Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetblood

now considered a 1.5

sweetblood

According to my endo I am a 1.5 based on antibody test results. But I do not hafta take insulin at this point but will in the future. I do have to follow the eating plan I'm on which is to really watch my carbs and consume NO sugar whatsoever (soft drinks etc.). Lemme tell u, it really hit home when she told me that. I'm kinda freaked right now but I keep telling myself its not a death sentence. Just a different way of doing things. I'm gonna try to postpone going on insulin as long as possible by eating right etc. Anyone know if there are any books that cover type 1.5 in detail that can be ordered online?

foxl

Yes, there is always that chilling moment here and there on our trail ... glad you already know the diet!

You will manage ... we all will. Hugs, and hang in there!

sweetblood

Yeah you got that right! I started peppering her with questions at that point, I like to peed my pants! Thanks for the hugs; at times I just wanna cry. I guess I need a swift kick in da pants so I will stop "feeling sorry" for myself. What gets me is once I do end up on insulin I will hafta plan things. I am a spur of the moment type of person, but I will have to adjust. I guess its kinda like a grief process I'm going thru. I don't know how else to explain it.

sweetblood

I guess I could start reading up more on type 1.5 and insulin...to prepare myself. That will make it easier to adjust when the time comes to start insulin. I have an immense fear of the unknown when it comes to major events in my life.

matingara
Yeah you got that right! I started peppering her with questions at that point, I like to peed my pants! Thanks for the hugs; at times I just wanna cry. I guess I need a swift kick in da pants so I will stop "feeling sorry" for myself. What gets me is once I do end up on insulin I will hafta plan things. I am a spur of the moment type of person, but I will have to adjust. I guess its kinda like a grief process I'm going thru. I don't know how else to explain it.

i think your assessment of life with insulin is not correct, especially with the newer insulins that are available - such as novolog/novorapid. i chose to use insulin. it makes life easier, NOT harder, for me. i almost never plan meals that much in advance and using insulin means that i can (if i want to) eat small amounts of things i was avoiding previously (such as corn on the cob).

i still avoid bread and potatoes and pasta - because a dose of mega-carbs means a dose of mega-insulin.

please do not view insulin as the "last resort". embrace it. it can really be your friend and make life so much easier.

:)

-- joel.

sweetblood

Now that u say that I have heard countless people remark that they feel better on insulin than they did before they started insulin. Sorry, I lost my head for a minute! That happens sometimes-ha ha. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Yeah, I DO need to do some reading up on it.

foxl

Yes: you are grieving for the future you expected to have, and once you get past that you will build a new idea of what your future will be, and then it will not feel so bad, anymore.

Insulin does feel "risky" at first. But it is not that difficult. You just start low and sneak up on your doses!

SB_Krista

Matingara, I'm considering adding fast/rapid acting insulin to my regime (currently only using Lantus and low-carbing) so that I can expand my diet some, and two things concern me. !) will I gain weight? 2) the constant math involved figuring out how much to inject for any given meal with carbs. With relation to the latter, its almost easier to just avoid carbs altogether. I realize there will be a learning curve to overcome, but any advice would be appreciated.

mason330

Insulin makes it alot easier for me at least. The carb counting can be tricky, alot of trial and error! If the low carb works for you run with it!

sweetblood
Yes: you are grieving for the future you expected to have, and once you get past that you will build a new idea of what your future will be, and then it will not feel so bad, anymore.

Insulin does feel "risky" at first. But it is not that difficult. You just start low and sneak up on your doses!

You are so right! That's exactly how I'm feeling, but I will get past that and will do ok once I get the gist of it all

rzrbks

When I was Dx'd, PCP wasn't sure what I was but CDE pinned me right away as 1.5.

PCP had me on pills and insulin the next day and I'm so glad that he did. Insulin and I have been "Bestest Buddies" from the start. Other than learning to correctly count carbs, and learning my correction bolus ratios, on the whole, I'd say that my life is very good indeed.

I would not want to try dealing with this $#&^$ disease without having insulin as my bestest buddy.

Things will become easier than you think they will, I most near guarantee it.

Good luck

Tribbles
PCP had me on pills and insulin the next day and I'm so glad that he did. Insulin and I have been "Bestest Buddies" from the start. Other than learning to correctly count carbs, and learning my correction bolus ratios, on the whole, I'd say that my life is very good indeed.

I would not want to try dealing with this $#&^$ disease without having insulin as my bestest buddy.

I would echo that. I was put straight onto insulin at diagnosis and was then swapped to metformin after a few months. At the time I was making no insulin so I had no option and got over my injecting phobia fast.

On Metformin the only way I could keep my BG down was by changing my diet beyond belief. I decided I wasn't prepared to live like that and asked to go back on insulin which was refused because my A1c was good, so I went back to my old diet. My A1c rose smartly and they let me go back on insulin. My A1c is now back where I want it, I eat my regular diet, and I take insulin - all is well. :)

I have never been overweight and was told to gain weight immediately at Dx. My normal diet is a reasonably healthy mixed diet although I have reduced the amount of sugar a bit (diet rather than regular soda -that sort of thing), I eat gelato (2u insulin), and I have the occasional cupcake (3u insulin). After a surprisingly short amount of time you will know what you need for all your regular meals and you can make an educated stab at the rest. The hospital gave me a marvelous little Collin Gems book, Carb Counter, which is smaller than a tester case!

GAD
Yeah you got that right! I guess its kinda like a grief process I'm going thru. I don't know how else to explain it.

Dear Sweetblood

I was diagnosed 1.5 2 weeks ago. My head and everything else is spinning. One thing that helps me come back to earth is remembering that there is some very deep pre-verbal part of myself (of all human beings?) that DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE! esp. BIG change! I try to give myself total permission to just feel exactly what I am feeling, and to know it will pass. Some people say we "digest" change by looking at the new, and releasing the old thru 5 stages, or perspectives:

Depression, Anger, Bargaining, Denial, Acceptance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model )

It helps me to remember that it is natural and healthy and what I need to do to get on with my life! It will all work itself out, given the time and space.

Enjoy the ride!

GAD

PS: I am Digging Dr. Bernsteins book(s). He is up on 1.5 and his diet works for all types. Also check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18382053.php

and everything else on her website!

sweetblood
Dear Sweetblood

I was diagnosed 1.5 2 weeks ago. My head and everything else is spinning. One thing that helps me come back to earth is remembering that there is some very deep pre-verbal part of myself (of all human beings?) that DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE! esp. BIG change! I try to give myself total permission to just feel exactly what I am feeling, and to know it will pass. Some people say we "digest" change by looking at the new, and releasing the old thru 5 stages, or perspectives:

Depression, Anger, Bargaining, Denial, Acceptance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model )

It helps me to remember that it is natural and healthy and what I need to do to get on with my life! It will all work itself out, given the time and space.

Enjoy the ride!

GAD

PS: I am Digging Dr. Bernsteins book(s). He is up on 1.5 and his diet works for all types. Also check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18382053.php

and everything else on her website!

. Thanks! I will check links out the first chance I get. Getting ready to clock into work. Later! :)

sweetblood

I'm finding myself slipping back into old eating habits. And I'm craving sugar so badly! I've been consuming a lot more sugar sice I'm working more (for a boost-since I usually don't have time to eat till the end of my shift). HELP! Need feedback (and a slap to make me come to my senses).

statdeac
When I was Dx'd, PCP wasn't sure what I was but CDE pinned me right away as 1.5.

Things will become easier than you think they will, I most near guarantee it.

Good luck

This was my experience, too. When I tested positive for the antibodies, my endo recommended to start immediately on insulin because his feeling was that some of the research supported that it could prolong the honeymoon period. That was enough for me!

lorilei
i think your assessment of life with insulin is not correct, especially with the newer insulins that are available - such as novolog/novorapid. i chose to use insulin. it makes life easier, NOT harder, for me. i almost never plan meals that much in advance and using insulin means that i can (if i want to) eat small amounts of things i was avoiding previously (such as corn on the cob).

i still avoid bread and potatoes and pasta - because a dose of mega-carbs means a dose of mega-insulin.

please do not view insulin as the "last resort". embrace it. it can really be your friend and make life so much easier.

:)

-- joel.

I agree with the above quoted master...Let me tell you..life on insulin let's me enjoy life in other ways..i HATED waiting for the pancreas to fully up and die...and there is some research to suggest that timely insulin regimine may help preserve the beta cells...and they do some things I never knew about...i am glad I relaxed about it...in the long run i found my first advnetures with insulin more fun than I thought! and I did not get as sick as I could have if I had waited...dka=no fun! to say the least!

btw welcome to the late blooming rejuvenated 1's...what position do you want to play on our team?

Jan B

Sweetblood,

I heard not long ago that sugar is like crack cocaine in it's addictive qualities. At the beginning, it will be very hard to ignore it, but if you get past those few days or weeks of avoiding sugar, it gets MUCH easier. Also, find substitutes for the sugary stuff you crave instead of just denying yourself anything (eat nuts, cheese for example). I promise it will get easier. But, I'm afraid we can all be like kids. Say no, and it makes us want it more! Keep coming here for encouragement. You CAN do it!

sweetblood

Actually my endo thinks I MAY be type 1.5 based on AB test and my thin build; but I am definatly diabetic, no question about it. I'm pretty sure based on my research that I am indeed in the early stages of type 1.5. I guess the reason I'm not "officially" dx t 1.5 is my antibody test came back a tad high; just out of normal range. It was not outright high. I'm just gonna monitor my sugar and if I see sustained highs then I will contact her immediatly. I suppose she's hesitant to put me on insulin also bc my sugar can sometimes peak hi then drop quick; I'm talking 100 pts in like 10 min or less; but that's getting less common. I did feel crappy most of today; just couldn't wake up until 2 pm and I had gotten up at 7am (after 8 hrs sleeping like a rock). BG was high too; even upon awakining (132 this am). I was horribly thirsty most of the day but didn't have chance to check sugar at work; my sugar has normalized as has the thirst. It was horrible; couldn't drink enuf, but I was not uerinating a lot at all. It was weird. Can that happen? (The polydipsia without polyuria). If so what does that mean. Should I have checked my sugar?? I had thought the thirst was from too much salt yesterday but now I'm not so sure bc I felt draggy also; just tired. Sorry for rambling. Hope my post makes sense LOL.

sweetblood

I guess I'm getting too thin; a coworker commented on my weight loss. And I see her several times a wk. I'm wondering if I should talk to endo about starting insulin (if it would benifit me) bc I do not need to lose any more weight! I'm consuming at least 150 grams carbs per day. What do you guys think?

sweetblood

Something that concerns me is evidently I have a little loss of sensation in my feet according to the tuning fork test. I'm thinking I sould REALLY push for getting on insulin (even a small dose) so I can prevent further damage. I've noticed also that my blood sugar control happens in fits and starts; great control then horrible control. There is really no discernible pattern to it which makes it frustrating. Is this lack of pattern in bg control typical in type 1.5? Can I regain whatever sensation I have lost in my feet? This has come a probem in the last six months. In January my sensation via tuning fork was equal AND normal. Now unequal AND decreased. Sorry for rambling; I'm posting as the thoughts come.

Subby

I've seen diabetics of all types talk about variable blood sugar issues, but in terms of a really noticeable swing from a period of good control, to a period of much worse control, I've seen the 1.5s talk about that the most. So my post is not exactly solid stuff, but to me the way you put it is very reminiscent of how some T1.5s talk about their control, and it becomes really clear when a certain level of insulin works one week, then a few weeks later is much too much for them, then it changes again or switches back. If you dig around in the 1.5 forum you may find people talking about it direct from the horses mouth.

sweetblood

Yeah, that's my concern with the whole "insulin therapy" at this point. I guess that's where diligently testing blood sugar comes into play. I'm gonna hafta research some about that issue re type 1.5 fluctuation in control etc. I'm just wondering if I should even bother consulting endo at this point in time about starting insulin. I'm also wondering if I should get antibodies tested again to see if I have progressed. I had them done october last year. Should I ask her or should I just wait and see how my control is? Any type 1.5 s feel free to give yur input; it will be greatly appreciated. :)

Subby

I"m not 1.5, but just on the diligently testing BG - if you are talking intensive therapy, as in bolusing for meals as well as taking basal in the background, diligent testing just comes with the territory. You are likely to need to diligently test each day say 4-8 times, regardless of being 1 or 1.5. So I'm just pointing out - that comes with insulin use in general. The question would be, if things change from week to week or month to month, whether diligent testing is enough. I can't answer that question. Hopefully you get some good feedback from 1.5s in that scenario. In the end it will be a judgement call. Discussing options and approaches with a (good) endo might also be a good idea.

sweetblood
I"m not 1.5, but just on the diligently testing BG - if you are talking intensive therapy, as in bolusing for meals as well as taking basal in the background, diligent testing just comes with the territory. You are likely to need to diligently test each day say 4-8 times, regardless of being 1 or 1.5. So I'm just pointing out - that comes with insulin use in general. The question would be, if things change from week to week or month to month, whether diligent testing is enough. I can't answer that question. Hopefully you get some good feedback from 1.5s in that scenario. In the end it will be a judgement call. Discussing options and approaches with a (good) endo might also be a good idea.
. Yeah, that's what I was

Yeah that's what I meant to say; I just fuddled up my post. LOL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.