Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

A training plan - finally

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

It has been almost 15 years since Linda and I first swung our legs over a tandem bicycle and we've been at it ever since. However, we have never actually worked out any kind of formal training plan and therefore have usually ridden daily till we either get rained out or we get so beat that we cannot muster the strength for another day.

The weird part is that I have been maintaining statistics for some time and simply have not really looked at them. Well, we just finished reviewing and the numbers told us exactly what we kind-of knew already.

After the third straight day our performance drops off signifiicantly. By five days we're not able to maintain our usual average speeds and when we go beyond that we suffer.

We also tried various forms of Hard to Easy days but that was an abject failure as we cannot ride easy even if that was the intent. We always wind up hammering.

Therefore the solution, and we've been working it for the past week, is to ride three days then a scheduled day off. Of course weather can interrupt the plan so the basic rule is no more than three days in a row, even if there is an interruption due to weather or some other external factor.

So far it is working quite well. We haven't seen diminished performance, we feel a whole lot better and are actually getting some small projects done around the house that we tend to avoid.

KatGirl

That's great!!

I too have the same issue. There are some weeks where I am struggling with a 30 minute workout. Since I am training for a half marathon I workout out everyday and what I have to do is incorporate easy days.

I will generally do three hard days where I will run 5 miles and do high intensity cardio. I will have three easy days where I will do strength training, yoga, and light cardio. One day a week I will do my long run (over 8 miles).

I know if sounds like a like but like I said I am towards the end of training for a half marathon. Also, it has taken me over a year to build up to this level.

I think where a lot of people fall off the exercise wagon is when they take on too much too soon. They get burned out or injured and quit. The key is to start out slow and build up. I think what you are doing is great. It sounds like you scaled back before it became too much.

Caravaggio

Hi Ronin,

I now train for races by running 3 key running work-outs a week, and cross-train on the other days. There is a running program called FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) program that outlines the key work-outs. They have a website and came out with a book (Run Less, Run Faster).

I've been using their program (or tweaked it to match my specific needs) to train for my last 2 marathons and am using it now to train for my next one. I've not suffered from injuries, fatigue or burnout from running (from lack of sleep due to work, yes :)).

If the cycling world does not have an equivalent program, you can read about their basic concepts and premise and probably devise your own cycling program using their principles. Their principles can easily translate to other sports disciplines.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the encouragement. This has been a long time coming (15 years).

Today was the third day of the three-day program and I knew the feeling when we hit the first climb. We had the strength and power to go-the-distance but I know that if we tried to do a ride tomorrow we would suffer a lot and our average speed would drop significantly.

The reality is that we should be able to manage an "easy spin" day but our nature takes over somewhere in the ride and we wind up pushing each other for more speed and the next thing we know, we're hammering away and then suffering for it.

The good fortune is that there are thunderstorms in the weather forcast for tomorrow so we aren't really missing anything; except, perhaps, mowing the lawn -- like I'm really going to miss that -- Yeah-Right!

At our age we do not compete but we do have that Type-A drive that continues despite being over-60 and retired.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

I have run into an old buddy from my running days, I call him Les Ismore. Okay, it's a bit of a joke but back when I used to run (many years and more than a few injuries ago) I learned the very same lesson that Linda and I are learning on the tandem. Sometimes, less training gets more results.

We've been faithful to the three-on-one-off pattern and the results (as measured in average speed) is going up. So is our general fitness and endurance. It is too easy to fall into the trap of over-training.

Tomorrow is another rest day and we're off to Somerville NJ to watch the annual bicyle races, catch up with old friends, meet some new riders and generally have a good time.

Caravaggio

At our age we do not compete but we do have that Type-A drive that continues despite being over-60 and retired.

I quoted this statement because I'm now reading Dara Torres's book (Age is Just a Number), and she describes herself as a Type A person and an extremely competitive person. You are in good company Ronin!

Caravaggio
I quoted this statement because I'm now reading Dara Torres's book (Age is Just a Number), and she describes herself as a Type A person and an extremely competitive person. You are in good company Ronin!

PS - I'm actually listening to the audiobook while running. Is that still "reading a book" ;) ?

Ronin

Caravaggio, et al.,

We had our day off the tandem while at the annual Tour of Somerville Bicycle Races. We probably walked eight to tem miles while cheering the racers on.

We did take some time to visit the Team Type-1 tent and talk with some of the riders who were there to give autographs and answer questions. All of them were sporting their insulin delivery pumps attached to their upper arms as well as the CGMS watches. Pretty impressive technology but when your team sponsor makes all this equipment...

It was a great day. Our favorite racer (Laura Van Gilder an over 40 woman racer who placed third out of 135) was there and did greet us following the race.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a tandem day but I think the weather is not going to cooperate. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

Tomorrow is my home A1C check -- it will be interesting to see what changes have happened in the past month. The last check was pretty awesome.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Well, I'm in recovery mode having contracted a rhinovirus (a.k.a., the common cold) late last week. I saw the dentist last Tuesday and he noted that my throat was red but we thought nothing of it because the pollen levels were so high at the time. Well, the throat got sore late Friday afternoon and by Saturday AM I was miserable. Therefore my riding has stopped because coughing and hacking are not part of my bicycle or tandem routine.

I think it is finally breaking up but I still don't have a lot of zest. Perhaps by Thursday I'll feel good enough to go out for an easy ride.

I really miss the getting out and active part. FWIW: My FBG's are slightly elevated but that is consisitent with my body fighting off an infection. Oh well, time for an afternoon nap as my sinus' hurt and my I don't have much energy left.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.