Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriV

Extremely Frustrated.....

LoriV

I really don't mean to complain but I'm getting so tired of waiting for my Dr to figure this out. As I'm waiting my numbers are in the 200's and 3oo's and I'm struggling to function. I was Dx with gestational about 7 years ago, it went away and then came back almost 4 years ago. They have been treating me Type 2 with all different meds the last 4 years. Metformin, Januvia, Avandia, Byetta, Glipizide, Glyburide, etc. I started on Lantus pen aver a year ago and was taking that, metformin and Januvia. I was doing pretty good until I switched insurances January and Kaiser wouldnt pay for the Lantus or Januvia. It's been **** ever since. Nothing is working and now they just did a GAD test to see if I'm Type 1 or 1.5. I'm currently taking Novolin, Metformin and Glipizide. My fasting sugars range from 170 to 190 and during the day I'm in the 200's. I hate to think what this is doing to me long term. I have 4 kids, I'm 41 and I'm usually a very active person. This is definitely slowing me down. My vision is starting to get blurry again and all I want to do is sleep. What will happen if the GAD test is positive? Then what do they do? sorry to sound like such a baby......Lori :(

foxl

Then you get assigned a T1 diagnosis, and INSULIN. Maybe even a pump.

I did not get a pump, just basal. I am so sorry for your situation!

I have 3 young kids myself; they are my motivation to care for myself and my D.

Did they tell you when to expect results?

dbaratta

So the insurance company would rather pay to cure a complication to save themselves money on the drugs you need? Insurance companies suck. Mine would not pay for Junivia and that is when I had to go on insulin. Met and Junaiva were working okay for me in the beginning, not that I wouldn't have ended up on insulin anyway but my insurance company running my life just makes me mad.

I am going to insist on my doc testing me for T1.5 and T1 because I really don't think I am a T2. He NEVER tested me. If I get a positive for 1.5 I will ask for the pump and hopefully never have to fight again over meds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, my doc told me that makers of Lantus have some free drug programs, maybe you can research that????? Not sure. :confused:

zoelula

If Kaiser won't pay for Lantus, will they pay for Levemir? It sounds like you need to be on the standard of care basal/bolus insulin, or on a pump. I have a type 2 friend with kaiser and he was put on NPH and not even told to test his post prandials. I'm back in California now but wouldn't consider Kaiser if you paid me. If they won't cover a basal/bolus regimen perhaps you can switch insurance?

fuszek

I have Kaiser too, and take lantus. It seems odd if your numbers are so high that they wouldn't want you on insulin, whatever type you are. Have they assigned you a diabetes coach? My gp is not so good with the diabetes and it's hard(to impossible) to see and endo, but my diabetes coach is a nurse practitioner in the endo dept. and she's great. Good luck

LoriV

Thank you for all your help! I'm still waiting for my GAD results. I took the test on Monday. Does it usually take this long? I have tried with Kaiser to get a Diabetes team going and the person that is making all these changes is part of a PHASE program and she is a Clinical Pharmicist. That is who I have been talking to through email. I haven't even met her. she said that unless I'm Type 1 I can't see an endo. We switched to Kaiser in January because we thought I'd get better care for my Diabetes but now I'm not so sure. I'm hoping to get the results today. I will let you all know!

foxl
Thank you for all your help! I'm still waiting for my GAD results. I took the test on Monday. Does it usually take this long? I have tried with Kaiser to get a Diabetes team going and the person that is making all these changes is part of a PHASE program and she is a Clinical Pharmicist. That is who I have been talking to through email. I haven't even met her. she said that unless I'm Type 1 I can't see an endo. We switched to Kaiser in January because we thought I'd get better care for my Diabetes but now I'm not so sure. I'm hoping to get the results today. I will let you all know!

Good luck -- it took me a couple weeks to get results of a GAD back. It is a radioimmunoassay, takes a couple days to run (depending on the test used). Often they ship those out of town. One of mine was run in VA, the other in MN. So ... be patient. It is not just your MD's office ... :)

bajpeg98

Stop taking Januvia. It may cause pancreatitis and isn't nearly as effective as Metformin. Hopefully you can get a hold of some lantus to bring your numbers down. I'd even just buy some uncovered for now or call your endo to see if samples exist. Even if your GAD is negative or borderline, therapy shouldn't change much, you'll likely still need the insulin. Even type IIs lose beta cell mass over the course of the disease and require insulin. And if you have been T1 or T1.5 for more than a few years, those GAD autoantibodies may not be detectable anymore, so don't worry about what type you are - just getting that BG down. Good luck lori, hang in there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.