Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juan_perez

Tell me about how you control without meds.

pcramer1

Yo Mama, the name of the game is to use the heck out of your meter to find out what can be eaten safely. I dont eat the usual dont's such as rice,breads,cakes,cookies, wheat products,bags of junk foods,pastas,candy's,booze,many meats that are processed with sugar,and spuds. Basically I eat most veggies, lots of steak ,huge salads, with my dressing which is olive oil and lemon juice.If I cheat and eat the wrong item my vision get blurry.and I develop itchy skin. My main goal is to keep my blood sugar between 95-115,walk 2 miles a day,and i take no meds.

PATRIC

I was able to drop from 8.8 to 5.7 A1c in 7 months with no meds. Quite a big change in diet but the 2 main changes were stopping Sugar Pepsi and Little Debbie cakes. Yes quite a few other diet changes too but those were the main ones early on. Dr. was satisfied with my progress after 4 months at 5.9 but wanted me to get my FBG below 150 and was able to do that in the next 90 days without meds (just barely). Don`t really know how other than adjusting diet more to reduce carbs further. At my 7 month appointment (5.7 154 fbg) I suggested doing Met to hasten the possible healing of foot neuropathy. and get lower overall sugar numbers. Dr was glad to RX the Met. Along about this time I found this Forum and learned a whole lot about how I was still not eating like I should have been. The main thing I learned was that my DR. is not as concerned as I am now that I have learned some more from the Forum. I really wondering how I got my A1c to 5.7 without meds and no extra exercise and still having morning FBGS in 150`s. I`ll take it though and am hoping the lower numbers I`m having now will show in my next A1c. Have been out of insurance since October and haven`t been to Doc since Sept so I really don`t have a clue about my progress but feet are better and hope to one day drop the Met....but will continue if necessary.

jims_forum
As Rachel says and not trying to be disheartening but realistically just because some can manage without meds does not means that all of us can... Type 1 especially but Type 2 as well. In my own case by losing weight and changing my diet, I have managed to reduce my medication to a minimum but if I skip it (Levemir) altogether my BGs will get too high for my comfort or long-term health.

I agree with this as a 30 year plus type 2. Yes diet and exercise are key factors and for those in better shape and age than me ; why yes one may be able to do this and great if you can.

I have medical conditions that required meds to ensure the diet and exercise would in fact work out. Namely a liver releasing excess glucose needs metformin to stop and due to aging I use a small amount of humalog lispro - small amount of - under 2 units.

In past, I was on actos, glyburide, starlix and 26 units of 75/25 insulin and metformin. With exception of the metformin all those heavy duty drugs are now out after last 5 years fighting this mess. I describe this as a 33% meds, 33% diet(1200 calories - low carb mediterrannean), and 2 miles walking. This was not discovered overnight and took 2 years to get diet and exercise organized and another three sorting out meds and reducing most meds.

From where I sit for type 2 diabetes; this all comes down to energy balance and controlling excess glucose generation from eating, reffing back on liver and hearty exerxise to burn of some of the glucose stored in muscles.

adiantum

How lovely to see fgummett's opinion being quoted.

Frank was a wonderful educator for me & had me change my lifestyle to HF/LC soon after being dx'd & joining this fabulous forum.

I've never taken meds for diabetes & now 5 & 1/2 yrs later I still get an A1c of 6.1

Admittedly, it could be better but I don't exercise enough .

nhbbroadcast
Like some one has stated it is a complete mind set change. You have to learn how to enjoy things you never thought you would before being Dxed. My BG level is between 65-85 on most days, seldom ever see anything over 90. I have been in ketosis for over a year now and plan to keep it this way for some time to come.

I can attest to the fact that if you keep your carbs below 130 grams per day, your glucose levels will go down. I am going to experiment to see if Ketosis is necessary. Depending on who you talk to, around 120 is the Ketosis cutoff. My belief is that carbs=glucose. Most people will run a deficit if they keep their carbs below 130, which means carbs are depleted, and fats must be used. Carb depleted = low blood sugar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.