Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizzie G

bad news

Jan B

You will be on my mind tomorrow Lizzie. I too hope all this comes out ok. Please keep us updated on what you learn and how you are doing.

Big hug,

soso

My fingers and toes are all crossed for you.. if it helps my sis was told one of her babies might have a genetic problem and he was fine...

hugs

cassandrajade

Thinking of you Liz.

Thoughts and prayers are for you today.

I'll ask my little angel in heaven to watch over you as well. <3

rmel

the nuchal fold membrane sometimes is thicker with "older" mothers, i.e. after 35. Wait until the CVS comes back, and I am sending good thoughts your way.

Lizzie G

Hi guys

Been to the hospital and had various news.

1) blood result showed 1 in 5 likelihood of down's (they dont screen for other stuff until CVS in my area). the consultant explained that this is mainly based on the nuchal measurement and the level of one hormone being high and another low which is quite indicative of downs.

2) I had a more detailed scan with a better camera. the nuchal fold is definitely thick and extends too far down the baby's body. The consultant was unable to identify the nasal bone which again is indicative of down's (im not sure about other chromosomal abnormalities). she couldnt identify any other indicators.

3) I had the CVS. She managed to get a good sample in a good position which minimises the risk of miscarriage. I will get the results later in the week as to whether the baby has Down's, Pattau or Edward's syndrome; if these are negative I will get further results in another couple of weeks for other genetic tests.

So, its not looking great to be honest and my stomach hurts from the giant needle!

Thanks everyone for your support. I think I have a boy with Down's. I will know for sure in a few days.

Liz xxx

foxl

Best wishes and tons of support, Lizzie!

Hi guys

Been to the hospital and had various news.

1) blood result showed 1 in 5 likelihood of down's (they dont screen for other stuff until CVS in my area). the consultant explained that this is mainly based on the nuchal measurement and the level of one hormone being high and another low which is quite indicative of downs.

2) I had a more detailed scan with a better camera. the nuchal fold is definitely thick and extends too far down the baby's body. The consultant was unable to identify the nasal bone which again is indicative of down's (im not sure about other chromosomal abnormalities). she couldnt identify any other indicators.

3) I had the CVS. She managed to get a good sample in a good position which minimises the risk of miscarriage. I will get the results later in the week as to whether the baby has Down's, Pattau or Edward's syndrome; if these are negative I will get further results in another couple of weeks for other genetic tests.

So, its not looking great to be honest and my stomach hurts from the giant needle!

Thanks everyone for your support. I think I have a boy with Down's. I will know for sure in a few days.

Liz xxx

notme

I know things don't look so good right now Lizzie, but hang really tough. We are here to listen and to send you good wishes and prayers. This is such a tough time for you right now. I hope and pray your baby is just fine.

lorilei

oh lizzie..just read all of this..parenthood and impending parenthood is such a terribly exciting and scary time..i hope all of this turns around in your favor...and of course all babies are lovable! hoping for a healthy and easy pregnancy dear lady!

PiratePinball

My little brother has downs and was a huge blessing for our family. I love james and he has the most positive awesome attitude towards life. Really an inspiration to me everyday, I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

Either way I hope for your baby to be healthy as possible.

PiratePinball
Hidden

My little brother has downs and was a huge blessing for our family. I love james and he has the most positive awesome attitude towards life. Really an inspiration to me everyday. I hope for the best for you.

Lizzie G
My little brother has downs and was a huge blessing for our family. I love james and he has the most positive awesome attitude towards life. Really an inspiration to me everyday, I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

Either way I hope for your baby to be healthy as possible.

Thankyou so much, we don't know yet that it is Down's and I actually hope it is - the other possibilities are unimaginable. I know a life with child with Down's will be hard work and also extremely rewarding. If we do find out this is the case I will be certain to PM you, every piece of experience and advice as to how to give our child the most love and happiness and a good start in life will be a blessing. We nervously await some news which may be today, tomorrow, or Friday...........

alicat61

Hi Lizzie,

Huge hugs from me, Over the years i have had a lot to do with people with Downs Syndrome, My sister is interlectually Impaired and her boyfriend has Downs. Plus through Jennifer i have met heaps.Also through my work. They are lovable people and many now hold jobs in the community. They live long active lives.

I'm a great believer that special people are given special kids

davef

Lizzie,

Thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers, we are here for you. Wishing you and your baby the best of health. I know a few people with Downs (I am unfamiliar with the other syndromes you mention) and similar to what others have said, the people I know with Downs are wonderful, happy and extremely loving.

(((HUGS)))

genie86333

Hi, Lizzie. I've been away a bit & missed this too until just now.

When my sister was pregnant, they told her there was a problem with the baby - at the very least she had 2 birth defects & based on those problems, suspected she could have abnormalities that would kill her within minutes of being born...or just as bad - that she could have a problem that if she bumped her head or fell down, she could bleed to death internally within minutes, especially up until her first birthday.

We prepared for the worst but hoped for the best & it's good tha we hoped for the best because my niece is now an active, happy pre-schooler. Yes, she had 3 birth defects...one which resolved itself (2 holes in her heart), one which she probably won't ever have problems with (malformed but perfectly functioning kidneys,) and one she's needed multiple surgeries for (3 so far, at least one more in the future - to correct for missing & malformed bones in her arms) but she's the least "disabled" person I'd ever seen - there were worries that even if she survived birth she wouldn't be able to feed or dress herself, brush her hair, hold a pencil, etc. But I can't think of a single thing she hasn't been able to do that other kids her age can. And, like all kids, she's got PERSONALITY! I'll never forget the time my sister asked her (at about 1 year old) for a kiss & she crawled over to ME and kissed me & looked at her mom like "what'cha going to do about it, Mom?"

I don't have any actual experience with Downs Syndrome, but my step-mom worked for United Cerebral Palsy when I was a teen & some of her clients have left me with very good memories. I'm so glad I had the chance to get to know them.

No matter what happens - that baby is a blessing. But I think from your more recent posts, you know that already. My thoughts are with you & the little one.

Lizzie G

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that we got some news. Our baby has a rare chromosomal disorder that means its not going to do well in this world. We have decided to have a termination which is the kindest thing to do under the circumstances. Its an extremely hard thing to choose to do and not one that everyone would make or agree with but it's the best thing for us. I feel closer to my husband and more in love with him than ever. We are just glad to have some closure and to have reached a decision that sits well with us, and to know that some day when we have grieved the loss of this baby, that we can have fresh hope of a healthy child. At least it looks like one of those random pieces of bad luck rather than an inherited thing.

Anyhow guys, thankyou all so much for your thoughts and support and prayers....its certainly been a difficult time and will be for a while longer i guess, but we are being strong for each other and finding strength in each other and know that things will turn out ok in the end.

Liz xxx

AngelKitty

Thanks for the update Lizzie, my thoughts have been with you - take care of yourself hon.

Sending you ((((Hugs)))).

palefacegirl03

Lizzie, I am so sorry. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. This time will be rough,I know,just take it one day at a time. Take care of yourself.

princesslinda

My thoughts and prayers are with you both Liz. Hang on to each other through these rough times.

notme

Thank you for keeping us updated Lizzie. Your decision is a hard one, but I know that you have made the best choice for you and your family. You are in my heart, my thoughts and my prayers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.