Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poodlebone

generic vs. brand name levothyroxine

poodlebone
I used to gag on my thyroxine, EVERY TIME. Maybe it is because I am used to monster metformin now ... but I also CHEW (well dissolve it, really) my T4, every morning, and no longer gag!

One morning I was getting ready to take my Levoxyl but realized I hadn't gotten my glass of water. I put the pill down on the edge of a plate I had just washed. I didn't notice that there was a droplet of water on it and I put the pill right on it. The pill immediately sucked up the water and grew/expanded! Now even if I don't have my water ready right away I stick it in my mouth and I never really taste it and I definitely never choke on it. As soon as it gets wet it dissolves.

Magic88

I am not able to weigh in on the more recent posts but did have a few thoughts on generics versus name brands. I had thyroid cancer several years ago and have been on Synthroid since. My endo has never okayed a generic for that though she does for other things. I think the point made earlier is the way to think about it: it probably is important to keep to the same brand because of the precision needed to monitor values. The concern with generics may be that you will be switching brands. Though the active ingredients may be the same, there could be changes in how they work if the pills are manufactured differently (contrary to what many think).

Another drug that requires significant monitoring is Coumadin. My father, who is an MD, prefers using that over a generic for precisely the same reasons.

It would be interesting if you were able to find a particular generic brand and whether that would solve the problem.

Barbara

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.