Diabetes forums
rak1978

A daily exercise thread?....

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The previous four days have been windy with very strong gusts last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Finally, today (Tuesday) there was virtually no wind at all. What a relief. Linda and I blasted our way over our 22 mile loop in 1:23:07 with an average speed of 15.9 mph. Linda was quite strong and much of the ride our average was over 17 (the problem is that we have to climb to get back home).

I will make one comment on the effects of exercise on BG levels: There is a lot going on when you exercise and your body is sending all kinds of signals to your systems as you use up energy.

Even though I'm only a Pre-D I do know that a very intense session (much like today's ride) will result in elevated BG levels becuse I drain the glucose in my muscles and get large liver-dumps into my blood stream. It does take some time following the exertion for the muscle cells and liver cells to regain balance and eventually result in a "nice" number on the meter.

Scratch

15 minutes -- 57 ring dips and 49 ring pullups

15 minutes -- 124 snatches of the 50-lb dumbbell, 16x4 left, 15x4 right

rak1978

Part 1: Warning: This is going to sound like a broken record.....

One hour walk, all hills, pushing jogging stroller. Felt like I was walking through quicksand today. Maybe 12am is not a good bedtime :T . It is amazingly beautiful outside today. Almost 70 degrees, the ocean was sparkling and blue, the hills were so green & covered w/ those yellow flowers (weeds), there is still snow on the mountains...love it.

Blood sugar before was 78, ate a lara bar & 1/2 a banana

After walk was 90....I'll take that! :)

Part 2: TBD...probably laps when I get a chance, but pool has lost it's heat

ODAR

Monday - was BodyPump class (59) - 1 hour duration

Tuesday - was Walking on Treadmill with height elevation at 10 for 35 mins.

Wednesday - Indoor Biking going up and down hills 20 mins but managed to get my heartbeat working at 80% ( I find this harder than the sprinting on the treadmill)!

Tonight - Thursday is shopping nite - so no exercise for me:D

rak1978

30 minutes pilates, 30 minutes swimming (laps & random pool exercises...no jumping jacks today)

blood sugar before was 180, after was 144

Scratch (or anyone else): Got any tips for at home exercises for someone without rings or sledgehammers? I love swimming and pilates, but they don't make me sweaty. I need something that makes me sweaty to add to the mix. The walks are great, but I can only do those on days where I only have the baby and the other two are at school (which is only 2 days a week). Any ideas?

rak1978

Okay, I topped off the exercise for the day with a heckuvalotof

walking lunges and some jumprope (that's great for my back, right? Yeah :cool: ).

I want to get in crazy good shape, yet I can't seem to lose a pound.

Scratch

Scratch (or anyone else): Got any tips for at home exercises for someone without rings or sledgehammers? I love swimming and pilates, but they don't make me sweaty. I need something that makes me sweaty to add to the mix. The walks are great, but I can only do those on days where I only have the baby and the other two are at school (which is only 2 days a week). Any ideas?

Bodyweight exercises can do very nicely. Squatting without any weight, trying to do as many as you can in 15 minutes can make you work pretty good. You can also apply that idea to pushups and chinups, you can combine the exercises as well, trying doing like alternating squats and pushups for 15 minutes.

Jumping jacks and burpees are very good for more of a cardio emphasis.

There's also the deck of cards idea. You assign an exercise to a suit, shuffle a deck of cards and then do the number on the card or 10 in the case of face cards for the number of reps. Something like this --

Diamonds -- squats

Hearts -- burpees

Spades -- chinups

Clubs -- pushups

There's a lot that can be done without any equipment. I've been finding that the idea of the 15 minute time frame where you try to do as much as you can and then improve on that in subsequent workouts makes for a very good way to build up, learn how much you are capable of, and can really make the heart pound.

Scratch

Last night I played around again with the sledgehammer til my forearms ached.

This morning, static holds with arms pushing down on the rings and also trying to lower myself into a front lever.

rak1978
Bodyweight exercises can do very nicely. Squatting without any weight, trying to do as many as you can in 15 minutes can make you work pretty good. You can also apply that idea to pushups and chinups, you can combine the exercises as well, trying doing like alternating squats and pushups for 15 minutes.

Jumping jacks and burpees are very good for more of a cardio emphasis.

There's also the deck of cards idea. You assign an exercise to a suit, shuffle a deck of cards and then do the number on the card or 10 in the case of face cards for the number of reps. Something like this --

Diamonds -- squats

Hearts -- burpees

Spades -- chinups

Clubs -- pushups

There's a lot that can be done without any equipment. I've been finding that the idea of the 15 minute time frame where you try to do as much as you can and then improve on that in subsequent workouts makes for a very good way to build up, learn how much you are capable of, and can really make the heart pound.

Thank you, Sir. I'll give some of these ideas a try today. Looks like I'm going to be S-O-R-E tomorrow. Standard girly question...will these exercises make me bulk up or will they just tone? My goal is to lose weight and to be toned, but not bulky.

Thanks again! I'm excited to try something new. My legs are barely functional today from those walking lunges yesterday (4 laps across the backyard).

Scratch
Thank you, Sir. I'll give some of these ideas a try today. Looks like I'm going to be S-O-R-E tomorrow. Standard girly question...will these exercises make me bulk up or will they just tone? My goal is to lose weight and to be toned, but not bulky.

Thanks again! I'm excited to try something new. My legs are barely functional today from those walking lunges yesterday (4 laps across the backyard).

Bulking up really isn't an issue for women. There are three things necessary for muscle growth -- sufficiently stressful exercise, protein consumption and testosterone. The vast majority of women don't produce enough testosterone to pack on a lot of muscle mass.

But that doesn't mean a woman can't be strong. There's a large neurological component to strength, the force produced by motor units and their muscle fibers is very much a function of how well the nervous system knows how to recruit the motor units. There is then also the issue of how well conditioned those muscle fibers are -- they better they are conditioned, the more the nervous system can call upon them to contract.

In the process of building strength, a toned look is fairly inevitable. There'll likely be some small gains of muscle too, but nothing that would make you look bulky. It would just make you look fit and strong.

From what I've been able to read and understand, exercise is only a very small contributor to weight loss. That's very much about diet, although working out can help by burning more calories and elevating the resting metabolic rate of an individual. Working muscle burns calories, muscle that's been worked and is kept in condition by the body to do work burns more calories at rest than muscle that isn't used or rarely used.

Yeah, no doubt you're sore from those lunges. They can be very deceptive and you don't find out what really happened til the next day.

rak1978

Thanks, Scratch! I agree w/ you that you about exercise and weight loss. I've lost approx 60 lbs twice (after my first two babies) without any consistent exercise. I "exercised" portion control. This time, I'm trying to balance the two (exercise and eating right). Having a hard time getting into a groove. I've either been doing one or the other, but not both at the same time. I'll get there.

Thanks again! I'm going to try some of those things out today....have to google "burpees".

rak1978

Oh my gosh, just googled the burpees. If I don't check back in later, it's because they killed me!

Did I mention I'm terribly uncoordinated?

fooddreamer

10 mile training run for me today. I actually took quite a tumble when I slipped on some wet grass. Fortunately, I only scraped up my arm, nothing serious. My half-marathon is in a little over two weeks, so I am glad I didn't injure myself!

Rachel, I sometimes do things around the house to get my heartrate up, too. Mopping is fabulous exercise (especially when you have kids as messy as mine ;) )

But sometimes I stand at the bottom of the stairs and march up and down on that bottom step to get some cardio. Then I do some light resistance work by doing tricep dips on a chair, some ab work (if your back allows for it), some push-ups, lunges, things like that. It's astonishing to realize how hard you worked out when you feel it the next day.

Scratch
Did the following in 15 minutes:

40 burpees

40 med ball slams

10 40 yard sprints

7 40 yard 60-lb sandbag carries

Got along a bit farther in today's run at this.

45 burpees

40 med ball slams

12 40 yard sprints

8 40 yard 60-lb sandbag carries

rak1978

little bits at a time today....

1)40 minute walk (mostly stop and go though...baby is at the lovely tantrum age and is not at all confined in the stroller....in, out, in, out, in, out...oh, the anxiety is coming back just thinking about it again)

2)20 minutes pilates

3)10, yes that's right...10 burpees. Scratch, 45??? Sheesh. They are hard.

4) walking lunges

Timmy Mac

played airsoft for 4 hours today :D not exactly a planned out routine, but i'm sore from all the running nonetheless. (well.. the running and the welts on my eyebrow and knees)

Scratch

Played around with the 10-lb sledgehammer last evening til it felt like my forearms might fall off. Had a lot of hand cramping issues the rest of the evening after that.

rak1978

1 hr walk/run all hills (long hills! :mad: ) on Saturday. Nothing yesterday. I'm getting sick, so this should be a challenging week for exercising.

foxl

Friday, Intense intervals.

Saturday, less-intense but still intervals.

Sunday, barely sat down all day, but no TIME for intervals and KNEES HURT.

Planning more intense intervals, for tonight ...

dbaratta

I'll start.....

Today I did 20 min laps in the pool & about 5 minutes of jumping jacks in the pool (don't laugh, it was hard).

Planning on doing pilates after "nigh-night" time.

My blood sugar before the pool was 140, after was 200.

Just what I was hoping for (sarcasm).

Feel free to share :D

I read somewhere that if your BG goes up after exercise that you should exercise later in the day and not in the mornings. I am assuming that is because of liver dump. Not sure when you exercised but just wanted to pass along that bit of info. as always every "body" is different in its responses.

fooddreamer

Speed training today at the track.

1 mile slow warm up. Then intervals of 200m as fast as we can go, with 400m recovery. Then shortened the recovery interval slowly down to 100m. We covered about 4 miles that way. I can feel it in my hammies!