Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big John

What should i do?

Big John

Im new here so this is my first post.

I was diagnosed type 2 about 5 years ago and was probably diabetic much longer.

I tried two medicines and they made me nutty and had to get off of them. But my readings on my machine is about 200 before i eat and many times its going to 300 and 400 nowadays.

Im letharig all the time, mental confusion etc but im wondering at this point should i try another medication or just go to insulin either by injection or the pump? When do you make that call? And yes I could ask my doctor but im looking for real world opinions right now. Any help woud be great?

Adjitater

There is no real side effect from insulin aside from the chance that it may cause weight gain. I have been taking it for 39 years though and never had a prblem with weight until I had to stert taking steroids every day.

Subby

I get some nasty side effects from different insulins, but it is true that reacting is rare and much less likely than many meds. I would not worry about it unless it happened. You know it's happening when if you go off insulin or change it, the symptoms subside.

Big John, what were the meds and what do you mean by going nutty?

You ask when to make a call - I don't know about the specific action, but with BGs in the 300s and 400s the knock is loud at the door. Has your doctor suggested anything? This is a great resource right here, but you are also going to need to deal with your doc for some guidance and supply of medication, and they might have some good ideas up their sleeve, too. If your doctor has been happy with you pushing those numbers, I'd suggest a new doctor might one of the first orders of the day.

As you are clearly type 2 (right?) you should get some great suggestions from the helpful type 2s here about taking control with this. Welcome to the forum.

Big John

Well i have tried two and both made me so nervous i could not function. Im a medicated manic depressive so i have to be careful of anything i take cause it go make you go into psychosis and been there done that and its scarey. Im not saying there are not any out there without side effects. But im just wondering if i should go straight to insulin cause im sleeping my life away

As im a jewelry designer with thousands of students they look to me for help and im sleeping my life away right now. And im not mentally sharp anymore im loosing it when my reading goes past 300 and this has been going on a very long time i have had reading over 700 sometimes.

I am working with a doctor but i want others opinions. I will work with him but today i feel physicans are a bit too hasty to get you into the coporate medicaly syste.

And yes im clearly twpe two

The weight gain dont sound good since the meds im on already put 50 lbs on me but id rather be fat then out in left field.

Thanks i really appreciate it

Big John

adiantum

Welcome to the forum John, you have not mentioned the food your having to get such a high reading. Your nutrition is incredibly important. I would reduce the carb intake to 100g a day a the most, prefering even less then that. This should reward you with a clearer head & more energy.

Stop eating bread, rice, pasta, potatoes & cookies & see how you go.No juice & very little fruit...see which type you can tolerate by your meter.

Do become a regular member as the advice & support from here can make life much easier. Glad you joined us & am sure you will feel much better when you address those carbs.

There is no need to feel threatened of starving as we can eat very well.

Try an omelette for breakfast,salmon or egg salad for lunch & a steak & veges for dinner...

Big John

Thank you so much!

I don't have the perfect diet but i do wath the carbs and no sugar at all. But the funny thing is i can eat right and still have a bad reading. I think much of it is due to stress from my other illnes. Because once i had a 756 reading and was hospitalized and soon as my stress leval came down in 2 days i was back to normal. And i was eating right at that time.

I understand the food thing and i watch it pretty good, not perfect but i do try to have about 30 to 60 carbs per meal as per prescribed but you are correct i think the bread thing really gets me more then normal. But for the last year i have tried everthing and im still going way up at times and hang our mostly at about 200 BEFORE I EAT! after it goes from 300 to 400

adiantum

30 to 60g carbs in a meal is just far too many.I now the ADA suggest up to 45g carbs a meal but that was just too many for me & many others. Try to keep it 30 & below. Our needs vary( YMMV )so its up to each of us to find how many carbs we can tolerate

Having a bg of 200 before you eat suggests to me that your still recovering from your previous meal............just my opinion

ShottleBop

The ADA diet is not geared towards folks who are not using meds of some sort. Go to Jenny Ruhl's website, "Blood Sugar 101", and read "How to get your blood sugars under control", and start applying its principles. Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, which recommends a very low-carb diet (30 grams of carbs per day), is also extremely helpful, and large parts of it can be read online, for free.

Note that, depending on how far your T2 has progressed, diet and exercise alone may not be sufficient to keep your BGs in check.

patricia52

I suggest talking with your doctor(s) to find the best option for you. If you are not afraid of trying insulin tell you doctor that you want to try it. He can prescribe the best insulin for you and help you adjust your dosage. Also follow the suggestions on diet offered by the other members of the forum. When you get those BG reading down you will find that you have a clear head again. Keep us posted on your progress.

Big John
30 to 60g carbs in a meal is just far too many.I now the ADA suggest up to 45g carbs a meal but that was just too many for me & many others. Try to keep it 30 & below. Our needs vary( YMMV )so its up to each of us to find how many carbs we can tolerate

Having a bg of 200 before you eat suggests to me that your still recovering from your previous meal............just my opinion

You might have a good point here because most of the health professionals say its 60 carbs at least in this part of the country but i think you might be right and im going to try to reduce it and thank you so much for your in put

Big John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.