Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Misty8723

Another Metformin Question

Misty8723

I'm on the xr version, 500 in the morning, 500 in the evening.

Is it possible to have the stomach side effects kind of come and go? I've been on it probably less than a year. I had a few episodes when I first started taking it, but then things went back to normal. Last Sept. I had a episode that lasted maybe a week where I had to stay near the bathroom, then it went back to normal. Now for about the last couple weeks I've been doing the same thing again, having to run to the bathroom quickly. It seems that maybe its going back to "normal" now.

Does this sound like it could be from the metformin?

MCS

Can you link the bathroom issues with any food that you are eating?

I'm on the xr version, 500 in the morning, 500 in the evening.

Is it possible to have the stomach side effects kind of come and go? I've been on it probably less than a year. I had a few episodes when I first started taking it, but then things went back to normal. Last Sept. I had a episode that lasted maybe a week where I had to stay near the bathroom, then it went back to normal. Now for about the last couple weeks I've been doing the same thing again, having to run to the bathroom quickly. It seems that maybe its going back to "normal" now.

Does this sound like it could be from the metformin?

patricia52

I have been taking MetforminER for about three years and I still have metformin moments. If I am dieting and eating less then I have more issues. I asked the doctor about trying something else but she seems to think having good numbers is more important than the quality of my life. It is embarassing when I have those Metformin Days at work. Sometime I am afraid to go out with my family when things are really bad. At my next doctor visit I am going to insist on trying something different.

Misty8723
Can you link the bathroom issues with any food that you are eating?

Possibly. I've had stomach issues my whole life, and I'm definitely lactose intolerant. I've been eating a lot of little desserts that are mostly ice cream. I've cut that out to see if it makes any difference.

Misty8723
I have been taking MetforminER for about three years and I still have metformin moments. If I am dieting and eating less then I have more issues. I asked the doctor about trying something else but she seems to think having good numbers is more important than the quality of my life. It is embarassing when I have those Metformin Days at work. Sometime I am afraid to go out with my family when things are really bad. At my next doctor visit I am going to insist on trying something different.

Hmm, I did start a new diet shortly before this started, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I totally agree with it being embarassing to have those moment at work!

aggie168

I had use Metformin for the last 8 years since DX in 02. Now I am on the pump, I finally go off it even though my Endo said it is still good for my body.

Well, I am off it for a couple of months now and I can say my GI track is many, many times better. I have much, much fewer "bathroom moment" as compare to before.

Without Metformin, I can say my BG can flutuate more, however, my guts feel much better and I can live with the BG swing over "moments of urgency" ;)

LynGarl

I was on Metformin for the longest time as well. I had the same issue. There were days I couldn't leave the house and the pain was so intense. I was miserable.

There are so many other meds out there your doctor should be able to switch you. Though I hear you about doctors not being willing to change things.

That's why I just got a new doctor after being with mine for 15 yrs. Nothing mattered to my old doctor but numbers. I love my new doc! :)

(Sorry, this got sidetracked but I'm just so excited to find fellow diabetics to talk to!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.