Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

Are you kidding me? Splitting Lev dose

foxl
You will work this out Linda as this will take some time to get used to the new insulin. You will get there Lin. :D

Thanks Peter -- I HOPE SO! :T

Ken58

The only problem I have with Levimer is that it only lasts about six to eight hours on bad days and upto 12 hours on a very good day.

I had to standarize a base line of two injections of 12u per injection. These injections normally occure some where around 1000Hrs & 2200Hrs, but my schedule is very lax. There are times where I do the first injection as early as 0600 or as late as 1300. I really should lock down to a specific schedule but the last thing I want to do is deal with an injection when my head is throbing. Can you believe it, After five years I am still needle-phobic!

Nothing makes me more nervious than giving myself an injection. At one time it would take over an hour to build up the nerve to actually stick that huge (ultra-fine 31g x 5mm) needle into my skin. Now I am down to about three minutes.

Subby
I keep reading about people taking Levemir and then having to reduce it. It's as if, past a certain point, the body puts up resistance to the insulin and adding more will not give you a change in bs. My problem with this is that some people go hypo while some get no real change. How do you know which type of person you are? Can you be doing just fine and then your body suddenly begins to react to the extra insulin then you go low? My only answer is to go very slow.

Mike

Hey Mike, I understand this impression to be this trend with Lev over other insulins, I know of no way to know (no studies, no announcements from relevant bodies and companies) for sure if it's special in that regard. My answer to you would be, taking it slow is a perfect response to the issue and I'd recommend it with any insulin anyway. I think you will find out as you go if it is consistent or reliable for you, or if the action seems to vary.

And that's always been the way with any insulin. You just have to try it and see how your body goes with it. If you have hypos that you don't think are understandable for other reasons and is likely to purely be the insulin being unreasonable quirky, you can stop or try another insulin.

While I too have seen some more user reports on Lev than other long actings that suggest action quirkiness for some people in the variable action stakes, I have not picked up that it's unique in not sitting well with some people, and this is not some huge issue that is being ignored or covered up by the medical world. I could be wrong.

Subby
The only problem I have with Levimer is that it only lasts about six to eight hours on bad days and upto 12 hours on a very good day.

I had to standarize a base line of two injections of 12u per injection. These injections normally occure some where around 1000Hrs & 2200Hrs, but my schedule is very lax. There are times where I do the first injection as early as 0600 or as late as 1300. I really should lock down to a specific schedule but the last thing I want to do is deal with an injection when my head is throbing. Can you believe it, After five years I am still needle-phobic!

Nothing makes me more nervious than giving myself an injection. At one time it would take over an hour to build up the nerve to actually stick that huge (ultra-fine 31g x 5mm) needle into my skin. Now I am down to about three minutes.

Aww Ken, needle phobia for that long? Poor bugger! Have you looked into getting some help with that? There might be some simple things in the way of CBT, hypnosis, who knows, that could help reduce that unneeded stress in your life.

As for the action of Lev, I get a similar short action. I need 3 shots through the day to keep my blood sugars dampened. This length of action does appear to vary a lot between people. As Mike points out above, user feedback suggests quite a bit of variability with Levemir in all sorts of ways!

Taking your shots at the same time each day could make a world of difference to your control. I wish you strength in doing that, and I bet it will be less of a psychological stress if you just know that you take your morning shot at say 8am (or say between 8 and 8:30am), you deal with it then, and you don't have it hanging over your head for the next x hours.

foxl

Adventures with Levemir!

I am grateful for the fellowship, if not for solutions ... ;)

So today I used 6U at 10 am ... so far I seem to be running lower, but experiencing HUNGER this afternoon. Having to distract myself from eating ... and oddly, still running around 110 - 120?? It's like the hunger I would typically get around 80 - 90 though. Hummph.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.