Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

depaul

Low Cost/ Free Testing Supplies

depaul

I have recently changed insurance carrier and the new health plan really blows compared to my former plan. I was receiveing all my testing supplies free, covered under my monthly premium payment.

Now I must pay a monthly premium and a co-pay on ALL my testing supplies (lancets, test strips, syringes) not to mention an increase in my co-pay for my insulin.

Does anyone know of a low cost/free plan for testing supplies? I really need the help. My current medical costs just for me is more than $ 475 per month.

DePaul

MCS

I have been with out insurance for several years, so everything is out of pocket. I get my testing supplys at Wally World, (relion), Lantus is $115/bottle, syringes who knows, I try as best I can to ignore the fact I have to pay for all of this stuff. There are days when I feel like I am working just to stay alive.

jwags

We have to buy individual insurance so we have a very high deductible HSA. For that lousy inurance we pay almost $1000 a month and we have a $6000 deductible. So far we have never made the deductible so everything is out of pocket. My husband is on Actos and they recently raised it to $220 a month. Someone on another forum suggested a Canadian pharmacy Canada Pharmacy Store, Online Canadian Prescription and Non Prescription Pharmacies, Buy Discount Generic Drugs

We get a 3 month supply of Actos for $188. So we are saving more than $400 ever 3 months. They also have good prices on insulin. I buy my strips online at OneTouch, Ascensia, Accu-Chek, Test Strips, Syringes, Diabetic Supplies - HealthWarehouse.com They save me about 40%. I hate health insurance. We figure it would be cheaper if we didn't have it, but my luck I would get some dreaded disease and go bankrupt.

MCS

I just had by pass surgery with out insurance last Thanksgiving, the cost $234,000. With a high deductable insurance at $1000/mnth, $6000 deductable, and 80% copay my bill would have been for the year = $63,600. The Hospital took $24,000 in cash and called it paid in full.

NickP
I just had by pass surgery with out insurance last Thanksgiving, the cost $234,000. With a high deductable insurance at $1000/mnth, $6000 deductable, and 80% copay my bill would have been for the year = $63,600. The Hospital took $24,000 in cash and called it paid in full.

Marty....OUCH!!!! What is worse....going into the Hospital? Or trying to get out????

Belfrybat

Depending on your income, you can get testing supplies from Abbott (Freestyle) and in some cities, from Accu-check. I get Lantus directly from the company's patient assistance program for free. Look at NeedyMeds for the links.

Belfrybat

I just found out about a new Abbott Freestyle program -- FreeStyle Promise. It is open to all without income restrictions. If you have health insurance with a copay on testing strips higher than $15.00, it really can help. Also has other benefits as well, including a free meter and replacement batteries. Free Meter, Live Access & Co-Pay Savings for People with Diabetes - MyFreeStyle.com

jojeti
I just found out about a new Abbott Freestyle program -- FreeStyle Promise. It is open to all without income restrictions. If you have health insurance with a copay on testing strips higher than $15.00, it really can help. Also has other benefits as well, including a free meter and replacement batteries. Free Meter, Live Access & Co-Pay Savings for People with Diabetes - MyFreeStyle.com

Accucheck has the same type of offer. Just look them up online for details.

Inayah

Thank you so much for all the information in this thread. My new FreeStyle meter is coming and I will save a lot of $$ being on the program. You guys rock. :)

Alifigs

Hi . My name is Ali. I have type 2 diabetes and take lisinopril, clonidine, metformin, and glucotrol. I have been in a financial dilemma and I live in palm bay, fl can anyone tell me how I can get free diabetes supplies? Does anyone have lancets, test strips, or any kits? Even blood pressure cuffs? I do not have insurance and I need supplies. If you can help me, please email me at Alicia_m_arie@yahoo.com thanks so much

makiro

Bayer has a card were you don't pay more than $15 for test strips, doesn't matter how many the doctor prescribes. I'm on it and get 100/mo.

For TrueTEST, I haven't found anything online but I have found this through experience. I used to go to a local community clinic, not government funded, and found out that the pharmacy there will sell the test strips really cheap. 50 count for $25 or 100 for $35. They also provide free pen needles to the community. These are BD Ultra Fine or Ultra Fine III Nanos.

So calling up your local community clinics and asking for prices will also help.

makiro

Ooops, I made a mistake. Your doctor can prescribe up o 100 test strips and you'll just pay $15, after that, it can cover up to $35 of your co-pay.

rzrbks

Might look to other places than Wally World or Walgreens. Big expose last summer about how they were raising prices of Diabetes supplies to help cut cost of other meds.

Can't find the links to the stories right now, but when I do, I'll post them.

strutkitty

Oh boy this is MY territory completely!!...no insurance now cause i moved from Ohio (wonderful state for medical & financial help) to North Dakota (one of the three WORST for any help at all)...so no insurance now that covers my test supplies (my insulin and pills are covered but not doc visits or blood tests ect)...i can't help you out on all fronts but i CAN suggest two things...one for FREE testing strips/meters ect is H.E.R.O (but this might only be in ND not sure...stands for Healthcare Equiptment Recycling Organization)...if they don't have that in your state they might have something similar...free donated strips/testers/needles ect....BUT in lieu of that...EBAY....NO KIDDING!!!!....i get my test strips on ebay now...around $3.00 for 50 or sometimes even less...THANK GOD cause the pharmacy wanted $110 for 100 and even walmart is about $26 for 100...but i haven't paid more than $8 for 100 from ebay and most times even less!!!...(i bought my house on ebay too but that's another wonder story) LOL

anyway the H.E.R.O. site is HERO Fargo - Save a Life. Save the Earth. - 12345 and it's in Fargo ND but they MIGHT know of "sister programs" in other states!...good luck!!!

TeddySue
BUT in lieu of that...EBAY....NO KIDDING!!!!....i get my test strips on ebay now...around $3.00 for 50 or sometimes even less...THANK GOD cause the pharmacy wanted $110 for 100 and even walmart is about $26 for 100...but i haven't paid more than $8 for 100 from ebay and most times even less!!!..

I have been a TOTAL eBay freak for years and never knew this. I went to eBay and saw hundreds of listings for test strips. Thanks! I'll file this knowledge away for the time I may need it.

TS

Peggy_TX

When buying strips on ebay, be sure to check what they say for the expiration dates.

A LOT of them are short-dated (which is OK if you're only buying enough for the next month or so) -- but if they don't specify, they can even be expired.

(I'm also wary of buying strips through any form of mail during the summer, as I live in TX and that can mean packages sit at over 100 for days.)

Jan74br

Like Peggy said, I find that usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. I save a little as compared to Amazon by buying strips on Ebay, but since I try to get at least 10 months before expiration date, I don't find 100 strips for $8. More like 100 strips for $40.

snorvich
We have to buy individual insurance so we have a very high deductible HSA. For that lousy inurance we pay almost $1000 a month and we have a $6000 deductible. So far we have never made the deductible so everything is out of pocket. My husband is on Actos and they recently raised it to $220 a month. Someone on another forum suggested a Canadian pharmacy Canada Pharmacy Store, Online Canadian Prescription and Non Prescription Pharmacies, Buy Discount Generic Drugs

We get a 3 month supply of Actos for $188. So we are saving more than $400 ever 3 months. They also have good prices on insulin. I buy my strips online at OneTouch, Ascensia, Accu-Chek, Test Strips, Syringes, Diabetic Supplies - HealthWarehouse.com They save me about 40%. I hate health insurance. We figure it would be cheaper if we didn't have it, but my luck I would get some dreaded disease and go bankrupt.

I buy my test strips (Freestyle Lite) from Amazon.com at about 50% of what I can find elsewhere.

crocken

hi nickp.

your stats say your off meds as of march 1st 2011,then its says you take 500mg metformin ?

are you still taking metformin ?

i also take 2x 500mg metformin and want to know why you stopped ?did your number stay low for awhile or your doctor tell you ? i want to stop soon.im doing a low carb diet ,but not sure when to stop meds?

ken

jwags

I have found Amazon to be a great source for my Bayer Contour strips. I can usually get them for about $48 for 100 which is significantly cheaper than my normal pharmacy. I got 2 different USB meters free at different times from the Bayer website. The nice thing is when you get a free meter sometimes they throw in 25 free strips. So look for those free coupons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.