Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BextaJ

I'm curious...

BextaJ

How long did it take you guys to get your Doc to acknowledge that there was something wrong?

How 'slow' is slow onset?

Any specific low-carb diet you can recommend?

I've got tons of questions that my Doc atm won't really answer since he's convinced I'm 'normal' even with my rollercoaster BSLs. He won't even consider that I'm pre-diabetic even though I've had readings of 140 upwards 2hrs after eating. Sometimes the spikes last for as long as 9hrs before going down, and that's with exercise.

Any opinions and/or advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated! Cheers :D

dbc
How long did it take you guys to get your Doc to acknowledge that there was something wrong?

I've got tons of questions that my Doc atm won't really answer since he's convinced I'm 'normal' even with my rollercoaster BSLs. He won't even consider that I'm pre-diabetic even though I've had readings of 140 upwards 2hrs after eating. Sometimes the spikes last for as long as 9hrs before going down, and that's with exercise.

Any opinions and/or advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated! Cheers :D

The docs told me there was something wrong :cool: !! - I had no symptoms because of early diagnosis....

Slow onset T1/1.5 (normally taken to mean how long from diagnosis to starting medication/insulin therapy) can mean anything from a few months to a number of years - we all have a pretty unique response to the D.

Low carb diets - pretty much whatever you can live with, but will usually consist of severely restricting/eliminating refined carbs and "heavy" starches, so breads, pasta, rice, potatoes are the obvious ones. After that maybe look at the yellow veg types. And increase the protein/fat content.

good luck! And ask away - there's loads of experience and knowledge on this forum!

fooddreamer

Good question! I don't have full acknowledgement yet, although my doctor does agree that my fluctuating glucose levels are concerning. I had a normal A1c (5.5) and a low but normal C-peptide (but was not fasting at the time, which may mean it will be lower if I am fasting). So currently falling into "normal", although a simple breakfast of yogurt, berries and a little granola can put me up to 174!

My plan, for the moment, is to semi-low carb (I am nursing a baby and going too low affects my milk supply) with the occasional "normal" meal to show my doctor what it does to me. Also checking fasting most days. For a bit there, I was able to control fasting by the semi-low carbing, but it jumped back up above 100 even with low carbs.

One point I want to make to my doctor is that if I was truly normal, with how well I eat and how much exercise I get, I shouldn't even be at 5.5 for an A1c!

My appt is July 14th. I shall let you know if I am successful at getting recognition of whatever kind of D I have!

dbaratta

Before I was diabetic we had a health fair at work and my BG 2-hours post was 140, so they did an A1C on me and it came back normal. So. I think that maybe 140 2-hours post for a heavy carb meal is okay. That day I had a lot of carbs for lunch.

If you are really concerned there is no reason why you can't low carb your diet, I wouldn't go as low as some of us, but you can be careful and eat only natural crabs that you get from fruits and veggies and limit the rest, plus keep up with your exercise.

That is what I would do. :)

BextaJ

Thanks for all the input guys. Its always good to get some opinions from people who are experiencing the same kind of things (rollercoaster BSLs) and not just a Doc who quiet possibly hasn't ever experienced anything other than a normal level.

It's exhausting that's for sure!

sweetblood

Unfortunatly, I can SO relate! Been thru the ringer with docs and rollercoaster BG. (30 - 500 plus). Though not on a regular basis but I do top 200 most everyday and have 7 to 10 hypos per wk. It gets tiring! Hope you get answers soon as I hope I do too. :)

ZoraP

As far as low-carb dieting goes, I don't follow any one approach or diet recommendation. My diet is solely determined by my meter. So if a certain type of cracker gives me a good one-hour postprandial reading, it stays in my list of menu choices. If it doesn't, I eliminate it.

So far I've had to eliminate pretty much all "white" foods but I can eat small servings of melon, grapefruit, tomatoes, and other things I had thought would be off-limits. Nuts and fish are a big part of my diet, plus leafy greens one or two meals a day. So far I haven't jumped on the artificial sweetener bandwagon although I have made a couple of "treats" using them. I've been browsing the recipe forums for tasty low-carb ideas, too. :)

foxl

I told THEM ... if you have not heard my whining story enough times, despite being diagnosed in DKA, from reading this forum and other D sites, I figured out that I wanted Antibody and C-peptide testing, so I would not take it personally when diet and exercise and combined oral meds failed.

I would push for testing, even if you must change doctors, if you think the diagnosis is inappropriate.

jer.lawrence

I'm not 1.5, and My doc acknowledged it right away because my BG (fasting) was 320 and my A1c was 9.5. hehe.

As for low-carb diet, it sort of depends on whether or not you have any weight to lose, too. If you go too low-carb, you'll drop weight, and if you don't need to do so, that could cause problems in itself.

When I was first Dx, the first book I picked up and read was the Atkin's diet book. I went on it (though modified slightly -- I ate all the green veggies I wanted), and my BG's rapidly leveled out and became "normal." I also dropped some weight doing it.

I don't really stick with it anymore, as I've found the kinds of foods and the amount of carbs that I can eat while still keeping mynumbers in normal ranges, but it was excellent and instrumental in getting me started.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.