Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC1117

Diabetes and Herpes

GrnEyes84

I agree with you! I have been rejected several times by men because of my diabetes and medical complications from the diabetes and not taking care of myself for so long. Luckily I finally found a man that is willing to accept me with all the medical issues that I have and he accepts me even with having hsv2. I'm a lucky woman in that sense!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

rubidoux
I agree with you! I have been rejected several times by men because of my diabetes and medical complications from the diabetes and not taking care of myself for so long. Luckily I finally found a man that is willing to accept me with all the medical issues that I have and he accepts me even with having hsv2. I'm a lucky woman in that sense!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

I think we're all lucky to find someone to put up with all of our various issues, whether they are medical or otherwise. Nobody is without their quirks!

Cyclesafe

Chicken pox, a relatively mild sickness when child, eventually results in very painful and debilitating shingles when an adult. Herpes, a moderate concern when contracted, becomes less and less of a worry as the years pass, until there are no symptoms whatsoever. The difference is how they are contracted - with the stigma and obligation of timely disclosure for the latter.

Of course, I'd rather not contract either disease. But the likelyhood of infection, by itself, would not prevent me from marrying someone with herpes. If all the other factors were in place, why on earth would I toss that away to avoid something that in the scheme of things is trivial?

Bountyman
But the likelyhood of infection, by itself, would not prevent me from marrying someone with herpes. If all the other factors were in place, why on earth would I toss that away to avoid something that in the scheme of things is trivial?

The possibility exists that a mother with herpes can pass that onto her child during birth. If that child contracts herpes she'll have to, at some point, explain to her child how that happened...along with her definition of "trivial". JMO

Cyclesafe
The possibility exists that a mother with herpes can pass that onto her child during birth. If that child contracts herpes she'll have to, at some point, explain to her child how that happened...along with her definition of "trivial". JMO

But people pass undesirable stuff on to their progeny all the time. As the child's alternative to not being exposed is to not have been born, this conversation might go down better than one might first think. But I certainly grant that calling herpes "trivial" might be unwisely downplaying the disease (maybe depending on whether you have it or not), and in no manner detracts from the moral, ethical, and often legal obligation for (pre-exposure) full and complete dis-closure. Of course, the child would have no choice in the matter......

Bountyman
But people pass undesirable stuff on to their progeny all the time.

I think, in this case, there's a caveat to that. The couple we're talking about here have no children. The female has herpes, the male doesn't. So, the female has no choice in the matter...her children, should she decide to have any, can contract herpes when they're born. NYC1117 has a choice. I understand we've gotten away from the OP's concerns about his own health, also a choice, but personally I thought that whilst still on the "partner selection" platform...one might consider all the ramifications, especially that of passing this on to one who gets no vote.

rubidoux

Is it really true that a mother who has herpes cannot make sure that her child isn't exposed to it? I believe that if you newly contract herpes during pregnancy that is dangerous to the baby, but if you have had herpes since before conception, I believe it's possible to make sure that your baby isn't exposed by having a c-section. Am I wrong about that?

If this is true, again, herpes is a much better situation than diabetes for a mom/baby. I sure wish that I could protect my offspring from diabetes.

PinkRose
Chicken pox, a relatively mild sickness when child, eventually results in very painful and debilitating shingles when an adult. Herpes, a moderate concern when contracted, becomes less and less of a worry as the years pass, until there are no symptoms whatsoever. The difference is how they are contracted - with the stigma and obligation of timely disclosure for the latter.

Of course, I'd rather not contract either disease. But the likelyhood of infection, by itself, would not prevent me from marrying someone with herpes. If all the other factors were in place, why on earth would I toss that away to avoid something that in the scheme of things is trivial?

You might want to do some research on how "trivial" herpes can be in reality for many sufferers. Also, shingles is not something that can be passed onto others like herpes. Most of us carry the chicken pox virus in us but we can't pass it onto someone through sexual intercourse.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.