Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfmiii

Need Help with Bayer Contour USB and Mac...

jfmiii

ok, so i just got a bayer contour USB meter and am having a bunch of problems getting it to work on my MacBook Pro--I'm running OS X 10.6.4. It seems this is very common and it even looks like on Bayer's website that it may not even work with OS X 10.6.4, only 10.6.3 or lower. I got the software to following some instructions I found on another site, but it wont recognize the meter and allow me to upload my test results. Anyone have a fix for this? Do I need to downgrade my MBP to 10.6.3? Thanks.

HeartMan

From Bayer's website:

Q: What is the CONTOUR USB operating system compatibility?

A: Bayer’s CONTOUR® USB Blood Glucose Monitor is currently compatible with Window® 7, Windows® XP (SP3) and Vista® (SP2) as well as Mac OS 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) and 10.5.8 (Intel® 64 bit processors).

So if you are running a 64 bit machine, 10.6.3 won't work either, unless you can switch it over to 32 bit for this program.

I used the Contour for several months. I very much liked the feature of being able to tag readings as pre or post meal. The deal breaker for me was a software limitation. While the computer based log book was good, I bring graphs to my doc appts. Having a graph with plot points below 70, 70-140, 140-200, and above 200 speeds up my visits that the graph has become indispensable. The Glucofacts software has a FIXED Y-Axis range of 0-600. I have no readings above 250, so more than half of the graph is blank and all the data points are squished together, making them unworkable for the docs. The Abbott software allows for selecting a portion of the graph so you can set your own axes. (If only Abbott would get their act together and get their software to work with 64 bit machines.)

Maybe pharma figures its tough enough to get patients to test much less actually use software, so what's the point in staying current? One would think Bayer with a USB system would be on top of it, but apparently one would be wrong.

jfmiii

i actually got the software working by copying a windows 64 bit .dll to the mac folder but it still wont rcognize the meter. kind of bs they use a mac in the commercials and it wont work with a mac. also bs that they advertise as being technologically advanced and the only way you can run it is if you use out-dated technology. well, i glad i didnt sell my old PC notebook as I will use it for this until they come out with a fix for Macs.

bollar

If you download the update from the Bayer site, it should work with a 64bit Intel Mac. The version on the USB stick doesn't work, but the one I downloaded and keep on my Mac works fine.

jfmiii

interesting bollar. i have a 2.53 GHz MBP running 10.6.4 and when I go to install the software downloaded from Bayer's site, it tells me I need to update my Java to a version released last year--I'm running the most up to date version of Java. what versions of OS X and Java are you using on your Mac? Thanks.

bollar
interesting bollar. i have a 2.53 GHz MBP running 10.6.4 and when I go to install the software downloaded from Bayer's site, it tells me I need to update my Java to a version released last year--I'm running the most up to date version of Java. what versions of OS X and Java are you using on your Mac? Thanks.

I have 1.86 GHz MacBook Air running 10.6.4. Java is 13.2. I just upgraded GlucoFacts to 2.08 that actually lets you upgrade the software on the USB stick. I started with 2.07, which was the first version that worked for me on 10.6

Steven Thomas

I just downloaded an update to my meter and to the desktop software. Both are working great with 10.6.4 on my 24" iMac now. The updater was at something like simplewins.com/live/tools/ It gave me v2.08 of the software. I downloaded the updater for my meter, it was ~19mb, I had my meter connected, and it automatically updates the software on the meter. It took about 10 min. Then I deleted the version on my Mac that had never worked, and downloaded a "first time install" of the desktop software, and it installed automatically with no errors. When I ran the desktop software, it found my meter, had me enter my personal information, and downloaded all my data from the meter. Works great! It is finally the meter I always knew it Could be! Good luck!

jfmiii
I just downloaded an update to my meter and to the desktop software. Both are working great with 10.6.4 on my 24" iMac now. The updater was at something like simplewins.com/live/tools/ It gave me v2.08 of the software. I downloaded the updater for my meter, it was ~19mb, I had my meter connected, and it automatically updates the software on the meter. It took about 10 min. Then I deleted the version on my Mac that had never worked, and downloaded a "first time install" of the desktop software, and it installed automatically with no errors. When I ran the desktop software, it found my meter, had me enter my personal information, and downloaded all my data from the meter. Works great! It is finally the meter I always knew it Could be! Good luck!

i keep getting "The command exited with a non-zero status." when I try and run the application. Anyone have any thoughts?

loubanks9

I did the same thing you did(at least i think i did) and i did not get the same results. IMac 10.5.8 os, I had my meter connected when i downloaded the updater but it did not update my meter. I can see all of the files when i plug in the meter but everything either directs me to download the latest version of java or just cannot be opened. Then when i downloaded the first time install version it gave me this error: "Please download and install the latest Java available for free at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/javaformacosx105update2.html" tried that but I was told that my java software was more up to date than the suggested java dowloadable update 2. Also when i click on the Glucofacts app that is on the meter it brings me to a website that again tells me to get the latest version of java. Does anyone know where i am going wrong here? I am a somewhat new mac user. Thanks!

lstanle

if you are getting that Java error, this is what I did to correct.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

1) went to finder>Applications>Utilities>Java Preferences

2) Open Java preferences

3) Mine listed various types and it says they will open in the order listed and to drag them to move the order (I have 4 listed)

4) You want the Java SE6 as the first one - drag it to top and click apply

5) then I plugged in meter and it worked

Hope that works for you too!

liz32

i agree with Istanle... simply becuase I just got off the phone with bayers... mine wouldn't set up either but it was that I didn't have java se6 on the top for prefence. once I changed it, all went well. worst come to worst... just call them and they'll walk ya thought it.

MacGirl50

You guys are so helpful!! Nothing worked until I changed the order of preference for Java, then everything worked perfectly! This is my first experience with glucose monitoring software and so far I love it! The graphs are very helpful and I can see right away how my numbers jump around throughout the day/week/month. Still within target ranges, just kinda all over the place between 40-150. I can't seem to keep them leveled out throughout the day. Working on that!

Thanks so much for the technical advice! I was concerned about it working with my MAC but it does. Mac os 10.5.8

MacGirl50

Just coming back to say that I'm not sure I trust this new meter. It said I was 47 this morning, but I just didn't feel like that was right, so I re-tested with my old meter (one touch) and it said 66. Quite a difference. So I tested again five minutes later with the Bayer and it said 52. It's very disappointing to think I can't trust it.

whmagill

Sigh.... Mac OSX 10.6.5 Java SE 6 (1.6.0_22-b04-307 -- from Utilities/Java Preferences)

After spending 2 hours on the phone with Bayer Support, who then sent me to Apple Support, where I spent another 30 minutes before going back to Bayer support for another 45 minutes....

Here is what is happening (both apparently and actually).

One assumes from the way Bayer's Software support folks talk and work, Bayer contracted the software development outside "long ago."

The Glucofacts Deluxe (aka Barracuda) software was tested with OS X 10.3 and 10.5 and with Java JRE1.6.0_07.

OSX 10.6.5 installs 1.6.0_22.

Supposedly Barracuda should work with later versions, and in fact it does.

If one downloads the "GLUCOFACTS_Deluxe_Update.zip" instead of the "GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe.zip", and launches the "update.app" from within the "unzipped" "update" folder (with the meter plugged in), it very nicely updates the meter's version 2.07 to version 2.08 in a couple of minutes, just as one would hope.

Investigating that "update" folder a bit more, one discovers a folder called "new" and in that folder "GLUCOFACTS Deluxe.app".

Double clicking on the .app, lo-and-behold, it launches and runs like a charm.

I now verified what the Apple rep and I discussed, that application runs, but the Bayer installer is broken !!!

For those of you who are "Terminal" savvy, the fix(s) are pretty simple. If you are not, then it can be done, but it's somewhat complex.

Basically, the install mpkg contains 3 non-executble files which need to be made executable… after which the installer runs perfectly.

First off, download and un-zip the file "GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe.zip" from Bayer's web page.

(Accessing the download is a separate task and another complaint -- Bayer's website is less than user friendly.)

(You cannot use the Finder because this is a "package" for which the finder does not display the contents.)

This will create a file "GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe". (Nominally, this will be in your download folder or on your desktop. It depends on where your downloads defaults are defined in Safari or whatever browser you are using, and whatever tool you are using to unzip the file with.) I moved mine to the Desktop for ease of access.

~/Desktop/GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe/GLUCOFACTS Deluxe.mpkg/Contents/Resources/jre

~/Desktop/GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe/GLUCOFACTS Deluxe.mpkg/Contents/packages/glucofactsDeluxe.pkg/contents/resources/postflight

~/Desktop/GLUCOFACTS%20Deluxe/GLUCOFACTS Deluxe.mpkg/Contents/packages/bayerHealthcare.pkg/contents/resources/postfilght

Chmod those three files to be executable by the user (chmod u+x) launch the mpkg, follow the instructions, the installer will complete, and leave you with two v2.08 icons on your desktop -- one to launch the application and one to uninstall it… so Windows.

Launch the application, create your database and you are good to go!

And yes, I have submitted this information to Bayer Support.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.