Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huligoo

I want a baby! Im type 2 & hypothyroid

huligoo

my A1c isnt the greatest its at a 8.5 right now...Im 35 years old and never had a baby...me and my hubby have been married for 7 years now...neither of us have children... Is it possible for us to get pregnant? I am overweight but I am well porportionate....that being said can type 2 ladies become pregnant....whats your experience in this...

pinkbenjiblue

Hi, There are many ways to accomplish your goals...many options. You need to take a minute and relax, that is important, then, you need to see an endo or a gyno, depending on what your needs are. Are you on insulin? Has your hubby been screened and had a sperm annnalysis? Spelling off oooops!! See your gyno see whay they have to say. You probably need to get your A1c down because you want to be feeling your very best when you get pregnant/ and or start a Family. There is adoption, seems like you have a few options, please stay calm because stress helps with nothing. If u are overweight have u tried to loose a couple of pounds?, I know so much easier to say then to do....Please ask your questions, both my kids are perganol and clomid kids, now they are teenagers, it is possible!! A family is a special thing, it is something that I had always wanted....you need to understand your diabetes, find outif there is infertility involved, have both u and ur Husband looked at/ tested, U neeed to determine if u ovoluate and what your fsh( that is how healthy your eggs are/if u r close to menapause) simple blood test given, if i remember correctly day 3 of the period.} is and u need to take this one day at a time...saving the most important for last, calm down and get those numbers down, then you can move forward....I know how hard it can be, I wish u well!!

stardustshadow

Hey there! I totally understand your worries...I was just diagnosed a few days ago, and one of the first questions I asked the Dr. was about having kids....

I am 32, have never had a kid. My husband and I have been married for almost 6 years...but he is infertile. We found out last year that he has a low sperm count and low motility...this means that we have to have kids through invitro fertilization...which is tough BEFORE you add the diabetes in there! But the Dr. reassured me that once I learn to control my diabetes, I should be fine to get pregnant! So there IS hope, even in the worst circumstances! And you know, like the poster above said, there is always adoption if nothing works out.

Anyhow, I wish you the best:)

Jan B

I agree with adoption being a beautiful thing (my only sibling is adopted). But keep in mind, that adoption agencies generally want extremely healthy parents, so that can also be a bit challenging.

It can be hard to get pregnant while hypothyroid too. But if it's treated and you have good labs, I believe that gives you a better chance of conceiving.

I know you've heard it already, but you definitely need to get that A1c down. I had a precious child w/live threatening birth defects (heart) & (yes, he later died) 26 years ago. I'm sure my diabetes was out of control when I got pregnant.

aiah23

Whether type 1 or type 2 Huligoo, your docs will tell you to get your A1C below 7 or as close to 6 as possible (this minimizes the chances of miscarriage or birth defects). So you've got some work to do. Oral meds are stopped during pregnancy (from what I've read I'm a type 1 and thus on insulin so for me this isn't an issue) and you take shots to manage your blood sugars. Also, your weight will be very closely monitored (proportionately overweight or not) as a diabetic so they'll ask you to try to lose weight before attempting to conceive (I've been working on the same thing myself for over 2 yrs now). You need to have appts with your endo and gyno for the specific purpose of stating your desire to try to conceive soon so they can tailor recommendations to your desire.

It's hard work but very worth it. You will literally have to take things a day at a time. It's going to be tough, you're going to have a lot of dr appts and you'll undergo some medication changes (mine happen in July to TTC in August). Best of luck to you and keep posting!

Fawn

foxl
I agree with adoption being a beautiful thing (my only sibling is adopted). But keep in mind, that adoption agencies generally want extremely healthy parents, so that can also be a bit challenging.

It depends. I know China bars Diabetic parents from adoption, except special needs kids.

I adopted 3 kids internationally, 2 categorized as special needs (both really MINOR!).

I have never heard of a US agency turning down parents for health conditions, other than emotional conditions that might affect ability to parent.

I am grateful that none of my kids have inherited my vulnerability to autoimmune conditions.

huligoo

my hubby had semen analysis and he is normal.

I did two cycles of clomid and no luck.

Found out I was hypothyroid and Im on meds now.

Its still low and Im being watched by endo right now.

Im working on my glucose its down to a 7 A1c.

But who knows if im ovulating..cuz my gyno wont do

an ultrasound or scan..he says since I have a period every month that Im ovulating!! Ummmm no not true cuz if that was true I would have been prengnant by now! So, Im working on it...I hope soon we can have a baby...you know I do have elevated levels of anxiety..I stress easily and my glucose goes up...I hate that about myself....I really need a workout buddy

Jan B

Im working on my glucose its down to a 7 A1c.

In your first post, you said your A1c was 8.5

Did you just have another A1c done? This is extremely important when it comes to conceiving.

jenb
But who knows if im ovulating..cuz my gyno wont do an ultrasound or scan..he says since I have a period every month that Im ovulating!! Ummmm no not true cuz if that was true I would have been prengnant by now!

Hmmmm. Unless I have fogotten my biology classes, if you are having periods, you are ovulating. Despite the ease with which some people conceive, others have a harder time. It can be for many, many reasons. Have you bought an over the counter ovulation test? That can help you determine the most opportune time to give it a try.

That said...you want to give your future baby the best possible environment, so working on lowering your blood sugar beforehand is probably a really good idea.

Jen

foxl

Well that sounds good, but it is not exactly true.

You can have cyclical estrogen withdrawal bleeding, anovulatory cycles, and prgetin deficiency.

I had infertility and hirsutism, but regular periods and trouble conceiving. AND hypothyroidism. AND uterine fibroids. It's all related. I gave up trying and decided to adopt, before they decided to do daily blood draws and fiugre out my hormones, though.

Hmmmm. Unless I have fogotten my biology classes, if you are having periods, you are ovulating. Despite the ease with which some people conceive, others have a harder time. It can be for many, many reasons. Have you bought an over the counter ovulation test? That can help you determine the most opportune time to give it a try.

That said...you want to give your future baby the best possible environment, so working on lowering your blood sugar beforehand is probably a really good idea.

Jen

jenb

Well, just like the human body to be so darned complex! What an ornery beast. Really, it's a wonder that we've survived to overpopulate the planet ;) .

Jen

pinkbenjiblue

Hi, u might not be ovulating, need to take your temp b 4 u get out of bed every morning and document it...U need to NEVER tsake no for an answer, You ddo have many options, u neeed more testing to see what the problem is, could be as simple as ypou perhaps are ovulating to early or later than u think, perhaps the eggs ar enot mature enough and the clomid does help however it decreases the sperm when they join in, there are side effects and perhaps u need iui, inner uterien insemination in cinjuction with the clomid. My coctail was clomid and perganol.....u neeed a great reproductive endo.

huligoo

My insurance plan isnt that great...we will be switching to Kaiser in september cuz this is getting ridiculous. I have never had any ultrasounds or, fallopian test screenings, or hormonal checks..but i know for fact that I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries ...I also have estrogen dominance I have all the symptoms. I do need a reproductdive endocrinlogist. I have taken my temps and check my cervical fluid. My temps were all over the place....I always have cramping after my period is over..Im thinkikng I know have endometriosis...Maybe my progesterone levels are really low.. check out this sight

Estrogen Dominance Symptoms and Women

aiah23
My insurance plan isnt that great...we will be switching to Kaiser in september cuz this is getting ridiculous. I have never had any ultrasounds or, fallopian test screenings, or hormonal checks..but i know for fact that I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries ...I also have estrogen dominance I have all the symptoms. I do need a reproductdive endocrinlogist. I have taken my temps and check my cervical fluid. My temps were all over the place....I always have cramping after my period is over..Im thinkikng I know have endometriosis...Maybe my progesterone levels are really low.. check out this sight

Estrogen Dominance Symptoms and Women

Hey huligoo. Sorry about the symptoms and insurance issues. Maybe this is something you can get a better hand on in the fall once your insurance changes over? I know that sometimes it's worth it to put things on hold for a few months just until those stresses smooth out:) Keep working on your blood sugars, I imagine that's tough with hormonal fluctuations like you've mentioned. You're doing a great job though, keep up the good work :D

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.