Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clebo

!000mg. of Metformin (2-500mg. pills)

clebo

Hi! Just wondering for those who take 2-500mg. pills of Metformin(1000 mg ) a day- What time do you take your pills?

MrsMia

I take two 500 milligram pills twice a day but whether it was 1000 or 2000 like I am taking now I would probably take it the same way. I take two pills right after breakfast and two pills right after dinner.

princesslinda

I take one pill in the morning when I first get up (I'm not bothered by gastric side effects, so I don't always take it with food). I take my evening dose around 10 pm....as taking it later gives me better fasting readings than if I take it with dinner.

clebo

Thank you princesslinda!! That's what I needed to know!! It sounds like a great plan!! I took mine at 2pm and 2am(to help my wakeup Bg ).... My wake is low 100's but the rest of the day my Bg is rising, felt like the 2pm was too late in the day for the other dose..

I'm gonna try 8am and 8pm.... hoping my wakeup Bg will be ok..... and the rest of the day will improve with some help!!

Do you think 12 hours between doses is too long?

aggie168

When I was taking Metformin, I did it with meals. So with breakfast and with dinner. I did that for many years. I stop taking it now as I am on insulin :)

princesslinda

I was told to take it twice a day, which I took to mean every 12 hrs. I originally took it at 6 am and 6 pm. However, I wanted to see if taking the 2nd dose later ((around bedtime) would help the fasting level....and it did.

Metformin-ER (extended release) might also be an option for you.

clebo

I go see the Dr. in June, so I'll try the 8am and 8pm and see what happens and if no improvement. I'll inquire about the metformin- ER.... in June..... Thanks for your help!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.