Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yannah

Low carbing with no gallbladder

yannah

so people keep asking me how I will low carb after surgery....

and people keep asking if it was low carbing that caused my gallbladder to go.

No my gallbladder was full of stones in 2008. no I was not low carbing then I was just eating like ****ing **** then.

and yes I a going to be low carbing after my gallbladder is gone.

I am pissed.

this is how I hear it.....

"told you your diet would hurt ya"

and "ha! you cannot low carb anymore, huh?"

people are jealous I have kept this up for 2 years. I swear its true.

and yes, I am going to low carb eve better with no gallbladder.

right?

man.............

janice21475
. . . . yes, I am going to low carb eve better with no gallbladder. . . . .

You owe them no explanation. You are an adult and do not have to justify your dietary choices to the food police. Let their comments fall on deaf ears - ignore any baiting.

I am glad you are able to explain to us that it was nothing to do with Low Carbing that brought the problem on but those nay-sayers do not want to hear the truth, so don't waste your breath.

If someone asked you a question and you could tell they are questioning their former beliefs - then go for it and tell them all about the wonders of Low Carbing.

(as an aside, I see a correlation between non belief in low carbing and non belief in God - you can not talk someone into believing either thing, it has to come from within the person and it is my belief it is a gift from God but you have to want to believe and act on your belief)

Hope you feeling all well soon,

Janice & Husband

ant hill

Hey Kelli, Don't be upset as good complex carbs and exercise is the way to fly there baby!!! ;):D Kelli please do some enjoyable exercise and create some hard earned sweat. So get movin there girl and kick butt. :D

yannah

yeah but Peter, I am not going to eat many complex carbs. I am not going to do it. a few, but under 50 a day. that is still whats going to happen. If I eat more carbs, I will have to take more medication or start insulin, and I am not doing that cycle.

I have talked to many people who have no gallbladder. seems different people have different foods that affect them and many no change at all. seems individual.

I am not going to change my plan.

panicked by the very idea.

soso

I did not have any problem with going low carb with no gall bladder

the bile drips straight into the system instead of being stored and then squirted out in a big swoosh after meal. I eat the fat right off a pork chop..I have chug a lugged heavy cream...

I did feel a bit queasy when I first went LC but that is cos I went from low fat to LC I think and I was not used to it..IMHO if you don't have enough bile to digest all the fat it will just pass right through undigested..If you had NO enzymes (or severely deficient ones )you would prolly get pain and bloating, as I did when I had a partial obstruction of the bile ducts. Just like the gall bladder pain in fact..

Most people just do not get complications from gall bladder disease, I think I checked the percentage before my op and it was 1% of 1% or something like... the only thing is with no GB you must be more alert for signs of colon cancer as there is a thought that it has a higher incidence in people sans GB..I think here they check for polyps as a screening method in the over 55s

my doc has mentioned it but no appt seems o have been made for me and it is 9 yrs since my op...

bunbury

Hi Kelli, Just pick up on your previous thread .... Welcome to Saturday :D All that stuff that happened is now been and gone and today's a new day!

I don't know about Gall Bladders but I'm sure there are others here who can tell you to keep your hard-won control over diabetes. You're winning. Good luck, we're all with you. Bunbury

foxl

I wondered if that sort of billshot was not coming! :mad:

You stick to your guns, and keep telling them, you have evidence it is not that ... and I will look for some pubmed citations on Monday!

sumi

Kelly, it is so sad to here of people rejoicing in the misfortune of others. I think you're right, they are jealous of all you have accomplished. It sounds like you really have your head together, which is great! Your positive attitude will help with your speedy recovery.

pattikins13

I had my gall bladder out years ago. My doctor didnt say anything about it when I started low carbing a month ago. I lost eleven pounds and my Bg is down a little. What is the problem between no GB and carb counting?

Tribbles

Don't worry it's just the same as you have done with diabetes, you experiment with what you can and cannot eat. I find that all fats are not equal although I don't know why. I have a friend who can no longer tolerate dairy products unless they are low fat, but it doesn't effect me like that at all. On the other hand there are now things I cannot eat without feeling ill.

HeartMan

I get regular echocardiograms to keep tabs on my transplanted heart. Part of the exam is to get images for the hepatic vein.

Several years ago my tech told me I had "sludge."

I asked what that meant. "Could mean nothing or could be a precursor to gall stones."

In 2007 while vacationing in Southern California I wound up in the UCLA emergency department with pancreatitis. They said I probably had a severe gall stone attack and if I didn't get my gall bladder out I most likely wouldn't survive the next attack.

Out it came.

Then I developed complications from the laparascopic surgery. Took two years to clear up all the attendant complications surrounding the surgery. For those two years I wasn't able to exercise. Put on 40 pounds. Finally motivated to work to get the weight off and be more diligent in keeping track of the diabetes. (This Forum is a big help with that.)

At no time during any of this was I following a low carb diet, thus it had no effect on my gall bladder disease.

As I tell my docs, I have survived long enough to start experiencing old people's problems, like going bald and having a bad gall bladder.

kat27406

I don't see a problem with low carbing....I had my GB out when I was 23 and never was on any kind of diet. For a couple of years fried sausage would get me but that passed off to. Now 40 years later I watch the carbs due to the D. You keep up the good work lady...your doing it right :D :D

Tribbles
I don't see a problem with low carbing....I had my GB out when I was 23 and never was on any kind of diet. For a couple of years fried sausage would get me but that passed off to. Now 40 years later I watch the carbs due to the D. You keep up the good work lady...your doing it right :D :D

The risk, as I understand it, is the role fat plays in low carb diets. You have lost your bile reservoir (the gall bladder) so you cannot deliver large quantities of bile to help with fatty foods and instead have a constant trickle of bile.

ant hill

Kelli,

how many times do you see sweat in a day?? Kelli, Exercise is good for you and that way you will loose weight.

synger
The risk, as I understand it, is the role fat plays in low carb diets. You have lost your bile reservoir (the gall bladder) so you cannot deliver large quantities of bile to help with fatty foods and instead have a constant trickle of bile.

That's fairly accurate to me. I had my gall bladder out about 20 years ago. I can cut back carbs to a degree (even down to 50 or fewer some days), but if my fats get too much above 50% of my diet, I can sometimes feel a bit of an "ache" where I used to feel gall bladder attacks, and some days I have to stay close to a restroom.

So I tend to aim closer to 75-100 grams of carbs, which still keeps my BG steady, and doesn't give me bile problems.

LaughSing

I'll join the chorus...

Yes, you can low-carb JUST FINE without a gall bladder.

No, it is NOBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS what you're eating. People should keep their noses out of your lunch. And out of the rest of your lifestyle, but that's fodder for another rant, LOL.

You may have a few weeks/months of adjustment after having your gall bladder removed, it is more difficult -- at first -- to process dietary fat without one, and if you're already not eating many carbs, and you then can't eat much fat... there's not a lot left. But the good news is, your body WILL adjust, and you'll be JUST FINE.

kat27406
I'll join the chorus...

Yes, you can low-carb JUST FINE without a gall bladder.

No, it is NOBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS what you're eating. People should keep their noses out of your lunch. And out of the rest of your lifestyle, but that's fodder for another rant, LOL.

You may have a few weeks/months of adjustment after having your gall bladder removed, it is more difficult -- at first -- to process dietary fat without one, and if you're already not eating many carbs, and you then can't eat much fat... there's not a lot left. But the good news is, your body WILL adjust, and you'll be JUST FINE.

Nicely said....:D

yannah

jut fyi, my surgery is this coming friday......

not yesterday.

and thanks for all the replies, it really releived my frustration over this. thats what I have been hearing is that it will be a new period of testing foods out to see what keeps me out of the bathroom the most.

I am used to this process in my world......so its good.

I wish people would just always say to me....."wow that restricted diet you have going for ya.....I am impressed!"

but thats not what typically happens.....

jenb

Wow! That restricted diet you've got going....I'm impressed. Think I'll try it. Don't want to get diabetes!!!!

Jen

yannah
Wow! That restricted diet you've got going....I'm impressed. Think I'll try it. Don't want to get diabetes!!!!

Jen

thank you. I am smart.

mytiggerkitty

Wow! That restricted diet you've got going....I'm impressed! I'm trying it!

:)

I now preach to everyone about how many carbs "normal" folks are allowed a day is totally insane. Carbs are for energy, and since most of us aren't professional athletes, your shouldn't eat like one. Looking back the whole high carb, low fat craze for the past 20 years is really stupid.

The only common side effect of no gallbladder is problems with diarrea. The bile that is dripping out would normally be expelled to help with fats in your meals. If not enough bile present, fats will be undigested, and will pass- quickly. Kind of like dumping syndrome in folks who have had gastric bypass surgeries. Like, please be near a bathroom when it's forcibly expelled unexpectedly from the nether regions...

I have been eating pretty normally since I got home from my surgery with no ill effects.

ant hill

Kelli, I was just thinking how long a week is as I am thinking that the very restrictive diet that you are on must be so frustrating.

clearviews

I began LCing Nov 2008. I had my gall bladder removed in Sept 2009 as an emergency surgery while caravanning due to a gall stone blocking the duct. First and last attack! At that point I had lost 15 kgs and come off all medications. Surgeon explained I had done nothing wrong as it was down to genetics, weight loss and diet.

All the helpful people at the caravan park who had had their gall bladders removed offered me what would work and what wouldn't. What I found was nothing changed. I continued to eat low carb higher fat, spicy, etc.

My reading and research suggests to me that I mistreated my gall bladder for 30 years feeding it little fat, so it just burbled away producing sludge. What I fed it right it kicked into action and the sludge was caught up and formed gall stones and one got stuck.

Low carbing is for the rest of my life.. I love my unassisted A1c and I love that I have no symptoms of diabetes, while ever I low carb.

Alison

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.