Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetblood

now considered a 1.5

groovydb

I started on 14 units. I felt so-so today, kinda shaky feeling all day. Maybe it was nerves. Some insulin came back out of my injection hole after I pulled out the needle last night. The site also burned for a little bit after the shot. Am I doing it wrong? Is that normal?

dbc
I started on 14 units. I felt so-so today, kinda shaky feeling all day. Maybe it was nerves. Some insulin came back out of my injection hole after I pulled out the needle last night. The site also burned for a little bit after the shot. Am I doing it wrong? Is that normal?

It's quite normal to have some leakage from insulin pen shots - try holding the needle in 10+ seconds and withdrawing slowly, I find that reduces the leakage a lot. The burn sensation is not that common, but it does happen - for me maybe 1 shot in 20 will sting a bit. Have no idea why, but it never been a big issue for me.

sweetblood

I will probably get results the end of this week or monday at the latest. I'm having really good blood sugars the majority if the time now (for the last week and a half to 2 wks. I thought I read somewhere that type 1.5 happens in "fits. And starts". Great blood sugars then they go crazy up and down. Is that true or did I misread? Just curious.

sweetblood

My endo tested the wrong thing so I had blood redrawn today. I made sure she ordered the right test this time. It will be another week or so before I hear anything. I'm glad I got everything straight this time. I will let you guys know when I get the results.

Funnygrl
Is the B12 supplementation due to deficiency, or your choice?

B12 malabsorption "goes with" LADA and hypothyroidism, FYI. And boy did I have to dig in the literature to find that.

Really? I've never heard that. I was just dx'ed as B12 deficient and put on supplements (2000 mcg/day). I figured it was more related to my GI issues, and somewhat to my near-vegetarian diet, though.

sweetblood

Good news and bad news. Good news is my GAD is negative! Bad news is still no word on the islet cell AB test yet. Its now been a week last friday. They were not in friday, I "cheated" and got a copy of the results cause I can get them when they come in even before the doc calls me. This waiting is KILLING me! I cannot stand waiting. But here I am... Waiting. I will update you guys when I get the news (good or bad). Keep yur fingers crossed!

foxl

Yes, anti-parietal cell - antibodies are the culprit in pernicious anemia! I foiund a few articles on it.

But yes, if you have GI issues that destroy parietal cells, that, too can deplete intrinsic factor.

sweetblood

Yeah, I know. Now if the other two come back negative then ill feel even better. Maybe last yrs test was a fluke I'm REALLY hoping that's the case.

sweetblood

Ok yall this is really strange... I got my results finally. My islet cell IgG autoantibodies are flagged once again but guess what? The value is identical to a year ago. My islet cell AB was once again negative as it was last yr . Big sigh of relief on that one! Soooo, maybe I have an undiscovered type like 1.75? Heck if I know. I cannot wait to talk to my endo about this! I just don't know how else to explain this. Or maybe I'm NUTS! LOL. :) I will let u know what she says when I do speak with her.

sweetblood

Evidently I'm in the preclinical stage of type 1 according to my research. That's probably why my other Antibodies aren't showing up yet. I do recall my endo saying I was most probably an early type one ie preclinical; she just used different terminology. And that's why she stated to follow a healthy lower carb diet bc I don't have a lot of "reserves left" in my pancreas. I did read that in the preclinical stage u can have normal insulin sensitivity. That is you respond apprropriately to your own insulin. And acquiring a viral infection could speed up the destruction of yur beta cells, hence hastening onset of overt (outright) diabetes. I will clarify this w my endo when I talk to her to be sure I understand correctly. Later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.