Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buddy7

Any one from the UK, SCOTLAND, WALES or IRELAND?

buddy7

Some of us may have notice, where have Redlan, Bunbury, Gary W, and Irish Joe got too, use to be regular as clockwork on the DF, If you are still around Guys, please come on and say Hi.

S**t I'll probably get really slated for name calling.

Muttley

Hello there am new and I did notice most people are from the States I think and some of the units and measurements look slightly different.

buddy7
Hello there am new and I did notice most people are from the States I think and some of the units and measurements look slightly different.

Sorry to be a bit late, but welcome my friend.

Sophieee:D

I Live In Essex :D... Most Of The Measurements Are Different So I Have No Idea What People Are Saying Their BG's Are. One Thing I Am Happy About Living In England Is NHS Funds Everything :P xx

buddy7
I Live In Essex :D... Most Of The Measurements Are Different So I Have No Idea What People Are Saying Their BG's Are. One Thing I Am Happy About Living In England Is NHS Funds Everything :P xx

Welcome to the forum Sophieee! so pleased you have taken time to participate in the discussion. Also pleased to here you're an Essex neighbour, :) our NHS has it's good points.

"Most Of The Measurements Are Different"

Because we're all so different Sophieee! given time, you'll read of so many ways, used to control our diabetes, many are diametrically opposed, but well meaning, but after awhile you'll learn that there's no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment, and you'll soon discover the food plan that works for you.

Good luck with your pump application, glad to have you on board, come on line often, read the post, ask as many questions you like, you'll always get a reply. Lots to learn here.

Done any Lakeside shopping of late. :D

I Meant Like The Americans Use Different Units To Measure Their Blood Glucose Than We Do :D

Thanks :D, Have Started 3 Month Plan Towards Pump, All I Need Is To Keep To It And Visit Psychologist And I Should Have It In August. Hopefully I Can Get It Sorted Out In The Six Weeks Holiday So It Will Be Easier At School :D

Although I Only Live About 15 Mins Away From Lakeside Shopping I Have Only Ever Been There Twice:T

buddy7
hello,

im a new english member,

nice to know other uk Ds use this forum :)

Welcome to the forum biggleton! Also pleased to have met you on the forum, where abouts are you in the UK?

Can assure you, we're not alone, they are quite a few of us on here.

Do tell us a little of yourself, are you T1 OR 2 and how do you manage your diabetes?

buddy7
I Meant Like The Americans Use Different Units To Measure Their Blood Glucose Than We Do :D

Thanks :D, Have Started 3 Month Plan Towards Pump, All I Need Is To Keep To It And Visit Psychologist And I Should Have It In August. Hopefully I Can Get It Sorted Out In The Six Weeks Holiday So It Will Be Easier At School :D

Although I Only Live About 15 Mins Away From Lakeside Shopping I Have Only Ever Been There Twice:T

Thanks for the response, when you're on line next, there's a converter, R/H side, under Site Navigation, PRESS Converters, makes life a lot easier, UK mmol/L & US mg/dL, have a play around with it, you'll soon work out, how it works.

"I Have Only Ever Been There Twice"

Then you're missing out, I can't keep myself away from the place. "Lakeside"

Hope things work out for you with the pump over the holiday period, imagine your first day with the pump back to school. The questions from your school mates, you'll probably, can't wait to get home that evening. :D

I'm sure all will be well with your new pump, and your diabetes control will be a thing of the past.

Ohhh Thanks :D

Hahaha.. Might Have To Bully One Of My Friends Into Going Lakeside With Me Now :T

I'll Just Tell Them Its A Tracking Device So My Mum Can Find Me ;)

And I'm Guessing You Live Fairly Close To Lakeside Then :T

Stuboy

I'm sure all will be well with your new pump, and your diabetes control will be a thing of the past.

Surely not lol, Control will be the thing of the future!!!

buddy7
Surely not lol, Control will be the thing of the future!!!

After that post It came to me I boobed, my apologies Stu, I stand corrected.

Us T2s what do we know.

buddy7
Ohhh Thanks :D

I'll Just Tell Them Its A Tracking Device So My Mum Can Find Me ;)

And I'm Guessing You Live Fairly Close To Lakeside Then :T

A poor excuse, but sounds feasible,

You got that right, I could literally spit on the place. Surely not one of my apt remarks, but you know what I mean. :)

Next time I go there I'll be sure to watch for patches of spit.. If I see any I'll know who to hold responsible :T

buddy7
Next time I go there I'll be sure to watch for patches of spit.. If I see any I'll know who to hold responsible :T

For that I'll put my hands up, but to have you sliding all over the place on my account. No way.:D

Kat7675

I'm from the north east. I was diagnosed when I was 6 and a half September 2002- had it going on 9 years this year

buddy7
I'm from the north east. I was diagnosed when I was 6 and a half September 2002- had it going on 9 years this year

Well Katie hope I've got that right. Welcome to the forum and so young makes you a Type 1 diabetic. We're so pleased to have you on board, and there's so much to learn of this awful disease we so endure. Can only hope both you and Mum come on line and read some of the old posts. A wealth of knowledge about T1 diabetes.

I send you and your family my kindness and profound regards, do stay with us loads to learn.:)

Cormac_Doyle

I'm based in Ireland - don't know if that counts as close :)

BTW The (UK/Irish/European/Canadian/Australian/)^H^H^H Normal measurements (mmol/liter) can be very easily converted to the old-fashioned numbers still used in the USA (mg/litre)

Simply multiply or divide by 18 (or reference the chart below ... the range below is the "safe" range - any number outside this range should be considered "bad" ... so whether someone says 250 mg or 1.2 mmol - you know it is BAD) :) :)

4.0 mmol = 72 mg

4.5 mmol = 81 mg

5.0 mmol = 90 mg

5.5 mmol = 99 mg

6.0 mmol = 108 mg

6.5 mmol = 117 mg

7.0 mmol = 126 mg

7.5 mmol = 135 mg

8.0 mmol = 144 mg

8.5 mmol = 153 mg

9.0 mmol = 162 mg

9.5 mmol = 171 mg

10.0 mmol = 180 mg

buddy7

BTW The (UK/Irish/European/Canadian/Australian/)^H^H^H Normal measurements (mmol/liter) can be very easily converted to the old-fashioned numbers still used in the USA (mg/litre)

Simply multiply or divide by 18 (or reference the chart below ... the range below is the "safe" range - any number outside this range should be considered "bad" ... so whether someone says 250 mg or 1.2 mmol - you know it is BAD) :) :)

4.0 mmol = 72 mg

4.5 mmol = 81 mg

5.0 mmol = 90 mg

5.5 mmol = 99 mg

6.0 mmol = 108 mg

6.5 mmol = 117 mg

7.0 mmol = 126 mg

7.5 mmol = 135 mg

8.0 mmol = 144 mg

8.5 mmol = 153 mg

9.0 mmol = 162 mg

9.5 mmol = 171 mg

10.0 mmol = 180 mg

Of course my friend. "Any one from the UK, Scotland, Wales or Ireland" Hi Cormac haven't seen your face around for some time. If my memory serves me right, the last time was when you answered my thread. "Would you eat or drink the milk of cloned farm" Hope to see more of you around soon.:D

b7

Kat7675
Well Katie hope I've got that right. Welcome to the forum and so young makes you a Type 1 diabetic. We're so pleased to have you on board, and there's so much to learn of this awful disease we so endure. Can only hope both you and Mum come on line and read some of the old posts. A wealth of knowledge about T1 diabetes.

I send you and your family my kindness and profound regards, do stay with us loads to learn.:)

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. My real name is Kathleen (though I get called Kathy or Kat by friends and family) and you are right with my being a Type 1. A lot of my peers first thought that I was Type 2 because that was what they had heard most about as their relatives have been affected by Type 2 and not Type 1 like I was so both my peers and I had to learn about it along the way- my parents also. I am the first one in my entire family to be hit with Type 1 Diabetes and after about nine years, because I aspire to be an author, I have actually decided to write an autobiography of my experience with diabetes and how much it has affected mine and my family's lives.

buddy7
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. My real name is Kathleen (though I get called Kathy or Kat by friends and family) and you are right with my being a Type 1. A lot of my peers first thought that I was Type 2 because that was what they had heard most about as their relatives have been affected by Type 2 and not Type 1 like I was so both my peers and I had to learn about it along the way- my parents also. I am the first one in my entire family to be hit with Type 1 Diabetes and after about nine years, because I aspire to be an author, I have actually decided to write an autobiography of my experience with diabetes and how much it has affected mine and my family's lives.

Thanks for your response post Kathleen, I can so relate to the confusion between your peers. Came from a family plague with this awful disease, will go as far to say 100s years of diabetes with-in my family, so nothing was new to me when I was diagnosed T2 The art of it all is knowing how to managed things.

May I be one of the first to wish you all the success of you becoming an author and the same with your autobiography.

They are some very clever people on here, you'll get the chance to learn from, so do come on here often and read the posts, will be helpful, I can assure you. In the mean time all the best.

I send you this, some tips on diabetes management.

Managing Diabetes - Diabetes Management

Kat7675

To be honest- I don't see diabetes as a disease. More of an obstacle that needs to be embraced. Thank you for the link on managing diabetes but as I have had it going on nine years this year, I think I know my way round managing it. :D You actually are one of the first that has wished me luck for my autobiography and my career as an author as my peers don't really know about my autobiography (they know perfectly well about my wishes to be an author) as I started it during the Easter break. They will probably find out soon enough. I shall try and read as many posts as I can but with my being a schoolgirl still I probably need to focus more on getting good grades at school.

buddy7
To be honest- I don't see diabetes as a disease. More of an obstacle that needs to be embraced. Thank you for the link on managing diabetes but as I have had it going on nine years this year, I think I know my way round managing it. :D You actually are one of the first that has wished me luck for my autobiography and my career as an author as my peers don't really know about my autobiography (they know perfectly well about my wishes to be an author) as I started it during the Easter break. They will probably find out soon enough. I shall try and read as many posts as I can but with my being a schoolgirl still I probably need to focus more on getting good grades at school.

In reply to your post: Just like to say thanks for the friend request: Accepted; “I don't see diabetes as a disease” The long and short of it, as like most diseases, leave things untreated; you die. Not at all suggesting that you or your parents may ever take this route. In my lifetime I've seen some horrendous diabetes related deaths. In my family, on hindsight, it’s now clearly obvious, most in someway were avoidable. Most of it I’d say, down to poor diabetes management, and the much needed 21 century technology/medication, that have kept so much of us alive today. So many people died unnecessary in that era. With today’s management and medicines, things could have been so different.

However I’m chuffed, enlighten by your elegant definition; “More of an obstacle that needs to be embraced” Now :D why didn't I think of that, been around the business for some time. Now! Not of course as long as the Egyptians dating back from 1500 BC. When frequent urinating was a common symptom for diabetes. And much later, 100 AD. A Greek physician called Aretaeus came along named the condition “Diabetes” Which is Greek for “siphon” One that urinated quite often.

One hopes your endeavours be good ones, Yes! Reading some of the old posts may be considered a great asset, but of course, if you are to become a great scholar, to write many books, not forgetting your autobiography, than, one has to get good grades.

I hope you do very well with your lessons at school. Kathleen.

I’m so sorry I haven’t got back to you earlier.

b7

Jim H

Hi

I'm from North East England. In a town near Middlesbrough.

I found this place by searching on Google Diabeties Forums, it was the first thing that came up. Most of my initial questions was answered, however some some of my questions are specific to the UK. So a year I am a member of the said UK based forum and of course of DiabetiesUK.

Thank you for the member who posted the conversion factor for BG from US to UK, I'm sure there are plenty of converters on the net too. I have read both in the Balance magazine and on plenty of websites, that the Hb1ac results are changing too, however mine are still given as a %.

As you can see from my post count, I don't use these forums much. I'm just addicted to Car forms.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.