Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ty L

Afraid & Praying for a response.

Ty L

Ok, I have signed up for Health insurance AND scheduled an appointment with our local free clinic. The Insurance does not kick in until the first of next month. The clinic will be calling me back to confirm an appointment and it should be within 1 day. I am worried that they will diagnose me with Diabetes tomorrow and Health Alliance will deny me. Anything I can or should do?

princesslinda

That's an understandable worry. You need to see if they have a "pre-existing condition" clause. If they do, and you have a diagnosis of diabetes before your policy kicks in, payment for diabetes related things might not be covered or may have a length of time before they'll be covered.

Do they require a physical? If so, they'll likely find you have diabetes based on blood work alone. Usually when you apply, you'll have to give them a run down of your medical history.

If you are changing coverage and still have it with one company right now, don't let your coverage lapse before your new coverage kicks in, or pre-existing conditions may be excluded.

Ty L

I just got back from our free clinic. The Doc there was awesome. He said Diabetes is not a death sentence but not acting is. Since losing my job I have gained 50 pounds. Which is shocking to me. My blood sugar was in the 260's before I went and was 290 when they tested. My blood pressure was also high. I have to go for more labs tomorrow morning but they prescribed Metformin & Lisinipril for now and I will go back in 2 months to see how everything is going. The doc was worried because according to him people with untreated diabetes tend to be dehydrated and when they rehydrate it can raise there blood pressure. I am waiting for Walmart to call and tell me the Meds are ready but I am a little anxious about taking them.

I feel much better now that I have went but one thing was VERY embarrassing. The nurse is an old friend ours and she saw my skyrocketed weight and the sad shape I was in. I feel so ridiculous for letting this happen. She was cool about it and I was happy to see her but not under these circumstances. Maybe the embarrassment will motivate me although I am already VERY determined.

Also if anyone is interested. This is the doc I have chosen for my primary care. I have never seen a little video like this before have any of you?

Ty L

P.S. The doc also said I should be off the blood pressure meds within months but with my family history he doubts I will get of the Diabetes meds. He wants me to lose 50 pounds by Christmas. (WHICH I WILL) And gave his number to my girlfriend and said if I dont do what I am supposed to to call him and he will come shoot me!!! I couldn't believe it. I really like that Doc.

Mussakka

Sounds like a good doc and a good call on your part in seeing him. If you've never taken any before, be aware that some BP meds can make you a little dizzy at first, especially if you get up a little fast. If the doc didn't advise to take it at bedtime, that might be a good idea.

Metformin is notorious for causing, erm, urgent bowel movements for lack of a better term. You might not have any trouble, but many folks have "issues" for a couple of weeks before the body adjusts. It's also common for high carb, high fat meals to promote "met moments" as well.

Anyway, extra trips to the bathroom for few weeks are a small price to pay for getting your BGs under control. Diabetes screws up so many things in the body, it's really important to manage it the best you can. Sounds like you're off to a good start and have a good attitude, so just keep plugging at it.

matingara

well done!

i have heard tell that it can take several days/weeks for metformin to start working. so PLEASE don't get discouraged.

stay with the low carb approach and wait til you see those BGL numbers come doiwn. you might also see some good weight loss!

:)

princesslinda

So glad you got in to see the doctor, and he certainly sounds like a keeper!

I'd suggest you take your metformin just before you eat, so it's not going to sit on an empty stomach. Also, avoid greasy foods, as they can trigger some of the gastric issues. Metformin works best if you add a lower carb diet and regular exercise with it. It can take a few weeks to see results, but if you immediately start with the necessary lifestyle changes, you should see improvement in your blood sugar and how you feel.

When your blood sugar has been higher than it should be, your body feels this is normal, and when it starts to go back to more normal levels, you may feel "shaky" like you're going low. This is normal, and should resolve as your body gets use to the more normal levels.

Keep your meter handy at all times, and do test often.

Congratulations on getting to the doctor and getting started on controlling your diabetes. Post often and let us know how you're doing.

jwags

I'm glad you got to see a doctor. How much metformin did he give you. They usually start you out with a minimum amount and will have you raise it in a few weeks. I had to raise mine to 2550 before I saw a real difference. As far as Insurance, we have a high deductible. It is $6000 a year, so $1000 is pretty good. When we hit 6000 we then pay 20% until 10,000 then everything is paid for. For that great insurance we pay almost $1000 a month. We are self employed and both almost 60. Your rates seem very cheap. I would grab them up. Also the way the deductible works is that until you meet the deductible you do pay all out of pocket expenses from doctor visits, labs or prescriptions. Once you meet that deductible they start paying. You also get the negoiated insurance rate for a doctors visit which is usually a lot cheaper. For example my doctor charges $150 for a visit. But the insurance rate is $69 , so that is what I pay. We have never met our deductible as long as we have had HSA insurance.

Jan B

Congratulations! You are on the road to better health :)

A good doctor makes all this so much easier, and I'm so happy you found someone good right away.

ramon
I just did my before bed check and it is now 254. Kinda disappointing. I went from 430 to 280 in a few hours but then this past few hours I only drop from 280 to 254. Kinda dejecting. (At least its not up) I dont know what it is but I have a terrible stomach ache. I am curious how much it typically drops overnight? If I get up tomorrow and it is still high I guess I will have some cheesy eggs and otherwise...Ahh I will just eat the eggs. Is there any Orange Juice sub that you guys know of?

Walmart has a orange Great Value orange and cranberry juice that I know you will love and its cheap. Turky bacon or real bacon, pork chop or steak and eggs for breakfast will do. No need to suffer, enjoy your life just cut out on carbs.

Ty L

Ok, today has been frustrating until I took my blood sugar. I had to get my labs done today so I could not eat anything after dinner last night. However I forgot about some other errands I had to run so I was not able to get into the hospital until about 1PM. After we got all that done I finally ate some loose meat hamburger with cheese. I got home not long ago and tested my sugar. It is 225! I know thats still up there but I am happy to see it drop. Espically since the other frustrating thing is that I STILL have not been able to take any meds since I cant take em on an empty stomach. Also the doc said to try and start them in the morning since I am taking them twice a day that way I dont break up a day. He must not have realized I was gonna get the labs done right away. They are doing this A1c test or something that will show my last six months of blood sugar levels. I will post the results. Although it has postponed me getting any metformin I am glad I got them done. I am considering just taking them tonight to get em in me. Any thoughts on that?

Also where do you guys stick yourself? I have decided not to use my fingers any more. I play guitar, video games and type and write a lot so I dont want sore fingers. I have started using the part of my palm that moves with your thumb. (the fat part) seems to work pretty well and its still easy to get the blood on the test strip. Any downsides to this?

Once again I want to thank everyone. Posting on this forum and interacting with other diabetics puts my mind in the right place. You guys are great.

GrammaBear

Ty L,

I am relieved to read that you are taking some very positive steps towards managing your diabetes. 500 mg of Metformin is a average starting dose. I found that for me it helps to take the met with food or milk. Taking it on an empty stomach can really aggravate the side effects, if you are bothered with that.

Getting your blood sugar readings down takes time. Try not to become impatient with yourself. You didn't get high numbers overnight and they will not go away overnight either. In the future it may help you to make 'lab appointments' for first thing in the morning. Somehow it doesn't seem quite so bad to go without food all night while you're sleeping as opposed to going w/o breakfast and lunch for an afternoon lab appt.

This group of people is a great forum and a super place to gain information. In regard to testing your blood glucose on the fat part of your thumb - be sure and rotate the places on your thumb where you poke yourself. Hopefully you will have less scar tissue form that way. Best wishes to you, come back often. We can learn together.

Bountyman
I had to get my labs done today so I could not eat anything after dinner last night. (snip) Also the doc said to try and start them in the morning since I am taking them twice a day that way I dont break up a day. He must not have realized I was gonna get the labs done right away. They are doing this A1c test or something that will show my last six months of blood sugar levels.

If all you had done was an HbA1c test...fasting is not necessary. And blood cells won't live past 90-120 days. If you gleaned that information off of the internet it's wrong. If your doctor told you your HbA1c test would show you what your blood sugars were doing for the last 6 months...get another doctor that's more informed.

Also where do you guys stick yourself? I have decided not to use my fingers any more. I play guitar, video games and type and write a lot so I dont want sore fingers. I have started using the part of my palm that moves with your thumb. (the fat part) seems to work pretty well and its still easy to get the blood on the test strip. Any downsides to this?

No, no downsides that I've ever heard of. As to sore fingers, most of us use the sides of our fingers, never the pads, especially the pads at the tips where you press down the guitar strings. And anyone I've ever read here that did have sore fingers were those that were a Type 1 testing more than 10 times a day. You don't test that much, do you?

Ty L

Bountyman,

I have been testing myself 3 times a day. I find it hard to believe but someone told me there are testers that you dont have to poke your self to use? Seems like wishful thinking to me. My sister was tested for Diabetes A while back and told me about the HbA1c test. Apparently she was a little misinformed. I am getting the real scoop from K right now. (My Girlfriend) They are testing a bunch of stuff other then sugar levels. I keep hearing about something called Lipiods?

Bountyman
I have been testing myself 3 times a day. I find it hard to believe but someone told me there are testers that you dont have to poke yourself to use? Seems like wishful thinking to me.

Three times a day won't tear your fingers up at all. Playing a guitar builds up more callouses than blood testing will by probably 25 fold. As to getting a relevant blood sample without being invasive...not yet. You might have seen diabetes-related supplier commercials on TV where the person says, "...and you don't have to prick your fingers anymore!" They're referring to those little clear plastic thingumajigs that come with a testing kit that offer alternative testing sites, like your arm. I tried 'em, Didn't work for me...just made a bunch of wannabe holes in my arm.

They are testing a bunch of stuff other then sugar levels. I keep hearing about something called Lipiods?

That'd be a the Lipid Chempanel test. Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Hdl Cholesterol, LDLC. Shows you how much other things are f@#ked up in your body besides your pancreas. Post the results here...we'll have a low-cholesterol party to celebtate if they're good numbers. :D

VeeJay
...where do you guys stick yourself? I have decided not to use my fingers any more. I play guitar, video games and type and write a lot so I dont want sore fingers. I have started using the part of my palm that moves with your thumb. (the fat part) seems to work pretty well and its still easy to get the blood on the test strip. Any downsides to this?

I am fairly new to diabetes (since May) and have been reading in this forum now for a couple weeks. I found the discussion in this thread to be interesting as to where people do the stick and the setting, etc. http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/54747-testing-easier-right-hand.html

Ty L

I just read that the FDA suggests 70 G's of carbs for those trying to lose weight and as much as 230 G's for those already at a healthy weight. This is my question. AFTER I get my sugar levels down and I am regularly working out and my meds have taken effect how many carbs will I be able to eat? Or maybe a better question is how can I calculate how many carbs I can safely eat? I know that as a diabetic I could probably never eat the maximum 230 with out becoming pill dependant which is something I want to avoid. How many carbs do you guys typically take in?

Ty L

Veejay,

Thanks this has been interesting so far. Even though I play Guitar like the guy in that thread I could never endure a 6. OUCH. I am at a 3 right now.

Bountyman
I just read that the FDA suggests 70 G's of carbs for those trying to lose weight and as much as 230 G's for those already at a healthy weight. This is my question. AFTER I get my sugar levels down and I am regularly working out and my meds have taken effect how many carbs will I be able to eat? Or maybe a better question is how can I calculate how many carbs I can safely eat? I know that as a diabetic I could probably never eat the maximum 230 with out becoming pill dependant which is something I want to avoid. How many carbs do you guys typically take in?

For me, personally I don't eat any more carb's in one meal than will drive me over 140 mg/dL at one hour. For me, that limit seems to be 40 carb's in any meal. That formula also comes with a variable balance which has to do with what goes along with the carb's in that meal. If there's anything in the meal that slows the carb' absorption down I'm that much ahead of the game. But if I eat a candy bar that has let's say 35 carb's, of which 32 are sugar...then I'm going to spike over 140 mg/dL somewhere around a half hour. Not the thing to do.

All total, at 4 meals a day, I'm somewhere around 130-140 grams of carb's a day...and not gaining any weight, but not loosing any, either. You'll have to dick around with your meals, use your meter and your bathroom scale to find your sweet spot.

Mussakka

There's no easy answer to this since we can only give your our personal goals. We're all different and carbs affect each of us in different ways. Some folks can eat more of them than others with no trouble, whereas others can practically look at them and have their blood sugar shoot up. Once you get your BG down to normal levels, you can start using your glucose meter to determine what works for you and what doesn't ("eating to your meter").

I don't really count carbs, but rather try to remain carb aware so I have a rough idea of my input. I also only eat carbs that have nutritional benefit. As such, I seldom exceed 80g or so a day, but that's a lot compared to some here. I actually tried younger Yukon Gold potatoes last night and was pleased to find they didn't cause a spike. Woot! They won't be an everyday food, but it's nice to know I can still have them on occasion.

matingara
I just read that the FDA suggests 70 G's of carbs for those trying to lose weight and as much as 230 G's for those already at a healthy weight

230 grams of carbohydrate per week is a reasonable amount in my opinion.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.