Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pat1203

Morning wakeup #'s - Part 4

pat1203

100 this morning...fantastic Lipid report yesterday!

I've been eating LC/HF now for almost three months now and when I told my cardiologist about it, I was concerned that he would disapprove of it, but instead, he encouraged it as a WOE for life. He suggested I might find my lipids really good after a couple of months, so this week my endo on a whim did a Lipid profile to see what was going on...the results are amazing!

My last A1C was 6.00 down from 6.9 and:

My Total Cholesterol went from 188 on 7/22/10 DOWN to 114

My Triglycerides went from 97 to 6

LDL from 104 to 54

HDL from 65 to 59

Can you believe it????????

Pat

no meds yet but for Accupril generic am and verapamil pm

NickP

Out of bed with a 94! That's a nice way to start a Friday!!!!

Happy Friday Everyone!!! Have a Great weekend!!!! :>)

Jillzd

Pat,

Your cholesterol numbers from the closed thread are amazing! I had the same trend with my numbers in all categories, but not to the extent you did. I also love the fact that your cardiologist supported the LC/HF diet. That's a huge endorsement.

:party:

FarmerCathy

I've been eating LC/HF now for almost three months now and when I told my cardiologist about it, I was concerned that he would disapprove of it, but instead, he encouraged it as a WOE for life. He suggested I might find my lipids really good after a couple of months, so this week my endo on a whim did a Lipid profile to see what was going on...the results are amazing!

LDL from 104 to 54

HDL from 65 to 59

Pat

Wow, that is great! What is LC/HF diet?

aiah23

Fasting blood sugar wasn't truly fasting but it was 80 (woke up an hour and a half earlier to treat a low w/ half a bottle of juice). Prior to that, at 1a it was 78.

Fawn

NickP
Wow, that is great! What is LC/HF diet?

LC/HF - Low Carb/High Fat diet - Depending on who you follow, the HF can be anywhere from 40% to 70% of the total calories consumed.

NickP

LDL from 104 to 54

HDL from 65 to 59

Pat

Hey Pat....

Did you post that correct?! Your triglicerides is 6?!!! Wow...that is amazing.

Actually, your pre-diet numbers were actually pretty good. Your TC/HDL was already less than 3 (less than 5 is good....less than 3 is great). Congrats on the new profile!!!

However (not to put any damper on your enthusiasm), but some research has shown that when your TC dips below 180, the odds of other fatal medical conditions increases (not CVD). You may want to research this a little From what I have read, the scientists are not sure of the cause and effect.

FarmerCathy
LC/HF - Low Carb/High Fat diet - Depending on who you follow, the HF can be anywhere from 40% to 70% of the total calories consumed.

Thanks Nick! It's that abbr. stuff I sometimes trip up on, LOL, like YMMV, finally figured out what that meant too. :D Thanks for helping me out.

FarmerCathy

104 this am for me. I know why though, I kind of over ate before and after dinner during my snack time. I don't know why, seemed like a normal day except my hubby was bringing me dinner and meeting most everyone at work. I'm glad he came, but don't know if that made me nervous or not, could have been the boss man was leaving early too and putting us in charge, yay, and only on the 4th day of the store opening. I think that is a major thing in my books, I was the one that taught him how to close the drawer, he may not have if I wasn't there to help during closing, plus the guy who was on shift with me and has been all week is a Sheriff, this is his part time job.:D My numbers aren't too bad and I'm still only taking 3 units, today and then tomorrow's numbers will be better. :) Today is my day off.

bardos

As a newbie diabetic type 2 I have some questions about wake up BG. From reading these threads I understand there is a difference between BG numbers after just getting out of bed and maybe an hour later, even though still fasting. I want good numbers, who doesn't? But, it is cheating to take your readings just out of bed? I don't understand very well the dawn phenomenon and glucose dumping? Does everyone (non-diabetics included) have this? Can someone please explain this to me.

When I go to the clinic for my tests, I typically wake up at 7 AM, do not eat, wait 90 minutes and then have a 20-25 minute walk to the clinic where they test me. What effect does all this have on my levels?

thanks, and my wishes for lower BG for everyone.

jsimms435

I used 28 units of Lantus last night and still had to get up at 2 am and eat because I was dropping.

This morning I was at 100.

ShottleBop
I used 28 units of Lantus last night and still had to get up at 2 am and eat because I was dropping.

This morning I was at 100.

You take just the one dose of Lantus, at bedtime? Have you tried/talked to your doctor about splitting your dose into bedtime/wakeup injections? That should help keep you from going low in the middle of the night.

NickP
78 for me today.

Nick, if your cholesterol is too low, what other diseases could you get?

Jill....wow....78! Great Job!

WRT to low cholesterol, I remember stroke and cancer were the big ones. I did a quick Google search, and found this on Dr Mirkin's site (BTW....I have not idea of who he is....).

Having a very low cholesterol could mean that you are not eating enough food. The following are harmful eating habits that cause disease and shorten life: eating too much food, calories, fat, saturated fat, partially hydrogenated fat; and not eating enough vegetables and whole grains, beans and other seeds. Not eating enough vegetables and seeds may be the most harmful because that deprives you of their essential vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and omega-3 fatty acids. So when you read that having very low cholesterol may be as dangerous as having a very high cholesterol, realize that a very low cholesterol may be associated with not getting enough nutrients, or because your body is not absorbing essential nutrients from the food that you eat.

A study in the British medical journal, Lancet (August 4, 2001), showed that elderly men who have low blood cholesterol levels die earlier than those with higher levels. This does not mean that having a high cholesterol prolongs your life. It means that having a high cholesterol when you are under age 70 puts you at high risk for a heart attack, but having a high cholesterol when you are older may mean that you are getting all the nutrients that you need, and having a low cholesterol when you are over 70 may mean that a person is not eating or absorbing adequate amounts of essential nutrients.

In this study, thirty-five hundred Japanese-Americans living in Hawaii were followed for 35 years. Those with cholesterol levels below 150 died earlier than those with levels of 232. We usually disregard studies like this because we know that a drop in cholesterol with aging often means that a person has a hidden cancer or some other serious disease that interferes with his nutrition, but this study is different. It shows that having a continuously low cholesterol is associated with an early death. The authors also showed that men and women with the lowest cholesterol levels also had the weakest grip strength and had other measures of frailty. That means to me that they are missing something from their diet or exercise programs. Many scientists now explain that we may be putting too much emphasis on cholesterol as a predictor of disease in older people, because diseases that interfere with absorption of nutrients cause heart attacks and cancers and shorten your life.

NickP

100 for me this AM. After working Football last night, and eating a very late dinner (around 10:30PM), I was happy with that...

NickP
104 this am for me. I know why though, I kind of over ate before and after dinner during my snack time. I don't know why, seemed like a normal day except my hubby was bringing me dinner and meeting most everyone at work. I'm glad he came, but don't know if that made me nervous or not, could have been the boss man was leaving early too and putting us in charge, yay, and only on the 4th day of the store opening. I think that is a major thing in my books, I was the one that taught him how to close the drawer, he may not have if I wasn't there to help during closing, plus the guy who was on shift with me and has been all week is a Sheriff, this is his part time job.:D My numbers aren't too bad and I'm still only taking 3 units, today and then tomorrow's numbers will be better. :) Today is my day off.

Cathy...you are doing Great!!! Great Job in reducing the Lantus!!!!

I'd be willing to bet that pretty soon you will be able to say goodbye to your Lantus. Keep it up!!!!

FarmerCathy
Cathy...you are doing Great!!! Great Job in reducing the Lantus!!!!

I'd be willing to bet that pretty soon you will be able to say goodbye to your Lantus. Keep it up!!!!

Thanks Nick!!! I'm hoping!!!!!! I think I'm a little nervous about going off of it. I don't know why, its weird. I should be super happy, but feeling anxious about the whole thing.

pat1203

Thanks,guys for the congratulations on the Lipid levels...altho' I would like more info on why below 180 would be bad? Endo didn't mention anything to be concerned about, but I wondered about the 6 myself...

Today was 132 because I ate out last night and guess I got something that I didn't know about...but, it's coming down. I felt really bad when I woke up and guess that high # must have been responsible. Haven't had one of those for a while!

Jillzd

86 today for me. I went to the gym yesterday but forgot to eat carbs before I went so I'll experiment today when I go to the gym. I did run out of energy half way through so I need to eat something. Just need to find the balance between energy and good numbers.

FarmerCathy

I fell off the wagon. :(

136 this am. Maybe some yoga and breathing will help, something, cause I'm a basket case over here and I'm not sure why, I have an idea and it might be several factors. Still I may only have to go back up to 4 or 5 units. I ate myself silly, but because I over ate on stuff that doesn't spike too much I don't think I went over 170 last night. I was 152 an hour after. Not so bad, but still not so good either. I just feel blah. I will take a bike ride this am and I know that will help and only taking what I should eat to work for my snacks and no more.