Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarilynMMM

Can I rule out LADA?

MarilynMMM

I am obsessing about "developing" diabetes... :o although my numbers are not really that bad, but my grandfather had diabetes and so does my mum (his daughter), although she has always been very careful with her eating and doesn't need insulin.

My numbers are usually what I would call "high within the normality range", but I know I don't tolerate carbohydrates well because a visit to Mc Donalds (eating only a hamburger, plus water and salad) sends my numbers above what is considered normal (I believe is something like 140 for 1h. and 120 for 2h).

Also recently I often get FBG levels slightly above 100 and I started to worry and to eat low carb.

I have also been diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism and then I got all worried about autoimmune diseases and developing LADA (because I am very thin and do not fit into the type 2 "prototype").

Therefore I decided to test antibodies to make sure and this were the results:

anti-GAD: 0.12 U/mL (normality range 0.00-0.90)

anti- IA2: 0.62 U/mL (normality range 0.00-0.75)

anti-insulin: 4.3 % normality less than 10%

anti-ICA: negative (less than 1/8)

Some weeks ago I had this labs (I was eating low carb. for a while before this labs):

FBG: 93 mg/dl (65-110)

fasting insulin: 2.53 uUI/mL (6-27)

I know FBG is normal, but I don't understand why insulin is below range. My doctor told me it is good but I am not convinced... I don't trust him very much :(

I really don't know how to interpret antibodies results either, because I don't understand the normality ranges, can one have "a little bit of antibodies" and still be "normal"?

I am well aware I am more worried than I should be, but my health hasn't been very good lately and I got "oversensitive" about health problems.

Maybe someone in this forum is more knowledgeable than me about these issues and can help me to interpret the data above.

Thanks a lot,

Marilyn

foxl

Insulin has a very short half-life in the blood. That is why more MD's use C-peptide as an indirect measure of insulin production.

I'd get a stimulated c-peptide if you want to make sure.

Just because they could measure autoimmune destruction of beta cells, does not mean you have beta cell sufficiency. You could have MODY or some other form of impaired insulin production.

MarilynMMM

Thanks a lot for the imput!!

I didn't realize measuring C-pepetide could be important.

Just because they could measure autoimmune destruction of beta cells, does not mean you have beta cell sufficiency. You could have MODY or some other form of impaired insulin production.

Did you mean "couldn't measure"?

Marilyn

foxl
Thanks a lot for the input!!

I didn't realize measuring C-peptide could be important.

Did you mean "couldn't measure"?

Marilyn

YEP. Typo! Sorry.

sweetblood

I'm wondreing bout myself too. My bg has been increasing in the last 5 to 6 months going scary hi at times. I've gotten at least 5 "hi" readings on monitor in this time, couple in 400 s, several 300 s and too many 200 plus readings to count. Probably at least 300 200 plus readings in the last year. Maybe a third of those. 2 hour or more Postmeal. What concerns me more though is the flagged result I got on insulin autoantibodys. Flagged at <5 norm is 0 to 4.9. Simulated c pep was high 6.4. I'm wondering if I could have "double diabetes" or LADA w insulin resistance. I wonder bc I'm thin never obese was maybe 10 lbs over ideal wt last year and one other time in life (due to predinisone-but wen I have taken it in last year I gained NO wt though it made bg skyrocket and was eatin like a horse after I got off of it. Should I ask doc to perhaps repeat AB tests; in other words could this be just the beginning of my islets failing and it wasn't detectable when tested six months ago. Just wondering and worried...

foxl

Sweetblood, worth considering. We have had comments here too, there are T1.5's without (apparent) autoimmune activity -- just insulin insuficiency.

sweetblood

Thanks for yur input, Linda. I'm gonna talk to my endo when I see her next month and see if she will re run the AB tests. I'm curiuos to see how they turn out. I will let u know how they turn out.

Rekarb
I'm wondreing bout myself too. My bg has been increasing in the last 5 to 6 months going scary hi at times. I've gotten at least 5 "hi" readings on monitor in this time, couple in 400 s, several 300 s and too many 200 plus readings to count. Probably at least 300 200 plus readings in the last year. Maybe a third of those. 2 hour or more Postmeal. What concerns me more though is the flagged result I got on insulin autoantibodys. Flagged at <5 norm is 0 to 4.9. Simulated c pep was high 6.4. I'm wondering if I could have "double diabetes" or LADA w insulin resistance. I wonder bc I'm thin never obese was maybe 10 lbs over ideal wt last year and one other time in life (due to predinisone-but wen I have taken it in last year I gained NO wt though it made bg skyrocket and was eatin like a horse after I got off of it. Should I ask doc to perhaps repeat AB tests; in other words could this be just the beginning of my islets failing and it wasn't detectable when tested six months ago. Just wondering and worried...

For one thing, I'd say your "prediabetic" days are over. You need to get those sugars under control. The test I would ask for is a Glucose Tolerance Test. This test is really for your doc. It will show him or her that something serious is going on and that action needs to be initiated.

Good Luck

Mike

sweetblood

Yeah, Mike that's what I'm thinking too, unfortunatly. I also think she needs to run a OGTT on me since its been over a year since last one. My neurologist thinks my outta contril bg is makking my tourettes flare up. I'm waiting to hear from endo now. I'm hoping she will work me in this week. Ill keep ya posted.

lizard99

Sweetblood - I hope you get your levels under control. My son has Tourette's also and we are not a fan of flare-ups :(

lizard99

My son is 12, almost 13. He was diagnosed at 8 years old. We are very fortunate that his case is mild enough that he does not need to take any medication. His neurologist said puberty can be rough..so we're praying and keeping our fingers crossed that his tics do not become any worse. His flare ups tend to come after he's had some sort of viral infection...no fun:(

sweetblood

I was dx at age 11. Nope, flare ups are no fun! I've been on meds since dx. Sometimes, depending on the type of tics I'm having, I feel like I'm gonna pass out (hyperventilation). When my tics get really bad I just wanna lockk myself inside my house and not leave. They're EXHAUSTING, physically and mentally. Btw I'm in my mid 30s and have my own place, FINALLY. There's a story behind my going out on my own so late in life, If yuo care to hear it I will tell ya the gist of it. But I have been on my own for 6 yrs now and holding my own (with some assistance). I get SSI disability bc of my TS and other issues I have. But I think your son will do just fine and not need that kind of help, being he has a mild case. I feel lucky to be on my own and have my own space as I value having that greatly. I will tell you more bout my other issues but it will be a little at a time as I get distracted very easily.

sweetblood

Lizard, I'm opening a thread where we can discuss ts w o taking over this thread. Titled. "All things Tourette". Come join me there (in Chit chat section)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.