When the glucose supply was cut, her blood sugar plummeted because her body was trying to take care of the high glucose levels and had not yet caught on that the glucose supply was now stopped.

The baby did fine. They gave her glucose water for about 24 hours and her blood sugar returned to normal. Mom did too.

redheadmom

Hi everyone. I just joined today but have been type 1 for 16 years; diagnosed at 18. Been on a pump for 8 years. Still have a hard time controlling blood sugars!

This is a great question and wonderful answers I've read. My first pregnancy I was constantly going low at all hours of the day, around the 2nd trimester until delivery, with no particular reason. My insulin was cut back but A1C's were high, of course. My endocrinologist worked closely with my Ob/Gyn. Baby was born at 38 weeks, induced due to low amniotic fluid. 9lbs! He did suffer low BS a few days after but was closely monitored. Son has perfect health 3 1/2 years later.

Pregnant for 2nd time now and experiencing lows earlier in pregnancy than before. Dr.'s have no exact answer, other than what was posted here by others. I have to be extra careful in carb counts and along with a regular meter, I use continuous glucose monitor as often as possible (although the readings run behind!) I wish others luck with this tricky situation. It does add stress to an already tough pregnancy!

Mich

This happened to me during both pregnancies around 30 years ago. They told me I was wrong the first time (we didnt have meters) but my insulin requirement dropped to under 5 u per day. By the second preganacy, meters had become available and I was able to document the problem.

We now know, as Saraspins says, that insulin does not cross the placental barrier, but the baby can use mom's blood glucose for growth.

As I understand it, like everything in diabetes it's variable. Test test test and drink milk to keep your sugar on target--it's good for you both.

Best wishes coming your way,

Mich

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.