Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aiah23

Asthma and type I during pregnancy?

aiah23

I was wondering if anyone on this forum is pregnant and also battles asthma. I was wondering if anyone had useful suggestions for helping with asthma and what medication changes you faced for that. I live in a really dry part of the States, NM (no it's not in Mexico) and we have some crazy levels of pollen going around. I'm wondering how on earth I'd battle any of that (with allergies) if I can't take my advair. Your responses are greatly appreciated!

e||ement

Me!

I have mild asthma, induced mainly from seasonal allergies and pet dander. I use symbicort on an as-needed basis (usually this is a preventative one that you take daily). I believe both symbicort and ventilan (sp?) are safe during pregnancy. I'm not sure about advair. Have you checked with Motherrisk?

I used symbicort through all of my pregnancies.

Also, if you know anything about acupuncture/pressure points there are some you can manipulate to help with breathing— but beware because some also can trigger labour!

I did acupuncture for a while when my allergies were really, really bad (before I got pregnant the first time), and it works tremendously (but you have to keep at it). I would say my allergic response reduced by roughly 70% after doing acupuncture regularly for a few months...and it STAYED that way after I stopped.

Just a thought if you are nervous about taking asthma meds!

aiah23
Me!

I have mild asthma, induced mainly from seasonal allergies and pet dander. I use symbicort on an as-needed basis (usually this is a preventative one that you take daily). I believe both symbicort and ventilan (sp?) are safe during pregnancy. I'm not sure about advair. Have you checked with Motherrisk?

I used symbicort through all of my pregnancies.

Also, if you know anything about acupuncture/pressure points there are some you can manipulate to help with breathing— but beware because some also can trigger labour!

I did acupuncture for a while when my allergies were really, really bad (before I got pregnant the first time), and it works tremendously (but you have to keep at it). I would say my allergic response reduced by roughly 70% after doing acupuncture regularly for a few months...and it STAYED that way after I stopped.

Just a thought if you are nervous about taking asthma meds!

That's really great to know, thanks! My internet research indicates that the meds you take during pregnancy are really determined by how severe your asthma is b/c the risk of an attack is worse to the fetus than taking inhaled medications (that changes if they're oral, etc). I guess I just wanted to hear from some other people b/c I hadn't done much research into it. Thanks so much! Fawn

snjohnston05

Hi!

I have moderate asthma, severe allergies, am a type 1 and am 20 weeks pregnant. I had to stop my advair, singulair, astelin, and xyzal when I became pregnant. I live in Ohio and my allergies have become quite unbareable at times so I now take Claritin (which I've always hated, but I don't have any other options right now) when needed and my immunologist has me on Pulmicort once daily for my asthma.

I have to admit that now that I can't take my "usual" drug regimen for allergies and asthma, I really want this pregnancy to be over so I can go back to them!

It is quite difficult being pregnant with all these medical issues and not being able to do anything about them besides just dealing with them on a day to day basis.

Pregnancy can affect your breathing (whether mom is an asthmatic or not) so it can be quite bothersome at times. Personally, I get out of breath so easily now that I can't even exercise anymore :(

Oh, saline nasal spray is useful at times, too!

I hope I haven't been too negative....just my personal experience :)

aiah23

SNJOHNSTON05:

So sorry that is what you're dealing with. I've found using a neti pot a few times a week makes allergies more bareable, I've noticed taking alavert does nothing at this point anyway b/c allergies are outrageous this year! I will definitely keep that in mind, the Rx changes, etc. Best of luck to you!

mazea

I didn't have asmthma then when I became pregnant developed asmthma throughout the pregnancy. I went to the doctor he gave me an inhaler. It helped to clean the fabric materials at home. But it didn't go away until after birth.

aiah23
I didn't have asmthma then when I became pregnant developed asmthma throughout the pregnancy. I went to the doctor he gave me an inhaler. It helped to clean the fabric materials at home. But it didn't go away until after birth.

Yeah I'm pretty good about that anyway. I'm not a paranoid neat freak but I like things cleaned and I like it done the right way the first time! We have leather couches rather than fabric (which has personally helped the last couple of years). In general, I hear about 1/3 of women's asthma symptoms during pregnancy are unchanged, 1/3 get worse, and 1/3 get better. I'm prepared for whichever way it goes but I always feel better having heard from women who've already been there!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.