Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nanutita

Help & Advice- Pregnant, recently diagnosed

nanutita

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am 20 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed at 16 weeks. I am very nervous because this is new to me, and as well this is my first pregnancy. I'm 26 years old, and didn't show symptoms. Even though my rates are not super high, I was given insulin.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

ZoraP

Hi and welcome. How did they make a type 2 diagnosis instead of calling it gestational diabetes? What kind of test results did you have? Don't be distressed about being put on insulin -- it's the best treatment for during pregnancy for a number of reasons. (Most of the oral meds are better avoided during pregnancy.) My advice is to get a home glucose monitor and put it to good use, if you don't already have one. If the doctor didn't prescribe one and give you some blood sugar targets, I'd ask for that. Then if they set you up with a diet, be diligent about checking your blood sugar levels -- this will help you learn how to dose the insulin correctly.

aiah23

My advice to you is to test frequently, stay hydrated, and follow the dietary restrictions. I've been on insulin over 18 yrs and it can seem frustrating the way dosing seems to change so frequency during pregnancy. Don't despair:) I'd recommend getting in to see an endocrinologist and/or diabetes educator so they can give you additional tips for using insulin. If you want some clear but detailed explanations (something docs don't have time to give) I recommend the following books:

Thinking Like a Pancreas

Using Insulin (personal fav)

Best of luck for the remainder of your pregnancy :)

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.