Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chef Barrae

Applesauce Muffins

Chef Barrae

Thanks for your patience while I had some work taken care of in the kitchen. All appears to me in great order now and my first creation was this muffin. It is a very tender muffin with great flavor. The applesauce not only adds a delicious flavor but it also adds terrific moisture in the muffin. I hope you enjoy!

Applesauce Muffins

Ingredients:

Wet:

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 tsp. molasses

1 cup Splenda

Dry:

3/4 cup almond flour

2/3 cup coconut flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

1 cup unsweetened apple sauce

vegetable spray

Preheat oven to 375'

Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl and add chopped nuts if desired.

Blend wet ingredients in small bowl.

Alternate wet and apple sauce into dry ingredients, stirring after each addition. Coat mini-muffin pan with vegetable spray. Spoon batter into each compartment. Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Cool pan on rack for about 20 minutes before removing muffins. Allow muffins to completely cool on rack.

Nutrition Facts

24 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 74.1

Total Fat 5.4 g

Saturated Fat 1.8 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g

Cholesterol 22.4 mg

Sodium 99.5 mg

Potassium 34.2 mg

Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g

Dietary Fiber 2.0 g

Sugars 1.5 g

Protein 2.0 g

kentstyras
Hidden

Apple Crunch Muffins

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

* 1/4 cup shortening

* 1 large egg, slightly beaten

* 1/2 cup milk

* 1 cup chopped tart apples

* cored and grated

* Topping:

* 1/4 cup brown sugar

* 1/4 cup chopped pecans

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation:

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until fine crumbs form. Combine egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just enough to moisten. Stir in apples. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with crunchy topping. Bake in 375° F. oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Seagal

kentstyras, the Chef makes a grand contribution to the diabetic community with her diabetic friendly recipes.

I am afraid your ingredients are not meant for diabetics:(

Chef, thanks for your muffin recipe, don't have the ingredients at the moment, and may have to make substitutions, but they sound yummy. BTW, we are taking another trip (heading from San Francisco to Yellowstone) and I'm making the jalapeno/cheese muffins to take.

Keri

Larry H.

Chef,

Another welcome recipe which I will certainly try soon.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on problems with some products wanting to stay very wet inside even after extensive baking. I made a apple cake kind of product, a bit like the one given above but with the diabetic friendly ingredients. I made a recipe for a banana cake that came out fine inside, if anything it was a bit too dry after sitting a couple days. The apple cake I made twice, the first time was awful and I threw it out. The second time I reduced the liquid a lot and baked it for a hour and 45 minutes and it was reasonably moist without being pasty. But I don't think the recipe is still right. Do you have any kind of formula you use to determine how much liquid to put in a almond flour product? The second cake seemed nearly dry when I put it in the pan, but still tended to be hard to dry throughout. Could the diced raw apples keep the almond flour from wanting to dry?

Chef Barrae
Chef,

Another welcome recipe which I will certainly try soon.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on problems with some products wanting to stay very wet inside even after extensive baking. I made a apple cake kind of product, a bit like the one given above but with the diabetic friendly ingredients. I made a recipe for a banana cake that came out fine inside, if anything it was a bit too dry after sitting a couple days. The apple cake I made twice, the first time was awful and I threw it out. The second time I reduced the liquid a lot and baked it for a hour and 45 minutes and it was reasonably moist without being pasty. But I don't think the recipe is still right. Do you have any kind of formula you use to determine how much liquid to put in a almond flour product? The second cake seemed nearly dry when I put it in the pan, but still tended to be hard to dry throughout. Could the diced raw apples keep the almond flour from wanting to dry?

Larry, I don't use a specific forumla but know from all my trials and errors (heavy on the errors) how the batter should look. Sight is an important part of cooking, indeed. Your batter should be quite thick but not stiff. If that helps you at all.

Larry H.

Finally got around to trying this tonight. Unfortunately I still have the issue of it not being done even when testing clean. I have to figure out how to judge the batter as almond flour is really hard to get to bake properly it seems. They have a nice taste. I decided to put the muffins back in a low oven for a while and see what happens. I had that to work for a cake I tried to make that called for 45 minutes and it took an hour an a half.

GrammaBear

Larry,

I have many of the same problems using almond flour as you do. Since everyone's oven is different, it might be that you just have to do a lot of experimenting. I have an electric oven and what works most of the time for me is to lower the heat 25 degrees and bake the items a little bit longer. Also if the batter looks 'too thick' to me, I add a little bit of half-n-half to thin it just a smidgen.

GrammaBear

Larry H.

Granny,

It happens that this batch I made in a wood cooking stove. It would have seemed to have been warm enough. I put them back in for nearly a hour last night at around 250 to 300 for a while. I ate one this morning, they are still rather damp but the consistency is not like gooey as it was at first.

I made several muffin recipes that came in as regular ones do, a tad on the dry side but not damp. It seems to me they used a very limited amount of moisture. I am not sure if the sour cream plays a part in keeping things soft or not but another recipe I used that contained it also came in damp no matter how long I cooked it.

The idea is still a great one, but like you say, perfecting it is not easy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.