Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

surprise

33, type 1, and pregnant

surprise

i just found out this past tuesday that i am pregnant, 5.2 weeks. i am really scared and nervous. i've already seen my endocrinologist and ob. this was not planned and my sugars have always been all over the place. since finding out, i'm getting on the pump (this coming monday) and am constantly checking too. i am also single and just really worried, but then switch to being okay knowing that all i can do is the best i can to be in the best control from now on. any advice, opinions, suggestions? i just want a healthy baby, i don't know what i would do otherwise...was always so against getting pregnant unless i was in the most "ideal" situation...health, financially, support, etc.

2high

Hi Surprise,

I'm Kit, I'm 26, t1 and 33 weeks pregnant... also unplanned, and with a pre-preg a1c of 12.7.

My dr put me on a pump when I was around 6 weeks in, and it is the BEST thing I could possibly have done d-wise, so you're heading in the right direction, imho... my a1c is now 6.6... it's still not "perfect", but its a heck of a lot better, and my baby is perfectly healthy.

You'll probably be told constantly that you are "high risk"... don't let it scare you!!! Babies of diabetic women tend to be a bit bigger than normal, but as long as you do the best that YOU can, everything should be fine... its also an oft-repeated thing that t1 women will NEED a c-section. Again, not necessarily. My aim is to have a natural delivery, unless, for some reason, a c-section is needed for the baby's sake.

There are a lot of t1 women on here who have had multiple pregnancies, with no complications, natural deliveries, and beautiful healthy babies :-)

Good luck!

AngelKitty

Congratulations on your happy news :)

I'm a T1 and 14+ weeks pregnant.

The best advice is to try and not stress, stress makes our BGLs worse.

And test, test, test - all the time!

Katrina Stovold

THIS IS SOOO EXCITING!!! DONT WORRY, you will be just fine!! I am married, sometimes wish I WAS A SINGLE MUM. lol......just wonder what it would be like! Nah, I love my husband. Seriously, us mums do most of the work anyway!! Just get it under control now and you will do great.......I feel I was too strict, had too many lows, docs can be so tough on you and expect perfection, but just do your best and dont let them scare you......I had natural delivery at 34 weeks. baby arrived early, who knows why! hba1c was 5.7% throughout but 8% or roundabouts when conceived. Bub is soo healthy. I want another one but diabetes not as good now, but if I fell pregnant I would whip myself back into control right away. You become very good at controlling you D once you hear the good pregnancy news! Being pregnant is great too, I loved it....how exciting it all is to have a gorgeous bundle at the end of it all, a little cute baby that loves and relies on you is fantastic. xx you can do it

!

surprise

thank you so much for all the support, it means the world to me. i haven't been able to talk to anyone about it really. i told my parents and that's about it other than my doctors. of course, i have a ton of questions and thoughts since leaving their offices. does anyone know at what point i would find out if the fetus is having developmental problems (i.e. spinal and cardiac abnormalities)? i absolutely love the positivity, but i also want to know the hard facts as well, you know? i definitely think god and the universe presented this to me as a gift and possibly the only chance i will get to have a child, so i'm just hoping, praying and trying my best to give this little being the best care i can in order for it to be healthy!

2high

I'm not sure where you live, but in Aus, where Angel Kitty (Vicky) and I are, t1 mum's have scans at 12, 20, 28, 32, and 36 weeks. They do checks for downs syndrome and Trisomy18 at 12 weeks, and keep checking for abnormalities throughout. From memory, they do a fairly detailed check of baby's heart at 20 weeks... but as long as you stay healthy, eat right, excercise regularly but safely, and take your folic acid and vitamins, you should be right! It sounds like a lot, but its all part and parcel :) PM me if you need to chat at all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.