Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aaren

depression links?

aaren

does anyone have any links to...well...diabetics dealing with depression? I know I've had this long enough where I should be able to deal and cope, and I've been told so, and I do for the most part, but I think I'm subject to depression anyways, and it always tends to revolve around my diabetes.

Whether I make a mistake and run high and get irritable and angry with those around me or act irrational and have to deal with the consequences, or low in a uncompromising situation and burden those around me or slow them down. My doctor keeps trying to convince me that I should be on anti-depressants and until recently the thought never became a serious one. But I don't like what I've seen anti-depressants do to some people I've known.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jon

I know what you mean about seeing anti depressants mess people up. I think they are over prescribed. I believe there are a few cases where prozac or zoloft or one of the many others could help, but I think for most people, it isn't necessary.

I would look for some group counceling or other function where you are around other diabetics if you feel you need some help with depression.

snydermom

aaren - Why do you think your depression is linked only to your diabetes? You say you've been subject to it before.

I am not the diabetic in this household ... my hub is. But I have been prone to depression and have taken meds on 4 different occasions over almost 30 years.

I, also, HATE taking meds. Blood pressure pills make me nervous! I am terrified of getting "hooked" on anything. I smoke & drink beer and got hooked on those faster than you can say Jack Rabbit! So the thought of DRUGS terrifies me.

But when things were finally so bad I realized that there are meds to help my brain - just like there are meds to help your diabetes.

People don't realize that depression is a chemical imbalance. Are you reading this, Aaren? Chemical. It can be helped by medication to get it back in balance. You don't have to worry that taking something means hooked for the rest of your life. It means taking medication long enough to get yourself well and then wean off. We're talking about a couple of months.

Anti-depressants don't always mean prozac or other major mind drugs. Paxil is mild as you can get and Elavil is MY "druggie" of choice. They don't space you out - rather give you your life back.

I remember the 1st time I started on Elavil. I took it for about 3 weeks when my 5 year old looked at me with surprise and delight and said "Mommy, you're smiling!" How long had it been?

I understand and commend your concern. I also think if you are so unhappy to even post this question, it's time to listen to your doctor. If you can't take care of yourself, how can you expect to help take care of your family?

Different meds will affect you in different ways. Elavil made me sleepy so I only took it at night. Paxil was massively mild so it didn't help my headaches. But they both did what they were supposed to do ... and that was be happy with my life.

I can't imagine what you think when dealing with your diabetes. I only suggest you try the help that is out there.

Good luck. Beth.

aaren

Well, I only get depressed when it comes to diabetes, and when I feel I'm burdening people around me with it. Other than that I'm pretty happy :cool:

Shalyndria

The subject of depression is, I feel, a great topic to bring up here! After all, I'm sure that there is not one person who has not experienced it before.

Here's my opinion.

I'm wondering who is telling you that you should be able to "deal and cope" with having this disease. Of course you should, but you are only human. Does having this disease for a long enough time mean that it becomes something that should evoke no emotion in you? It is natural to be frustrated and down about your condition and nobody should tell you otherwise. Which leads me to question your support system. I firmly believe that any support system should be willing to shoulder the good AND the bad when helping a friend or loved one. After all, life is only a bowl of cherries until they sit out for too long. I've had this disease for 12 years, fairly long, and I still have days where I would rather just stay in bed, and not ever have to deal with it again. But that doesn't last long. I think that the duration of the depression is what matters.

As for the antidepressants, if you don't want to take them, don't. Chances of success when you are reluctant are not as good, either. They are not meant to be a miracle pill - they are meant to be used in conjunction with therapy to learn how to deal with depression. Snydermom is right, however. Severe depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is that for you. I believe that the difference is whether it debilitates you or not. And I do have experience with this. I definitely agree with Jon in that they are over-prescribed. Yet another case of Dr's taking the easy way out.

Talk to other diabetics. Depression is a relative thing that happens to everyone. Check around your neighbourhood for a diabetic support group; they are worth their weight in gold! Believe me, talking face to face to someone who has similar experiences to yours is like taking happy pills in itself! It's a whole different ball-park than internet chatting. Check your local hospital for any info, and if you can't find a local organization, start one yourself. All you have to do is post in hospitals and/or clinics.

Let me know how you are doing. If you find you are really down and need someone to load off on, feel free to email or post to me. I've been there, so I can empathize.

Keep smiling! :D

Lauz03

Can ne 1 help me? I have a few of the symptoms of diabetes (2 or 3) and i'm worried i mite have it. I'm 14 and i don't really understand diabetes. I really need some advice ... can ne one help me?????

Lauz03

erm..... constant headaches, blurred vision, occasional blackouts and something else i don't really want 2 mention on here and yeah my Grandad and great uncle had it

Lauz03

are there testys u can buy in the chemist and if so how much r they coz i don't want 2 tell my mum till i'm sure so i have 2 spend my pocket money

Jon

maybe you have low blood pressure. Have you had that checked yet? You definately need to see a doctor. Are you taking any medication that might have side effects like this?

Just a guess, you aren't in the U.S. are you? I don't know what is available outside of the states, but here they sell glucose test strips in the pharmacy. The brand I use is Bayer. They are called Keto-Diastix. You dip them in your urine, wait 30 seconds, and match up the color on the stick with the color on the bottle. It will tell you how much sugar is in your urine. If there is very much, you need to start getting treatment right away.

aaren
Originally posted by Lauz03

are there testys u can buy in the chemist and if so how much r they coz i don't want 2 tell my mum till i'm sure so i have 2 spend my pocket money

You can buy test strips to test your urine, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want to tell your mother. If you are really worried I would tell your parents and see a physician if possible. Testing your blood and urine would be what the physician would do.

I noticed this post was from last month, so hopefully you're ok. :)

lgvincent

I'd like to be able to find some depression links too. I thought I was finally getting some relief from this current one but like a hurricane, it suddenly is getting stronger. I don't know what's going on.

Belinda

Lauz003 please tell your parents. What you need is to see a physician and let them run all the test. It could be a number of things and you are going to make yourself sick thinking of what they could be. Good Luck... If you are in school have the nurse check blood pressure and anything she/he can.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.