Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kellyb74

Type 2 pregnancy insulin

Kellyb74

Hello. Great news after years of trying I am finally pregnant. :) I found last year that I have type 2 and have been treated with success with metformin. I think that metformin has changed my life.

I saw an endocrinologist two days ago and he found my morning numbers to high so I have started taking insulin. Actually I just gave myself my first injection. I'm to take 5 units before bed. I'm a little bit nervous taking something before bed without know how i'll react to it. Any advise would help. I don't want to be this nervous about something that is going to help.

thanks

aggie168

Hello Kelly, welcome to DF. First, what kind of insulin are you taking. I am going to assume one of the basel type like Levimar. Right? Next, what other meds are you taking for your Diabetes? :)

Kellyb74

I started novolin nph today and i'm still taking 1000 mg metformin a day. i will be off metformin in a few weeks. Oh and i take eltroxin for thyroid.

aggie168
I started novolin nph today and i'm still taking 1000 mg metformin a day. i will be off metformin in a few weeks. Oh and i take eltroxin for thyroid.

Good, those information will help other DF member to provide suggestion as I am not familar with the NPH. Other will "chime" in soon. Again, welcome. :)

e||ement

i take nph at bedtime:) i was only diagnosed with type 1 about 6 months before getting pregnant, so i understand your nervousness.

if you are nervous about going low in the night, i suggest waking every 2 to 3 hours to test, just to see where you are sitting. that might give you some comfort:)

how have your morning numbers been since starting? 5 units is pretty modest :)

LisaMom2Lucas

I was a gestational diabetic 3 years ago with my son (type 2, now) and I took insulin 4x a day, NPH at night. I was up to 50 units at night and I STILL couldn't get my fasting under 100 - geez!

5 units is not very much at all, but I agree w/ the PP that waking up every few hours for a night or two may help you figure out if you are going too low. I never had that issue though!

Good luck!!

Kellyb74

Morning sugars are within the range the doctor wants and the insulin seems to help my numbers until after lunch. Very nice.

Thank for the advise everyone. The first night I tested a couple of times just to easy my mind.

FarmerCathy

That is so great! I'm curious though what numbers does your doc want you to be at while pregnant. I'm just curious to see what range I'll need to be in to get pregnant next year.

aiah23

I can tell you docs I've spoken with usually want you 70-90 pre-meals and no more than 130 at your 1 hr post prandial mark. It's a really tight range. Some women achieve this seemingly effortlessly, others it's a constant focus/struggle. Also, your A1C pre trying to conceive (TTC) should be under 7, some docs say either 6 or 6.5 but there's quite a few women here who became pregnant with higher A1Cs and drove those down successfully into the 5.5-6.5 range:)

Fawn

FarmerCathy

Wow, that is a tight range. I became pregnant when my A1c must have been high in April, but don't want to try again until I get my numbers consistent and get off a medication for something else, so that won't be until January at the soonest. :) Thank you for all the info.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.