Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

A daily exercise thread?....

rak1978

CONFESSION: I took the long route today so that I could report in an extra 20 minutes on this thread. (it's normally a 40 minute walk, I got to log in at over an hour!) I guess the purpose (for me) of this thread is working! My intent was motivation and accountability for myself....and, of course, information & inspiration.

:)

Timmy Mac

I had a track meet today so i didn't run as much as i normally do in practice. but today i did..

1 mile warmup

2 100m striders (in between a jog and a sprint)

12 20m sprints (4 for long jump, 8 for pole vault)

and 1 all-out 200m sprint

i love easy track meets like this :)

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Today is very difficult for me. It started out pretty easy. With predictions of rain/thunder storms the idea of taking a "rest day" seemed easy -- not to mention logical as I have logged over 120 miles in the previous five days and my legs are fatigued and I "should" take a recovery day.

Decision made, Linda and I planned out a day with no riding either on the tandem or me on my single. Well, the rains came early and left within minutes. Now it's clear, bright and sunny -- perfect cycling weather. However, my legs still feel a bit stiff and will appreciate the rest.

The problem is that I/we don't have the discipline to take easy-spin recovery days. Every time we swing our legs over the tandem (or me over the single) it rapidly becomes "hammer time." I/we have to come to the realization that we are endorphine addicts.

There is a fairly flat route we could use for an easy spin ride every fourth or fifth day, but I'm not sure we would ever actually use it without winding up hammering away.

We're staying off the bikes and doing other things around the house but the desire to be out-there hammering away is very strong. Tomorrow we'll be back at it and probaly doing a lot better than the past few days as our performance tends to diminish after the third or fourth day.

For the moment we're both feeling the frustration. The up-side is that this is a "positive addiction" so we're not all that worried.

ljjhouser

Gosh....Scratch and Rodbeezy - I'm worn out just reading all the work you do. I think I better skip my workout for today. I'm tired now.

Too late, already did it 30 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes NuStep, 10 minutes bike. Larry

dineshdesai

I walk 5 miles everyday in morning, after lunch also I walk 30 minutes evening I go to gym and take 2 1 hr. excercise classes. With my experience excercise is very helpful in managing diabetes

aiah23
20 min pilates

30 min laps in pool

blood sugar before was 88, after was 72

:)

Walked this morning again, just approx. 2 miles. The challenge has been preventing a low blood sugar when my blood sugar is already slightly higher (just over an hour post-breakfast). This was the first morning I didn't have a low post-exercise! Of course, it was 135 so I think tomorrow I'm only going to do 3 glucose tablets instead of 4 and see if that gets me down to the level I need. We're all our own guinea pigs!

Fawn

Timmy Mac

800m warm up

4 100m striders under 17 seconds

2 "split" 400m's (sprint 300m, 30 second rest, sprint 100m)

- 300m at 47s

- 100m at 15s

2 200m sprints

- between 27 and 28 seconds

2 100m sprints

- high 12 for the first, low 13 for the second

it was way too hot today to do a speed workout

raffi

Did my normal 2.6 mile walk at lunch and it was not looking good, yet again, for a bike ride. Then, after dinner, the sun came out and I threw caution to the wind and took a 6 mile (lots of hills) ride around our block. It's been raining (or snowing!) all week, so the gravel roads were soft and muddy. That made it a harder workout than I expected.

fooddreamer

8 mile run for me today. I too am training for a half-marathon. This was one of our fall-back weeks, where we fell back to a lower mileage. Last Friday was 10 miles, my first ever double-digits.

Usually run 3 times a week, 2 short and one long. And then a day of "speed training" (interval training) at the track.

This weekend will be my first ever road race, on Mother's Day. 3.5 miles. Psyched for that!

On off-days, I often take a walk in the evenings for 30 minutes. It's a good way to bring down my fbg.

rak1978

So far today....

1/2 hour walk w/ the kiddos

blood sugar before was 120, after was 50. :( Rough morning.

Once I stabilize I'll be doing my pilates dvd and swimming.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The rest day is over and we got out for a mid-day tandem ride. 25 miles covered in 1:36:47 at an average speed of 15.4 mph (top speed a mere 36.2 as Linda was moving around and I had to scrub some speed to maintain control we usually get closer to 40 on this particular downhill). Our Garmin calculates a caloric expenditure of over1500 calories. This is our hillier route with some good climbs that are in the 5 - 7% range. We do have a longer, and even hillier, route that we haven't done yet this year.

I have to admit that taking a day off yesterday did result in more power and speed and a lot less muscle discomfort. I guess when you get over 60 you cannot hammer every day and not pay the price.

Tomorrow is forecast to be rainy most of the day so it will be anohther "rest day" albeit driven by nature not by necessity.

Oh yes, I did my BowFlex this morning as I do every Monday, Wednesday and Friday as I have to maintain the upper body muscles that keep my shoulder area working well.

We're all doing quite well -- keep on doing what you're doing!

I almost forgot to give you some background on us: Linda is 65 and I'm 62, we both started tandeming 15 years ago when we were a lot heavier. We've lost over 130 pounds between us and our current gross vehicle weight (courtesy of a friend with an industrial scale nearby) is between 320 and 325 pounds depending on the day and the amount of water we carry. Our pedals are 90-degrees out-of-phase giving us each an independent power stroke. I'm 6' and Linda stretches up to just about 4' 10". We're both retired and Tandeming is our retirement activity. We try to ride almost every day and usually log over 5000 miles a year. Finally we lead NJ's only tandem bicycle club.

Scratch

Did the following in 15 minutes:

40 burpees

40 med ball slams

10 40 yard sprints

7 40 yard 60-lb sandbag carries

rak1978

Ronin: That is so great that you guys have found something to do together. How fun!

Scratch: That's intense! I need to start doing stuff like that...I have to be gentle w/ exercise though cause I have a terrible back. :( Hope the rest of your day was better than the start! :)

So, finally made it in the pool for about 70 laps (small home pool), plus my ridiculous looking deep end jumping jacks for about 10 minutes (picture treading water with a little more excitement).

Starting blood sugar was 260 (really bad day) and ending was 107.....glad I didn't start out at 150! :eek:

No pilates today...taking the kids to a concert tonight. Fun stuff.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

I'm feeling both justified and frustrated. Today was an exercise in caution because of the things that we did, and didn't do.

We did not ride the tandem, nor did I ride my single bike. The rains started around 0900 and made the roads really wet. But that was short lived and then the skies cleared, the roads dried, but the wind is still blowing very hard. In our area, as I type this, the wind is sustained at over 30 mph with gusts near 40! The potential for a fall or getting pushed off your line in a cross wind is too great, so we bagged the ride. Caution won out.

Now, about what I did do. I trashed two heads of Romaine lettuce. Why? Due to the scare about E-Coli-0145. Yes, the recall is limited to a small range of products from Freshways Foods which provide pre-cut greens and vegetables to various institutions. So why be afraid of the heads of Romaine I had in my fridge? Simply because the CDC has still not determined the actual source, and that could be anywhere in the chain from the farm through to the retail outlet. If it is in the farm, I do not know where my local market got the lettuce from (neither do they -- I asked them and got a shrug along with the assurance that it wasn't from Freshway but what farm it came from -- not a clue.)

Unfortunately, the forecast for tomorrow is for continued high winds and gusts so I doubt we will be riding tomorrow. So, we'll probably go to a concert instead.

So, today's exercise log is empty. I did take some time to clean and tune up the drive train on both the tandem and single bike. We also watched the Pologue Time Trial of the 2010 Giro on Universal Sports.

rak1978

Did another 1 hr walk (again, mostly hills, pushing baby, pulling dog), then got in the pool for about 30 minutes (laps- freestyle & kickboard, and treading water for a while).

Blood sugar before was 160 (crazy dp lately! Woke up at 107, ate eggs and sausage, and that's what I get :()

After walk & pool was 110...didn't crash as much today because I didn't have a bolus on board.

Maybe I'll mix it up tomorrow, but the walking, swimming, and pilates seems to be a good combo for me (and my back!). It's so beautiful outside this time of year. And, I get a nice expansive ocean and hill view on my walk. Very refreshing.

Hope the winds go away soon, Ronin!

fooddreamer

Rachel, I am sorry you can't seem to find a good pattern from you bg after exercise! Keep it up, though. I can't help but think that no matter what, it's good for you.

Today I finished my first road race. 3.5 miles in 29 minutes. I am thrilled!!!

rak1978
Rachel, I am sorry you can't seem to find a good pattern from you bg after exercise! Keep it up, though. I can't help but think that no matter what, it's good for you.

Today I finished my first road race. 3.5 miles in 29 minutes. I am thrilled!!!

Thank you. Exercise is frustrating for me...not just because of my blood sugar fluctuations (sometimes they go up as much as 200+ mg/dl), but because I have a bad back and it aggravates my back. Right now, it seems that when I try to solve one problem, it makes another worse. But, you're right....no matter what, exercise is good for you....I just have to be VERY wise in which exercise I choose to do or I'll hurt myself. What I would love to be doing is running. I used to love to run (before diabetes, kids, and back issues). Even did a half marathon. That was fun. Maybe I'll get strong enough to do that again, but right now, it would be stupid of me to attempt it when there are other options that won't cause me to be immobile. This was probably way too much information. Anyway, thanks for the sympathy. I know we all struggle in different areas. I'm determined to make this work.

Great job on your race. That's amazing :).

fooddreamer
Thank you. Exercise is frustrating for me...not just because of my blood sugar fluctuations (sometimes they go up as much as 200+ mg/dl), but because I have a bad back and it aggravates my back. Right now, it seems that when I try to solve one problem, it makes another worse. But, you're right....no matter what, exercise is good for you....I just have to be VERY wise in which exercise I choose to do or I'll hurt myself. What I would love to be doing is running. I used to love to run (before diabetes, kids, and back issues). Even did a half marathon. That was fun. Maybe I'll get strong enough to do that again, but right now, it would be stupid of me to attempt it when there are other options that won't cause me to be immobile. This was probably way too much information. Anyway, thanks for the sympathy. I know we all struggle in different areas. I'm determined to make this work.

Great job on your race. That's amazing :).

Oh my, I feel for you on the back stuff. I have an old sacro-iliac joint injury that flares up during pregnancy. When diagnosed with GD with my third (which may actually be undiagnosed pre-d), I had to walk after lunch and dinner just to be able to eat enough to stay full.

When my back flared up again, I was literally walking at a snail's pace. What used to take me 15 minutes was taking me 30! But it still worked magic on my bg levels, and I walked through the pain for a good 5 weeks.

Hang in there.

Scratch

Only got in one workout over the weekend on Saturday. Total of 54 pullups and 102 pushups done in 15 minutes.

rak1978

Anybody have any creative ideas for the gym tonight? I need to do about 40 minutes cardio and 15 min or so strength training and/or stretching. Open to new ideas!

P.s. I hate the treadmill.

Didn't do any exercise yesterday unless LOADS of housework counts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.