Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momof3

new medication added

momof3

Well, had my first follow up with Endo today. He is adding 2mg of Glimeperide (already take 1000mg of Metformin twice daily). Anyone else taking it? I hate adding another medication but I know my numbers need to come down.

He said he thought I may have to go on long acting insulin if this combination does not work for me. He asked about whether or not we had done GAD65 testing (I had positive GAD65 and IA2 autoantibodies in a JDRF study several years ago) and I told him that I had that done in the study.....he started talking about the fact that I will likely go on insulin and that I probably have a bit of Type 1 and Type 2.....He really seemed to be looking at all angles.

Although my Cholesterol screen was good, he said he still thought I should go on a statin eventually. He did not want to add too much at one time. He said the studies showed decreased cardiovascular disease on statin (with diabetics) even if Cholesterol is good. Anyone else told this?

One more question - what home BP devices do you recommend? My BP always is high in the doctors office.

jwags

I am in the same boat, only on metformin but numbers are creeping up way too high. I think i will need to add another drug. My doc did put me on a statin last year even though my LDL and Trigs are under 100 and HDL is almost 90. I did it for a year and just recently stopped taking it on my own because of terrible muscle pains ( a side effect). I'm not sure what evidence there is that if you have good cholesterol that a statin will help you in the future. From what I read the importance is the size of the cholesterol. You want the large fluffy kind as opposed to the small dense kind that causes heart disease. As far as a BP machine. I picked one up at Costco for about $50. It is made by OMRON. It is very easy to use and goes on the upper arm. You can get the wrist monitors but my doctor says they are not as accurate. I have the same problem with the "white coat syndrome". BP is always high in the office.

jtausch

If you have to go on long acting insulin don,t worry about it. I started insulin only six months after being diagnosed and my blood A1c went from a 7.3 on metformin to a 5.5 being on insulin alone. I take a long acting(basel) and rapid acting (bolus) insulin's. Using needles is not a big deal, they hurt less than the finger pricks

momof3

I hear you...I am not worried at all about the injections. If my daughter can do it, so can I :) I do hate the finger sticks!

My now teenage daughter told me, " Well, you always said if you could have my diabetes, you would." - as she smiles.

momof3

While waiting for mail order of my new medication (Glimeperide) my numbers are very high yesterday and today. Fasting morning today 199 (230 yesterday), stayed above 200 all day until evening when it was 153....eating no carbs for dinner. Now before lunch still over 200! I really hate the way I feel when numbers are high.

RobinP

I take both Metformin and Glimeperide. Never had really good results with them, so was started on Lantus in January. It helps but I need to get on the ball and do my part. My diet sucks. :thumpdown

momof3

So,Robin, is the Lantus helping your numbers? How do you like being on the Lantus?

I had a follow up with regular doc for frozen shoulder at 5pm today and he decided to check a Basic Metabolic Panel (to check kidneys since I have been taking tons of Ibuprofen). I just looked on my online chart and all was normal AND my glucose (not fasting) was oddly enough 95!!! I was not feeling well and was shaky and pulse rate was 113 in the office. I just took my blood sugar (2 hrs post dinner and metformin) and was over 250. I have never has a reading under 100 at home. Now, I wonder if I was feeling that in the office because my blood sugar was lower than it has been for awhile although not considered "low"???? Very Strange. I did recheck on another meter and the numbers here at home were similar.

aggie168
He is adding 2mg of Glimeperide (already take 1000mg of Metformin twice daily). Anyone else taking it?

Although my Cholesterol screen was good, he said he still thought I should go on a statin eventually.

One more question - what home BP devices do you recommend? My BP always is high in the doctors office.

Hello momof3,

Glimeperide is to "excite" your pancreas to produce more insulin. Therefore lower your BG, if that does not work out, your only "relistic" option is to go on insulin. That is my personal opinion. It is another tool and do not look at it in a negative way. Personally, going on insulin ONLY (9 months ago) instead of pills is the best thing for me in years. I get to dump over half a dozen of oral medication. My a1c went from 8 to 6. My lipid profile is back to normal range. :)

Beside cholesterol reason, I take Lipitor (statin) and Aspirin 81mg to protect my heart. That is fairly common practice amount doctor. After years of high lipid numbers, they are finally going back to normal range. I was so happy and ask my doctor if I can remove the last cholesterol medication. Both my PCP and Endo do not recommond me stopping them.

Next, I do not have HBP, but I am taking a pill for it. It is for the side benefit of kidney protection.

Finally, diabetes is a personal "situation". Everyone's need and treatment is different. So hang in there and always face forward. ;)

RobinP
So,Robin, is the Lantus helping your numbers? How do you like being on the Lantus?

It helps my morning numbers, if I don't ruin things by munching at night. As for daytime numbers, not so much. I really think I need fast acting insulin with my meals. The orals hardly make a dent.

SB_Krista

Although my Cholesterol screen was good, he said he still thought I should go on a statin eventually. He did not want to add too much at one time. He said the studies showed decreased cardiovascular disease on statin (with diabetics) even if Cholesterol is good. Anyone else told this?

I also was told this by my Endo and went on 10 mg of simvastatin for borderline Cholesterol numbers as a 'diabetic'. Since taking the simvastatin, my numbers are much more ideal. Now, whether this helps decrease the increased risk of an acute heart attack as a diabetic, who knows....I'm not convinced that lowering cholesterol levels is the end-all.

aiah23

It sounds like, momof3, that your blood sugars are coming down to a normal range but since they've been routinely high, it feels like a low blood sugar to you. My husband recently experienced this with the addition of Glimeperide. Testing his blood sugar made him realize he wasn't low. I think stress tends to keep blood sugars higher too and it sounds like you've had some lately.

I monitor my blood pressure daily since I'm on a new medication and my blood pressure is usually the 120/80 range (if it drops too much, 100/60 I have to skip medication so that's why I test daily). I just bought the cheapest one at Walmart, it was $11 plus tax and that is consistent with the levels I see at the END of the doctor appointments (they're routinely higher at the beginning b/c of stress in trying to get to appt on time).

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.