Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snydermom

Pop-ups

snydermom

Anything BUT diabetes, huh? OK ...

Does anyone know of any good FREE downloads to get rid of these horrid *@#!* pop-ups? :nerd: Computer dummy, here!

Everyone I talk to seems to be getting flooded with them recently. Don't they have a "do not eMail" site like the "do not call" for solicitations?

Tony

Those nasty pop-ups. That is one thing I don't like. It is like they are taking over the computer. I could not stand it, so I did something about it 2 months ago.

Goto google's website. Type in spyware. There is alot of free pop-up killers. I had picked ad-ware. But I had ended up paying for Norton Internet Security. I needed to up date my virus program anyway. Ad-ware will delete all the cookies the the pop-ups left behind.

As far as the do not E-mail goes, I heard they are working on to do just that.

Hope that helps, if not let me know.

Together we will stop this thing.

Jon

If you use Internet Explorer, you can download the Alexa toolbar created by amazon.com. That is what I use. It blocks popups, and your first time on a site it will ask permission for the popup.

Tony is right about the spyware too. I use Ad-aware from Lavasoft. It is free to download the basic ad remover. There website is http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Alexa's website is http://www.alexa.com/ and there is a link to download the free toolbar at the top of the page.

AOL's new software automatically blocks popups if you are on AOL sponsored sites.

What happens is certain sites slip in Ad controlling software when you download other programs of the net. The Gator corporation is one of the biggest offenders. Never download anything that has Gator anywhere on it. Once the program is installed, they control all the advertising you see on the web. It watches the sites you go to, then throws ads at you that are related to the stuff you surf. Not only are they stealing ad space from legitimate companies, but they are also really annoying. When you run Ad-aware, it will show you all the programs that control your ads. You will be amazed.

Tony

Jon is right stay away from anything that says gator. They are very sneaky and it may already be on your computer.

snydermom

Thanks guys ... BUT ... I downloaded something from ad-aware the other day & now I have some Mechanic thingy on my desktop but still all of the pop-ups. And it keeps telling me to "purchase". Sheesh!

Jon

You shouldn't need to purchase anything. Just run the free Ad-aware every once in a while. You want the free version, not Ad-aware Plus or anything like that. Also make sure you have the latest version. If that doesn't work, check you computer for viruses. A friend of mine was having a similar problem with the popups, and it turned out he had a virus. I cleaned it off and the popups haven't been back.

snydermom

Only one pop-up since I downlaoded the Alexa. It said I would have a NEW tool-bar but I don't. Jeeze I hope this works! Thanx!!

Belinda

Anyone taking classes at a State University can usually get the free Norton's update through their computer store/book store. Well it isn't free I am sure it is calculated in the tuition somehow!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.