Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waynexs

Puzzling Question

Waynexs

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes 3 months ago. I take Janumet twice a day, exercise by walking on a treadmill and workout on my Total Gym every day. I eat according to my BG readings which have all been under 140 I happy to say.

My question is this: More often than not when I take a reading one hour after a meal I get a slight elevation in BG, but after two hours the reading is even higher. The numbers should be reversed shouldn't they? Higher number first and lower number the second hour after a meal. I've not seen anyone else with this issue unless I'm just not looking hard enough or it's insignificant. Am I being overly concerned or is this a signal I'm still eating incorrectly?

PBER57

Our bodies are all different. There is a spike curve but there can be variables as to how fast your digestion is working and what you eat. Can you give an example of a couple of meals?

Waynexs

Thank you for your reply. A good example is today. This morning I had instant oatmeal with a packet of Trevia sweetener and a small amount of 2% milk. At the 1 hour point my BG reading was 127 and then 134 the second hour after the meal.

I do realize everyone is different however I've never seen this addressed anywhere.

patricia52

My BG continues to rise after the 1st hour. Depending on the food i eat, it may take 3 hours for my BG return to my pre meal reading. Those #s are good. I would not worry. Sound like you are doing an excellent job of controlling you BG. Keep up the good work.

Patriots62

I am by far not an expert as I was only diagnosed Dec 09 but it has always been explained to me that the 2hr post meal is suppose to be the peak of the spike. Or at least that is what I expect when I measure. I guess the only way to know is to measure 1 hr, 2 hr, and so on post meal to see how your spike curve reacts. But I will caution that the spike curve will depend heavily on what carbs you have eaten as some are fast or slow acting. Again, that is what I see and expect when I measure. The old saying of eat to your meter definitely applies here.

Waynexs

After trial and error I found the culprit. It was cheese. I had been eating two mozzarella cheese sticks for lunch every day at work. Once I cut the cheese (pun intended), my BG numbers returned to the high the first hour and lower on the second hour. Thank you all for you help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.