Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC1117

Diabetes and Herpes

Recommended Posts

NYC1117

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have a pressing concern. I have been getting involved with a woman and I just found out that she has genital herpes. Obviously, I'm concerned and I'd like to know how this will affect my health if our relationship becomes more intimate. I have been diabetic for 17 years and I'm in pretty good control most of the time. Many thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeusXM

I'm not sure what impact it would have on your BG management. I would say though then this requires some degree of caution on your part anyway. AFAIK herpes is incurable and if you choose to have an intimate relationship with this woman, even with precautions it is possible you could also catch the disease. As you can imagine, if the relationship doesn't last, this might then create difficulties in establishing new relationships.

 

While it is a fantastic sign that she has told you before taking the relationship further, I would be less concerned about the specific impact herpes might have on your diabetes and more concerned about the overall impact it may have on your health, your future wellbeing - and also (and I know this probably isn't on your radar at the moment) whether it might affect any potential children you may have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Schmik
Hidden

Hi,

For everyone iF our blood sugars are not well-controlled. Bacteria love a sweet environment and uncontrolled diabetes provides that.Diabetes is a chronic disease and thus it takes some "marathon" type skills to manage it well and to enjoy a full rich life. If I'm not mistaken, there are no cures for genital herpes either, and so a person with both conditions is asked to be vigilant about many things.

 

Online pharmacy

Share this post


Link to post
PinkRose

I'm sorry but who in their right mind would want to contract genital herpes??? It's incurable, permanent, often extremely painful & debilitating during outbreaks & would no doubt whatsoever compromise your overall health. Sounds to me like you need to educate yourself more on this STI.

 

If it was me, I wouldn't want to infect anyone with it, much less a person with an already compromised immune system.

 

I'm sorry if this is not an opinion that sounds palatable, but I very strongly believe that diabetes is more than enough to have on your plate without acquiring another chronic disease.

 

No relationship is worth sacrificing your health over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaughSing

Being diabetic probably doesn't have any relevance either way.

 

If you manage to protect yourself from it successfully, it won't have any impact on your health at all, and if she's taking daily valacyclovir AND you're using condoms EVERY SINGLE TIME, you're reasonably safe (but NOT 100% safe).

 

If you do catch it... it's not deadly, it's just unpleasant, and permanent. And a MAJOR hindrance to starting future relationships, if this one turns out not to be permanent.

 

You might want to have a chat with someone at Planned Parenthood and decide if it's a risk you want to take.

 

If you do decide to take the risk, please be sure to have condoms around ALL THE TIME and use them EVERY SINGLE TIME. Don't ever run out. Even if she's not having an outbreak, it is possible to spread the virus, some people are "shedders", and you don't know who's who until it's too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barberian

I suggest doing an image search on herpes, then decide if u are willing to take a chance on that happening to you several times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
richellemedina
Hidden

In this case, it is clear that researchers will probably try to test other people worldwide who may have high rates of this type of diabetes to see if they also have significant presence in the securities or the blood of HHV -8. I think that most research focuses on viruses, the more we'll probably see them as causes or links to other diseases and conditions.

 

translation companies

Share this post


Link to post
lady h

Hi everyone. I have a unique situation. I have type 2 Herpes. I met a new friend who is a diabetic. I forewarned him of my condition before we became intimate. I informed him that unprotected sex was a bad idea and why. But with no reference to his diabetes. To make a long story short, he insisted on unprotected sex and of course contracted the virus. I didn't even have an outbreak at the time. I went to my primary care physician to confirm that. Now that he has just found out the horrible news he is scared to death. I am wondering if anybody has any info or experience on the diabetes variation of genital herpes. We plan to marry and maintain a permanent relationship. I just want to know if there is anything i can do diet or otherwise to help us. The first year is the worst..I have no idea what all is involved with diabetes so I thank all of you in advance for your support and recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lady h

Hello Mr. Moderator,

I got to tell ya..Herpes is no walk in the park. It is painful, stress causes more outbreaks,if you wear jeans or underwear you will be most uncomfortable. For woman there is an odor as well. Non curable..They have meds like valtrex but the truth is you are better off saving your med money for a beer or something that will easy your pain. I contracted it from a cheating boyfriend at 16 years old. Your self esteem falls through the floor. You go through different phases of self hate and self doubt. God forbid your little secret gets out. Also, if you go down on each other you can get sores in your mouth. Doesn't look very sexy, not exactly a kissers turn on either. Can you imagine eating something spicy with an open lesion in your mouth or around your lips. Then everybody will know your business.

 

You don't want herpes anymore than i want diabetes. Hug her tell her thank you for preserving your quality of life. Another thnk you get pregnant, you may sentence that unborn child to an undeserving future..Do be gentle when you tell her your decision...Can you imagine having to tell every girl you meet from contraction date on that you have herpes. Everybody is not mature to keep your business private..I don't mean to be long winded but DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PINK

My first thought was when I saw this article was: Pain or stress might go up for people who have herpes which might make the BGS go up.

STD Facts - Genital Herpes

 

So then I was wondering... How many people have herpes? Adult women: 1 in 5, adult men: 1 in 9.

It is much more common than I thought before I read the article and easier to transmit from a man to a woman than a woman to a man.

Or...Do men just get into more women? : )

It said that the blisters and pain lessen with time.

 

OK-- This is really scary!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~What are the complications of genital herpes?

Genital herpes can cause recurrent painful genital sores in many adults, and herpes infection can be severe in people with suppressed immune systems. Regardless of severity of symptoms, genital herpes frequently causes psychological distress in people who know they are infected.

In addition, genital HSV can lead to potentially fatal infections in babies. It is important that women avoid contracting herpes during pregnancy because a newly acquired infection during late pregnancy poses a greater risk of transmission to the baby. If a woman has active genital herpes at delivery, a cesarean delivery is usually performed. Fortunately, infection of a baby from a woman with herpes infection is rare.

Herpes may play a role in the spread of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Herpes can make people more susceptible to HIV infection, and it can make HIV-infected individuals more infectious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was an eye-opening article which makes me think of keeping my legs closed.

;)

 

Pink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PinkRose

I just hope that the OP hasn't got himself infected by now. It would be simply tragic to have 'love' do that to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cormac_Doyle

Talking about herpes ... cold sores are also caused by herpes ... but genital herpes and cold-sore herpes are slightly gidderent varieties.

 

what is very interesting is the pronounced rise in people with cold-sores caused by genital herpes. (herpes is spread by direct contact ... I'll leave the conclusion to your imagination)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandradavis359
Hidden

Herpes is caused by a virus and has nothing to do with diabetes, except that diabetes makes you prone to all infections of all sorts. Not everyone exposed to the virus actually gets the infection but a diabetic has more chance to get the infection easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Thundergod

I am a Type 1 diabetic and contracted genital herpes from a woman with whom I was in a long-time monogamous relationship. No infidelity, she knew she had it and she knew I was diabetic and decided not to tell me about her having herpes. Obviously, this led to problems and ultimately we broke up. I had my first break out 8 years ago and none since. Even in times when my blood sugars were bad due to illness, no outbreak.

 

To date, the herpes has not affected my blood sugar levels at any time. The illnesses were seasonal colds and flu.

 

During the initial outbreak my doctor instructed me to make sure to keep the lesions clean and gave me a prescription for a topical agent. I apologize, that I do not remember the name of the medication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bdelatte

I think people are being a little harsh. I have a friend very close to me who has both diabetes and herpres. She got it from a boyfriend who didn't know he had it at the time either. She said the initial breakout was awful but once she found out what it was and got on the proper medication she has no issues with it and it does not affect her blood sugar levels. She said the hardest part of it is mental. She is lucky that she married the person she got it from so she doesnt have to worry about what some would have to worry about when starting a new relationship, having to tell that person.That would suck! but I do think its more common than people are aware of these days. As far as the initial question in the forum. Def be safe. If this person is really special to you and u think its going to be a lasting relationship and you become intimate, use condoms every time. Its still a risk but thats your decision to make.People shouldnt get the chance at love b/c they have something like this. Dont discriminate but def be safe and research it.Just b/c your g/f has this doesnt make her a "nasty" or "dirty" person. Give people a break here. Diabetics that are type 2 hate it when people discriminate against them by saying rude untrue things like "you did this to yourself you deserve this" so probably shouldnt treat people with std's the same way like they did it to themselves and deserve to not have relationships. Be kind to other! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mSwed
I suggest doing an image search on herpes, then decide if u are willing to take a chance on that happening to you several times a year.

 

Okay I have herpes simplex 2,and those pictures are only the 1st breakout,the rest are very minimum,which is what pisses me off. With taking suppression therapy drugs it can decrease the transfer by 94% and plus women who are not on the drugs already have a 5% chance of passing it. Taking valtrex daily and using condoms responsibly can reduce the chances down to about 2 to 1%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mSwed

There are safe ways of having children when a woman is infected with herpes. 1st she will have to be on special drugs. And another way of doing it is if she has a c section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mSwed
I just hope that the OP hasn't got himself infected by now. It would be simply tragic to have 'love' do that to you.

 

Im sorry but this post has made my blood boil. I have herpes simplex 2 and I am dating someone who has type 1 diabetes,we have not had sex yet because its still something we are both unsure of. But people who have herpes can still have a normal life!!! I take suppression drugs daily which decreases my chances of passing it down to 1%. Women without the drugs have a 5% chance of passing it. Suppression therapy decreases the chances by 94%. I was in a previous relationship with someone who did not care to be honest with me about having herpes. I made the mistake by not making him wear a condom as the relationship got serious. But my life is not tragic, it is inconvenient but manageable. We are not death sentences. People need to be more aware of that. But I do also understand it would be alot harder for someone who has diabetes. But most people I come in contact with dont know most of the facts on herpes. This is not to offend you,just some facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moneymeister

I used to work in a clinic at a college, so know some stats about this topic. About 20-25% of sexually active adults have it. Most don't know it because it doesnt have symptoms in most people. They don't test for it because it is not harmful...just embarrassing and painful. If you want to be tested, you really can't be because the tests are pretty inaccurate unless you have a lesion. Most people don't have lesions. Not saying you should not weigh sex and std's (be careful!) but herpes is about as exciting as cold sores...which they are. Eventually the body builds immunity and becomes dormant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrnEyes84

I also have hsv2 and love a very normal life with no problems at all. I have only had one outbreak and that was when I first found out I had it. The outbreaks are different with everyone. Some people get them more often and some people only have one there entire life. I wasn't sure that I had it so I was rechecked turns out that I do have it. I am dating someone and was honest with them about it and he doesn't care. When you love someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them, then it winter matter or be a concern to that person but that is my opinion and what I have realized. Having this has not affected my type 1 diabetes at all and utility didn't when I first got it either. I have never had any problems with it affecting that! I live a happy and healthy life even with having this!

 

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bountyman
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have a pressing concern. I have been getting involved with a woman and I just found out that she has genital herpes. Obviously, I'm concerned and I'd like to know how this will affect my health if our relationship becomes more intimate. I have been diabetic for 17 years and I'm in pretty good control most of the time. Many thanks in advance.

 

Actually, diabetes or no, genital herpes is kind of a deal breaker in my book. Kudos to her for telling you...but in my opinion...there are 7 billion people on the planet, half of them women, be smart and move on. You'll thank yourself in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rubidoux

I find a lot of the comments in this thread to be fairly shocking and cruel. It makes me wonder, if we all knew exactly what all the possibilities and implications of having diabetes and herpes were, wouldn't we all trade it in in a second. I mean, let's say hypothetically that my husband could decide now to trade my diabetes in for *both* of us having herpes? It would be a no brainer. I have no doubt that he'd be happier having a life partner with herpes, even if that meant that he'd get it, than one with diabetes. Nobody has to watch their partner die a drawn-out painful death from herpes. I very much doubt that herpes affects anyone's every moment the way diabetes does (if so, that would be a very rare case). I feel like if one of these conditions should be a deal-breaker, it should be diabetes, but I doubt we'd be counseling someone to reject a potential partner on that basis.

 

For those of you who have both, big hugs to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.