Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flowerbabe68

When is best time to take Metformin?

flowerbabe68

Recently put on Metformin XR 500 mg one time a day. When is best time to take it to hopefully cover the morning blood glucose spike caused by the dreaded Dawn Phenonomen?

princesslinda

If you're having trouble with your a.m. #'s, taking your metformin later in the evening may help.

I take metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, one when I get up in the morning and my evening dose around 10 pm.

flowerbabe68

Thank you,Princesslinda. My Dr. gave no time on the prescription. I have read different times others take it. The pharmacist told me to take it in the morning. I remembered this forum telling that taking it in the evening lessenned the side effects of nausea. I have been taking it at dinnertime to have the food help buffer it. If I take it late in the evening,I will have to eat something as it is supposed to be taken with food( have GERD and don't usually eat before going to bed). Another of those trial and error things. I have my first week in and haven't had too many problems with it. Occ have had a bear of a headache but that,too, has let up these last few days. Haven't seen much change in my morning readings yet, but only been on it one week. Thanks,again.

princesslinda

Let us know how your #'s respond to the change in time. I'm fortunate that metformin doesn't bother me on an empty stomach, I take my morning dose a couple hours before b/fast.

You might try taking it at night and have a protein shake with it. I like the EAS CarbAdvantage dark chocolate fudge.

As for headaches, I get one anytime my blood sugars start to elevate...so you might want to test to see what your blood sugar is when you have them.

It can take a few weeks to see much in the way of results...and you are on a very small dose. Even on the metformin, I find it nearly impossible to regularly get my fasting blood sugar to my goal of 110 or less.

jer.lawrence

I also took it at around 10-11pm, and found that it helped my morning numbers by a few points.

don1942

My Endo instructed me to take 1000mg before breakfast and 1000mg before dinner. Food helps to prevent nausea. I have significant raised dawn phenomenon BG levels and the doc never advised taking the Metformen before bed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.