Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stina

New to site and taking Victoza!!

stina

Hello, I'm new here but not new to type 2 diabetes..I've been diagnose for over 8 yrs now and until recently have been taking metformin and doing okay. My last hemoglobin A1c taken 3 weeks ago was 5.3. Alot of the issues I have with insulin resistance etc is due to PCOS which is another matter all in itself..lol..To make a long story short I'm trying the Victoza for the weightloss benefits thats been associated with taking this meds. I'm interesting in hearing about others experience on this medicine..I've only been on it now for 4 days and at the 0.6 level for now till Thursday when I move to the next level. I haven't had any side effects yet and only a small change in my appetite. I was taken off the metformin which I was taking 1000mg 2x a day for now while on the victoza but I'm begining to wonder if maybe dr should've kept me on atleast 1000mg 1x a day seeming that everyone else is still on theirs and it maybe whats helping with the weightloss. :) Who knows..your feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

stina
Hidden

Hello, I'm new here but not new to type 2 diabetes..I've been diagnose for over 8 yrs now and until recently have been taking metformin and doing okay. My last hemoglobin A1c taken 3 weeks ago was 5.3. Alot of the issues I have with insulin resistance etc is due to PCOS which is another matter all in itself..lol..To make a long story short I'm trying the Victoza for the weightloss benefits thats been associated with taking this meds. I'm interesting in hearing about others experience on this medicine..I've only been on it now for 4 days and at the 0.6 level for now till Thursday when I move to the next level. I haven't had any side effects yet and only a small change in my appetite. I was taken off the metformin which I was taking 1000mg 2x a day for now while on the victoza but I'm begining to wonder if maybe dr should've kept me on atleast 1000mg 1x a day seeming that everyone else is still on theirs and it maybe whats helping with the weightloss. Who knows..your feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

enniecat

I also have just started taking the Victoza. I started the .6 shots last wednesday and haven't felt any noticable side affects. I will be increasing to the 1.2 dosage on Tuesday. I take the Actoplus Met and Levimer shots. My dr. put be on the Victoza for the weight loss. So far I have been disappointed with on a small decrease in appetite. I am hoping when I increase my dosage I will see a difference. Has anyone else here experienced no real side effects. So far everything I have found indicates people notice a difference from the first one or two shots.

SpyroMike

Hello,

I've been taking it for almost a month now. I was just dx'd a month ago.

I did have headaches and nausea at first. I have found that taking some caffeine has addressed the headache issue. I rarely feel nausea anymore.

Some side effects that are positive are my reduced desire to eat (mental), and my reduced feeling of hunger (physical). In fact I've created some difficult days for myself by not eating enough.

On the plus side I have lost over 24 pounds in the first 3 weeks. This last week I did not see any improvement on the scale, however I do notice it on my body.

I've been at the 1.2 dose for about 3 weeks now. My BG was in the low 300's, now I've been in the 140-150's range with my spikes keeping below 200. My diet is vastly improved, and it appears this Rx is working well for me. I'd really like to see my numbers get down to the optimal range, but I suppose for my body that will take more time and change.

I believe that with diet and exercise this Rx has helped me get to a much better place physically than I was before. My first A1C was 10.8 - 3 weeks in it already went down to 9.0. So progress appears to be happening.

I hope you and others have a good experience with this med.

Regards,

Mike

stina

Wow Spyromike!! Congrats on the weightloss..That seems like a lot to lose in 3wks. I'm not trying to lose it that fast cause then I would be concerned with my overall health in the long run. I'm looking for moderate weightloss not a quick fix because I don't want to relaspe..lol..I did notice today that I was a bit crampy/bloated like this morning and felt a little nauseaous not anything unbearable though. Enniecat I have also notice that my appetite is decreasing slowly..I'm not needing or wanting to snack as much..I work overnights sitting at a desk all night and tend to want to snack..So anyway we'll see what happens when I go up this week on Thursday. Maybe that's what it's going to take and I started back taking 1000mg metformin once a day..So hopefully this does the trick..Will keep you posted....:)

LaughSing

As I understand it, the .6 dose really isn't expected to be a therapeutic dose for most people, it's just a test dose to make sure you're not going to have horrendous side-effects.

Like, if you have terrible nausea or awful headaches on .6, you really, REALLY didn't want to try 1.2. :)

So, if you're not having the nasty side-effects, hang in there and see what 1.2 does for you, I'm seeing a lot more effect on my numbers with 1.2 than I did with .6. And... I'm not on metformin, I can't take the stuff. (I sit too far away from the restroom. :eek: ) I have no idea if I'm losing weight... I don't use a scale at home, and haven't been back to the doctor yet.

stina

Lol...Laughsing..I remeber those early days on Metformin..I must say when I added back 1000mg today with the 0.6 I was close enough to a bathroom but nothing unbearable like when I first started on them. I guess over the years my body has build up a tolerance for it till I have better control over the BM...:D So I go up to 1.2 on Thursday so we'll see what happens..If I start feeling too off the wall I'll know to cut off the metformin which I'm not suppose to be on right now anyway but felt the 0.6 wasn't doing anything. I don't want my numbers dropping too considering I'm already eating less and with the combo it may drop by bs too low..Will keep you posted..Thanks for the info..I feel better now knowing I'm not having any side-effects thus far and hope it continues that way.....:)

enniecat

It is reassuring to hear others having the same experience as myself. I will increase to the 1.2 tomorrow and we will see what happens.

When are others of you taking your Victoza shot? I have been taking mine at night only because I had read posts from others who had experienced some of the side effects and suggested taking the shot right before bedtime.

I just wonder if that would make a difference in the nauseau feeling?

stina

Enniecat I take mine at 12:30p or a little after. My dr at first was suggesting I take it at night but upon discussing my schedule and the fact I work nights, he was like just take it upon first waking up. I haven't had a problem doing this and find that when I do if I havent' had anything or much to eat my appetite all together disappear..lol..I haven't figured out yet if the hunger is less because mentally Im expecting it to be because of the medicine..Only time will tell...one more day before I up my dose. So you've been having some side affects? Good luck..I'll keep you posted

enniecat

Thanks for the info. I might just adjust the time I take the Victoza and see what happens. I am anxiously awaiting the increase tomorrow.

As for side effects, no so far I haven't really had a whole lot. I can tell a decrease in appetite but I had read where some people had totally lost theirs. That is something I haven't experience.

Keep me up to date and I will do the same. I wish us both luck on the increased dosage.

AnneInNY

My housekeeper and I both are on Victoza, for about 5 wks now. One week on 0.6 then since on 1.2

I lost 10 lb the first week on 0.6 dose. Went up to 1.2 and nothing since except lots of nausea and terrible headaches. My sugars were improved down to 105 on 0.6 but are ranging around 124 now, fasting or otherwise.

Housekeeper has seen his sugars go way down like under 100 and has lost 12 lb but same thing with headaches adn unrelenting nausea.

Nurse practitioner at our doctor's office says she jst takes 0.6 and it works for her; she went up to 1.2 but couldn't stand vomiting all the time. She claims the 0.6 level works fine for her.

I'm going back to 0.6 and see if that might work for me. I can't be nauseated all day long and still work.

That's our report anyway.

Anne

stina

I've been on victoza now for about 4 weeks and have been at 1.2 now for 2 wks. I've only lost 4lbs which I'm a bit disappointed but I know had I been working out I would've lost more so that's my goal from this point on. I've never really had the nausea but a few headaches here and there. I don't plan to fully go up to the 1.8 at any point but remain at 1.2 and may go just a little bit past that but not full 1.8. I've started having injection site reaction but right now it's tolerable. I'm so hoping it want get so bad that I have to stop. My appetite is still somewhat decreased but I find myself wanting sweets again so my doctor told me I can start back taking my metformin along with victoza but at a lower dose which will help decrease appetite some. I tried that yesterday and it made me cramp and had an upset stomach so I don't think it will be wise for me to do that everyday so I may try taking the metformin every other day or make sure to take the regular verses the extended release tabs. I'll keep you guys posted....

Almond66

I've been on it for about 3 months or a little more. At least 2 months on the 1.8 dose. I'm a 5'3" female and was 205 lbs. I've lost 20 lbs. Blood sugars have been consistently 70 to 80 fasting. I take it with Metformin. I got a little complacent recently with my exercise and diet and I've had some fastings in the 90's and one in the low 100's after eating more than usual with my Dad on Father's day, but I know the error of my ways. I continue to slowly lose weight as long as I'm doing the right thing diet and exercise wise. (I wasn't losing weight before despite doing the right things.) I do get full more easily and have less cravings. I haven't had much nausea at all except in the very beginning. Really if I stick to frequent small meals I don't even feel too full but definitely not hungry. Honestly, I can't think of any side effects other than ones that I get with Metformin. I feel more normal now at 43 than I have in about 20 years. Good luck to everyone trying it!

MomSherlock
My housekeeper and I both are on Victoza, for about 5 wks now. One week on 0.6 then since on 1.2

I lost 10 lb the first week on 0.6 dose. Went up to 1.2 and nothing since except lots of nausea and terrible headaches. My sugars were improved down to 105 on 0.6 but are ranging around 124 now, fasting or otherwise.

Housekeeper has seen his sugars go way down like under 100 and has lost 12 lb but same thing with headaches adn unrelenting nausea.

Nurse practitioner at our doctor's office says she jst takes 0.6 and it works for her; she went up to 1.2 but couldn't stand vomiting all the time. She claims the 0.6 level works fine for her.

I'm going back to 0.6 and see if that might work for me. I can't be nauseated all day long and still work.

That's our report anyway.

Anne

Anne, I've been on Victoza for about 3 months now. I stayed on the 0.6 mg for 3 weeks because of the nausea. When I moved up to the 1.2 mg, I wanted to just throw in the towel! OH the nausea! (I kept thinking that this was payback for the nausea I did not have with either of my pregnancies!) The nausea is much better now. I did have a headache for a while, but it wasn't as noticeable due to the nausea. I do take Nexium, and had to live on sugar-free Tums for a while. I still have a bit of nausea at times if I overeat or eat something that no longer agrees with me.

I went back down to the 0.6 mg for another couple of weeks and then started to SLOWLY increase my dosage. If you notice on the pen, you have to click 10 times to get to 0.6 mg and another 10 times to get to 1.2 mg. Well, I'm up to 0.6 mg plus 8 clicks.

I have noticed that with the Victoza, there are some things I can no longer eat or drink. Coffee (unfortunately) is no longer an acceptable drink to my tummy! :eek: I used to live on coffee.... not it's hot tea. I can't stand sausage, red beans & rice and a few other things. Can't even stand the smell of some things. And sweets are out.... some of them almost make me gag now. I can even taste the excessive "sweetness" in a french fry!

Will be seeing the Endo next Friday to discuss everything with him.

The biggest plus??? Since being on Byetta x 3 months then being changed to Victoza x 3 months, I've lost 43 lbs! WOOHOO!!! :D Soon I'm gonna have to think about buying new clothes. ;)

Sorry for the long post!

Cormac_Doyle

I've lost 12 Kb (c. 25 lbs) since starting on Victoza in January.

It does have some side effects ... but to my mind they are worth it.

Also; my daily insulin requirement has simultaneously dropper from 2000 units per day to 250-400 units per day ... a massive drop that can only help with the weight loss (Insulin is the hormone that causes weight gain).

MomSherlock
It does have some side effects ... but to my mind they are worth it.

Cormac, I agree 110%... Once I got a handle on the side effects and learned what caused some of them (i.e. over eating or eating something that I shouldn't (like candy) or something that no longer agrees with me), then life became much easier. Shoot.... I can live with a bit of nausea and without my coffee if the plus side is the weight loss and much improved blood sugars & A1c. However, I do still miss my coffee cuz I actually LIKE coffee, but it no longer agrees with me.

Keep up the good work!

bempermin

I have been taking the victoza injections for a few months now and doing fine. About a few weeks ago I began having really bad pain in my left arm from the forearm to the elbow to the shoulder. My doctor said it was tennis elbow but I do not see how I could have injured it. The pain came on gradually and started aching in my lower arm at first. My grip was weak and I couldn't lift my arm. Eventually the pain started moving upward right above the elbow, then made its way to the bicep area and now my shoulder. Right now the pain is all in the bicep area and he muscle hurts near the injection site (I don't inject into the muscle, rather in the back of the arm). I never put the two together until today when I was about to take the shot and realized my arm was aching right in that spot and it hit me. What if the two were related? I have read many articles and websites on side effects of victoza although I am not seeing anything mentioned regarding my situation and wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem as I am that may not be listed as a known side effect. I may be very off course. The pain is excruciating at times especially at night, I cannot get comfortable and the bicep muscle is very tender as is the top (round) of my shoulder. Does anyone have any input or ideas? I am going to go back to the doctor again.

AndyO
I have been taking the victoza injections for a few months now and doing fine. About a few weeks ago I began having really bad pain in my left arm from the forearm to the elbow to the shoulder. My doctor said it was tennis elbow but I do not see how I could have injured it. The pain came on gradually and started aching in my lower arm at first. My grip was weak and I couldn't lift my arm. Eventually the pain started moving upward right above the elbow, then made its way to the bicep area and now my shoulder. Right now the pain is all in the bicep area and he muscle hurts near the injection site (I don't inject into the muscle, rather in the back of the arm). I never put the two together until today when I was about to take the shot and realized my arm was aching right in that spot and it hit me. What if the two were related? I have read many articles and websites on side effects of victoza although I am not seeing anything mentioned regarding my situation and wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem as I am that may not be listed as a known side effect. I may be very off course. The pain is excruciating at times especially at night, I cannot get comfortable and the bicep muscle is very tender as is the top (round) of my shoulder. Does anyone have any input or ideas? I am going to go back to the doctor again.

I'm wondering if you've solved this. I have not heard of this as a Victoza side effect, but it sounds suspiciously like Rhabdomyolysis, which is a known, but under reported, and under discussed side effect of statins like Lipitor and Crestor. I had this some years ago, got off the statins, and the pain and weakness went away. I wouldn't take another statin under any circumstances.

dhavron

i discontinued the metformin as it is also known to cause nausea in the larger dosages. my doc had to cut mine back when i was taking it for that issue. I discontinued Mtformin, Glyburide, & Januvia while on Victoza which seems to be agressivlt pushing BG down. I am on day 2 of .6 (a few days after a disastrous day at the 1.2 level).

David

dhavron

Anyone have any suggestions on upping dosage . I am on .6 although first day I started with 1.2 with bad nausea so doc had me go to .6 with a goal to get to 1.8

At .6 it is pusshing my BG down below 100 on most tests. I have been testing 6 times a day since starting Victoza to monitor effects closely.

David

last A1c was 7.8 in July

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.