Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Des

Victoza

Des

Victoza is a new(ish) med that my Endo and diabetes educator would like to see me in.

I have read many great things about this but also some pretty scary side effects... anyone got any opinions? or does anyone take this?

Been told that it is about $6 per day costs for this injectable drug too.

Cheers

Des

sridder

I started on Victoza at the beginning of July. I'm taking it in place of Byetta. Because it doesn't have to be timed with meals it's easier for me to use. And it's one injection a day. I had no side effects from the switch and my BG levels have been better than ever...probably because I wasn't always taking Byetta as I should have been.

Des

Many thanks for the reply. I appreciate any information regarding this product.

Good news about your numbers by the way.

LaughSing

I started on Victoza at the beginning of May, and by the beginning of July, my a1c was down by 1.0 from where it was on Byetta. Of course, it was pretty awful on Byetta... ;)

I'm still suffering with dawn phenom, so my a1c isn't going to make anyone stand up and salute just yet, but it's definitely headed in the right direction.

I'm also still on Lantus and Glyburide, and currently trying a small dose of Novolog to try to beat the DP.

Des

Many thanks for that... did you suffer any nasty side effects when you first started Victoza?

And cn I ask if you are on the 0.6 or the 1.2 dosage.

Thank you for the reply by the way.

sridder

I started taking the 1.2 dosage for the first week and then upped to 1.8. If you've not taken Byetta they will probably recommend you start at .6, then move to 1.2 and then up to 1.8. My BG levels have been in the 70s and 80s since I switched. I also take Metformin (2000mg) and Actos (30mg).

RE: LaughSing and DP - I used to have a touch of that as well. My Diabetes Educator advised me to always eat a bedtime snack - 1 Carb, 1 Protein. When I remember to do that my morning numbers are very good. When I forget my morning numbers go up.

LaughSing

I took the .6 dosage for a week, and then went to the 1.2, and have been on that ever since. I was a bit queasy for a while, but nothing awful. I've had quite a time with headaches, but I think that's because my numbers were pretty bad before, and my body can't seem to adjust to the new "low" level because of the stupid DP. I think once I can really level out, I should be okay.

sridder, I've tried the snack thing... I don't have a "touch" of DP, I'm getting SLAMMED by it. If I don't eat, my BG will go up by 100 points. 50 points in an hour isn't unusual. Spoils a really nice fasting reading.

Des

Many thanks for the detail, appreciate the information... It is always helpful to get some input of new meds prior to going on them.

jenafl

I went on Victoza in April.My #'s and weight loss were great.A1c 5.7 dwn from around 8 three years ago.The roblem for me was cost.My Endo wants me to take the 1.8 dose,but I am finding out after coming up with the cost of a script ($330) after discounts (3 pens).That I do not get the same amount of doses as with the sample pens from my Dr.Looks like I'm only going to get a week @ 1.2,not the 1.8 he wants.This takes it out of my ability to pay for.To bad,it really is a great drug.I don't understand why the difference...just not right.Antone else finding this to be true?

jeggeman31

I started taking in in late June, early July. 1.8 dose, no side effects at all and I am down almost 12 pounds. Only side effect is forcing myself to eat. I decided one day not to eat until my body told me I was hungry, and after 36 hours I decided to go ahead and eat even tho my body was not hungry.

rayjos42

I have started Victoza on Monday last, so I'm on it 3 days now. No side effects as of yet. I started on 0.6 and will go onto 1.2 after a week. So far so good:)

Ray:)

redheaded

Hi all....I started on victoza almost three weeks ago and I am loving it!..I am only taking one click past .6 and the results are amazing. I have not felt ill at all...just not hungry...almost like it too much of a bother to chew...lol. down 15 lbs. the only downside is a funny taste in my mouth, but that's what gum is for...right? I'm just impressed it hasn't lost the effectiveness yet...anyone else have same issue?

jlaracuente

Started Victoza 9/1/10. It makes me a little queasy but I don't get the terrible nausea from taking Byetta(stopped!). Helps me if I eat something before the V dose(1.8). Lost almost 15 lbs since starting V. The drug-info sheet indicates a possible & serious side-effect for certain users. I'm not too worried about it. However, my resting pulse has increased by about 20 beats since starting V. My endo doesn't believe V is causing the increase and the cardiologist says the ekg confirms increase but doesn't have a reason. I'm wondering if any other V users are having similar problem with the pulse.

muttduck

I was Dx'd earlier this year with diabetes, a month after Dx, I tested positive for antibodies...

Went on Victoza, and never needed more than the 0.6 dose.

It was beautiful after the initial nausea, and a month of feeling like never eating again, I went from an A1C of 9.0 and a weight of 179, down to a 6.8 and 139 in just 3 months. Once I hit 139, my weight hit that proverbial 'plateau' and didn't go lower. But, I was as happy as a person could be. I had gone from an 'obese' BMI to a 'normal BMI, my numbers were pretty good, and it looked like I had things in control.

Then, in June, after a pile of stress, it would appear that my body decided to destroy all that was left of the insulin producing cells. Without any cells to produce insulin, Victoza was no longer able to have my body increase production. My sugars became impossible to control, my A1C in August reflected the issues at 7.9. We stopped the Victoza and I went onto insulin. I was pretty crushed, and went back through all the stages of 'grieving' that I went through when first being diagnosed, just because it felt like I was losing the battle again.

After coming off the Victoza, be warned, I felt like I could eat half of the country. Seriously. And I don't think that would have been enough, honestly. I was always starving, and never full. I mean, there was no trigger to the brain saying "Full" so I would eat and eat trying to 'feel full' despite my stomach complaining about having no more room for food. I went back into snacking on all of the foods I had been avoiding, and eating huge portions.

Now, it's been about 2 months since the removal of Victoza, and I'm finally eating normal portions, little snacking, feeling full when I should, etc...

Also, in case someone was curious, NO, I didn't gain back the weight I lost on the Victoza. I'm still hovering around 139.

katinasdavis

Hello I have been on 0.6 victoza for 5 days so far. I had a little headache and just a little nasuea the first 2 days. On saturday will be moving up to 1.2. (Im a little nervous about this). I still have the dp. Can anyone sugesst things to eat? I dont know what to eat. before i go to bed. Dont want to eat to much Im never hungry on the victoza.

muttduck

I forced myself to eat the first few weeks. I did best with raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and a little bit of fruit (apples, strawberries, pineapple) for breakfast, since they were full of fiber. The fiber helped 'keep things moving' for me, since one of my side effects was constipation the first week (as in, NOTHING at all, from Monday to Friday.) Something about eating those for breakfast also seemed to help spur the appetite for lunch, gave me a little more energy, and helped battle the 'mopey' feeling I had.

September3

Hi, I've been on Victoza for 3 1/2 mos and my Aic has gone from 7.5 to 6.9. I am doing the 1.2 dosage and my PA wants me to stay there for another 3 mos and see what happens. I too experienced a little nasuea when I first started the medication. I found that if I waited until the middle of the afternoon to take it I did much better. I lost about 10 lbs and probably would have lost more if I would have tried harder! The occasional burping that taste like something died inside of me comes and goes but my low numbers are worth it. My blood sugar levels in the morning are usually around 100. In addition to the Victoza I take 1000mg Metformin twice a day.

katinasdavis

well im now on day 12. i must of spoke to early i have been so sick. I cant keep anything down. i have been to the dr and they have advised me to stop the victoza. i really want to try a little longer. for those of you that had an upset stomache with vomiting how long did it last?

amiguita

I am on week three of Victoza and all I can say is Hallelujah! It has truly been an answer to prayer. Everything else I had been prescribed prior to this was making me sick, sick, and sicker. Anything over 500 mg of Metformin was lethal for me, I was switched to Actos and that was a disaster, too. Finally found an endocrinologist who actually listened to me and on the 20th of October, I switched to the Victoza. I saw an improvement on the initial dose of .6 mg and an amazing response at 1.2 mg. I have been able to reduce the Glucovance to 1/2 of the dosage I was taking. I take that in the morning and the 1.2 mg of Victoza in the evening. It would be nice to eventually do away with the Glucovance altogether, but if I don't, I'll still be happy. It's the difference between night and day.

Yesterday, my fasting number was 90. This morning it was 80!!! I can hardly believe it. I had some minimal nausea and a headache for the first couple of days but that has since subsided. I have a little more flexibility with my carb intake, especially in the afternoon and evening, but I am still maintaining a low carb diet of less than 50 grams per day. Surprisingly, after following this low carb diet, it's not so hard to maintain. I find I don't miss the carbs as much any more. In any event, in the last week, my numbers have consistently stayed in the double digits. I am still amazed at the fasting numbers since I was a true Dawn Phenomenon(er). Waking up to fasting numbers of 128 - 150 was the norm for me. Nothing was getting those numbers down so I am very, very pleased and I feel better than I have in MONTHS!

Cheers :D

jlaracuente

As I had previously reported, my heart rate hasincreased by 20-30 beats since about the same time I started Victoza about three months ago. A recent echo indicated that my EF was down and two EKGs have shown tachycardia(fast pulse). My Endo says Victoza is not known to cause the problem but my primary doctor just took me off Victoza temporarily. He correctly reasons that Victoza was just FDA-approved in Jan 2010 and that not all side effects have emerged and little is known about what Victoza may do to cardiac patients. I'll follow that sage advice for 2-3 weeks and note how my pulse reacts.

Does anyone who takes Victoza experience similar heart problems?

jlaracuente

As I have previously posted, I suspected that Victoza was causing a heart tachycardia(fast heart rate). EKG's indicated the arrythmia and an echocardiogram show that my heart's ejection fraction(EF) had lowered from 60%(not bad) to 35%(not good). My primary doc on 11/18/10 ordered me to stop the Victoza. Within 24 hours, my heart rate returned to it's pre-V days. Unfortunately, my body rebelled with a backlash of high AM gls and uncomfortably high gls in general. Moreover, my weight is creeping back up and I'm taking much higher doses of Humalog. Today I met with my endo(who put me on V). She modified my dosing protocol and she's having me keep a 5-day log of gls, meds, activities, and food-intakes to show her at the next appt. I'm also wearing a small glucose-reading device(iPro CGM) that will take frequent gl readings 24/7 during a 5-day period. I guess the endo is trying to fine-tune a diabetes management plan for me. The endo doesn't want me on Byetta either since a known possible side effect of Byetta is a fast heart rate.

I was very happy with Victoza. I felt as if I finally found the "miracle drug" to help with the diabetes. I did file an online report with the FDA, alerting them a possible link between Victoza and heart arrythmia.

Attawapiskat

Hi jlaracuente. I have been on Victoza .6 mg for 5 days now, and I have had tachycardia also. My normal resting heart rate is in the 60's, but since I have been on Victoza it is 84-89. My blood pressure has increased also, to 142/84. My bp was previously under 130/80. I did see one drug site that listed hypertension as a side effect, and another listing fast heartbeat as a side effect of Victoza.

At any rate (pun intended) I will be telling my doctor about this. The nurse practitioner who gave me the sample of Victoza still wants me to keep going, with a dose increase to 1.2 until Friday. She said she had not heard of these side effects. I am having other side effects too, including bad nausea and dizziness, and other gastric symptoms. I can't wait until Friday. I will tell the nurse practitioner I will go on basal insulin instead. I have no intention of having tachycardia, since I am on metoprolol for angina (I told her that I was on metoprolol, but she still wanted me to up the dose of Victoza--hmmm.) Anyhoo, can't wait until Friday to get off Victoza.

makiro

I don't know if Victoza it's the sand as Byetta, but when I was on it, I developed pancreatitis and had an attack. My numbers where great, 100-195 depending what I ate. I never did trash talked about the diff, just told those who were on it to watch out for the sides effects but not to worry so much or dwell on it or it will make you sick, literally. Like any other drug, keep the risks in mind, don't dwell on them, but be prepared and know what to do.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Diabetes forums

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.