Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foo

NovoRapid VS Actrapid .. which is better ?

Stuboy

They both have different action profiles.

I believe actrapid takes longer to start working (30 minutes?) and novorapid start to work in around 10 minutes (marketed figure).

Some people use both depending on the type of food they eat.

I tried using them both when i was on MDI, but managing three insulins wasn't for me.

that's about all I know about that! (forest gump styleeee)

:D

Subby

Actrapid is the older fast standard, "fast insulin" class. I was started on that in 1993.

Novorapid is the newer fast standard, "rapid class" insulin. Humalog and Apidra are also rapids. Novorapid came along sometime near the year 2000.

While the difference in speed between rapid class insulins is often negligible, older "fast" insulin like Actrapid was/is usually significantly slower. Actrapid took upwards of an hour to start working significantly for me at it's best, compared to about 20 min for Novorapid.

jenb

Hi Foo. I've never used Actrapid and can't comment on your original question. Just wanted to welcome you to DF!

Jen

poodlebone
What the pros and cons for these 2 types of insulin?

Actrapid is what we call Regular in the USA. As Subby said, it takes longer to start working and it hangs around longer than Novorapid (Novolog here in the USA). Before I got my pump I was using Humalog, another fast acting insulin similar to Novorapid. I still liked to keep Regular (actrapid) on hand because it worked much better with foods that took longer to digest like pizza, fast food, restaurant meals. Anything with a lot of fat will slow down the carbs and Humalog was not a good match for that for me.

With actrapid I was told to inject 20-40 minutes prior to eating unless my BG was already low. With Humalog I was told to inject within 15 minutes of eating or right before I ate.

ashley1302

hi i'm ashley. just joined the forum.

my mom's a diabetic since 20+ years. her new doc has just changed her medication from human actrapid to novorapid. I do know novorapid is better as the patient can start eating within 0-15 mins while it is 20-30 mins for actrapid. but is it worth it if the price of novorapid is twice that for actrapid. are there any other advantages that may tilt the scale? :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.