Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sparrow1

Antidepressants

sparrow1

After many years of suffering from biological depression I finally found what worked for me - Remeron RD + Celexa. I have been depression-free on this regimen for 6 years, but now it has come back. I haven't kept up with new meds and was wondering what is out there that I haven't already tried (without success). The meds that I can remember that didn't work for me:Effexor, Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Desyrel, all tricyclics.

Anybody else in the same boat? I dread having to go through all that trial and error again.

networkguy

Time for a visit to a shrink. Not your family doc, and not a counsellor. They will (hopefully) be up to date on current meds. As a side note, it took about 3 years to find the right combo for me. The problem with psych meds is, you dont know how they'll work for you until you try them. It makes for some not-so-fun times, but its really the only way.

Good luck.

sparrow1

Thanks. Yes I have a date with my shrink - but not until June 8th.

3 years! It took me 2 years and ECT (didn't work) the last time. Between waiting for meds to kick in, side effects, withdrawal, new meds, etc. I am now having anxiety symptoms in anticipation of this cycle.

What keeps me going is that I have never lost my sense of humor. And I have never been so low as to be suicidal. And I know others who have been much worse.

For anyone interested in understanding the biochemical nature of depression here is a great read: Malignant Sadness: The Anatomy of Depression, by Lewis Wolpert.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.