Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

Am I doomed to wear a fanny pack?

rak1978

I ran for the first time in about 7 yrs this weekend on the beach. First time really running (apart from short bursts in the gym or while walking) since being diagnosed w/ diabetes. I was lucky enough to have my husband w/ me and he offered to carry my backpack w/ all my diabetes paraphernalia & other necessities while I ran (he walked), otherwise, I wouldn't know what to do w/ all my gear....can't push a stroller (i.e. stuff holder) on the sand! I'm considering adding this to my exercise routine a few times a week. For the runners out there, what do you do w/ all your stuff? Deep pockets? Fanny pack? :T

fgummett

If there is no handy Husband at hand then how about a dog?

packfrontpage.jpg

---

When I went looking for the picture above I found this other that I could not resist...

988137854_d738b633b4.jpg

rak1978

That's hilarious, Frank! :T . The dog idea is not a bad one at all!

Although, I'm not sure that beach allows dogs.

Don't think Abbey (our black lab) would fit discretely in a fanny pack :D :T.

Jan B

Hi Rachel,

Running on the beach sounds great, especially since I'm about 300 miles from any sort of beach. Your dog would love it if he/she could go. Personally, I'd worry a bit about jellyfish, etc. I could be called overprotective for sure.

When I go for long dog walks, I simply take a few glucose tabs with me. I usually put them in a little bag and put them in my pocket. I don't take anything else; just the glucose tabs. On the other hand, what's wrong w/a fanny pack? I still think they were a great invention.

That's a mighty handsome dog, Frank.

stardustshadow

What about a small backpack, like a Camelback (which I am sure you know carries a couple liters of water, too). Mine is really small and comfy to wear while running, and has handy pockets for all of my diabetes stuff AND a water tank!:)

notme

How do you carry water? I found a water bottle holder that has a big enough pocket for my meter and some strips. I put glucose or candy in the bottom of the pouch for the water. Pretty small.

Joeprep4820

When I'm running it's usually in an urban environment or a city park, so I carry my iPod on an armband which also holds my money and cards, and a tube of cake icing (works better than gluca-gel and is much cheaper) in my pocket. Usually if I feel low during a run I'll stop in a store or at a street vendor, grab a Gatorade or Vitamin Water, and be fine.

Jan B

Ok, beat me if I'm being a dummy!

Why do you all think it's necessary to have a meter and strips along with you? If you go low, you know it, right? -- Why test? Just have some glucose and keep going.

Seriously, I may be dumb about this, but I don't think I always need extra supplies every time I leave my house, unless it is going to be for quite a while (hours).

rak1978
Ok, beat me if I'm being a dummy!

Why do you all think it's necessary to have a meter and strips along with you? If you go low, you know it, right? -- Why test? Just have some glucose and keep going.

Seriously, I may be dumb about this, but I don't think I always need extra supplies every time I leave my house, unless it is going to be for quite a while (hours).

You're not being a dummy! We're just all different in how we manage things :). I am very volatile w/ exercise (especially cardio and especially w/ a B.O.B.). I don't always know when I go low. The other day, I had gone 40 minutes on the treadmill and didn't feel low, but I stopped to talk to my husband for a sec. and thought I would test just to be sure cause I wanted to go longer...I was at 50. Had I not tested, I would've gone on at least another 20 minutes and may have made a scene at the gym. Then there are other times when I feel low after exercise and I'm not at all.

To answer your question in your first post about what's wrong w/ fanny packs....my simple answer is the name.

poodlebone

How about a SPIbelt? I've never used one but have read a lot of good things about them. It seems that they fit closer to the body and don't bounce around. I'm not sure how much you could fit in one, though. Do you take a smaller meter with you when you run?

rak1978

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions! Those are great ideas.

Liz, I'm gonna get one of those for sure! The name sold it.

I will feel much cooler running w/ my spibelt than my fannypack.

:T .

Jan B

You got me Rachel. If your low-sensors are not working properly, definitely have a meter and strips. I've had some good bouts of hypo-unawareness and would be smart to do what you are doing if I'm gone for more than an hour. At least I test before leaving the house.

I think fanny pack is a silly name, especially since most people wear it on their belly. But belly pack would be even worse!

Hmmmm . . . SPIbelt . . . cool, an actual running belt.

Penny

Just change the Fanny Packs name to....George or something. Then you can say "I went running with George on the beach today". :D

rak1978
If you think "fanny" pack sounds bad in N America... Just be glad you don't live in England :eek:

Do I even want to know?

Okay, top secret, covert, special mission SPIbelt is on order...and it's the "diabetic" version, supposedly accommodates pumps well.

SCC

SPIbelts rock. I have several. If you take the clip off your pump and put it in, it fits really well under clothes too! I sent my insulin pump version back because I didn't see any improvement over regular. I flip the belt upside down depending on which way I want the tubing to come out.

They go right into the washer and dryer just fine.

PS - did you know if you enter the word "pump" in the discount/code box. you get 10% off?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.