Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjrc64

Asian noodle soup(shiritake noodles make it low carb)

mjrc64

This is one I have made before being diagnosed. I do not follow recipes after one try, so I better go look this up! But bottom line, shiritake noodles, which I am sure you have all discovered here, have 5 g. carbs per serving. I am going to try this tonight with dreamfield's spaghetti noodles, simply so I can serve the same noodles to the family and save some cooking.(kids will not try shiritake).

Udon Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms in Ginger Broth - Martha Stewart Recipes

I started with this basic reciep, but I am sure I had no shallots, and added lots of other veggies(celery, broccoli, carrots).

But the key is the broth with the ****ake mushrooms and asian flavors in it. Form there, go crazy customizing it to your palate! I have uses chciken and tofu, beef, and just chicken.

Enjoy. Its really good!

mi-

Josselyn

"Net Nannied???" I LOVE that! :T

First time I ever heard of that one.

I bought a LOT of those noodles some months ago...and watched them die 'cause I never tried them. I'm an egg noodle girl (or WAS); can someone out there convince me that these actually taste GOOD? I can't get past the part where I shouldn't smell them... :eek:

Please and thank you.

jenb

Josselyn - the Shiritakes don't really taste like much of anything to me, they adopt the flavors of whatever you use them with. The texture is not like egg noodles - the only way I can describe it is "tougher" (although that's not exactly it). I love them in chicken soup! Have tried them with pasta sauce but didn't love it and haven't tried them in anything like pasta salad. As for the smell...if you rinse them well in cold water before using them you shouldn't have any problems. I've found that rinsing them and tossing them into hot soup just before serving it is the way to go - you really don't need to cook them first. I'm sure they'd be great in stir fry. All in all I think they're a real find.

Jen

mjrc64

Yes, they are not a spaghetti subsitute, IMO. They are best in asian style noodle dishes where you epxect a different texture. And you do nee to rinse and then boil for a few minutes, though I am sure just allowing them to cook in a soup for a few minutes is fine too. I just followed the package directions.

Interrestingly, I was first introduced to them by a Korean neighbor last summer, who made a dish for a party with "yam noodle", she called them. I think they were a variation of this noodle. She gets them at a specialty megastore called Hmart(not sure if those are all over).

They have a rubbery texture, I might call it.

I like spaghetti squash as a spaghetti substitute. Not because its like real flour noodles, but because the sweetness just lends itself well to sausages and tomato sauces and cheeses, to me.

mi-

jwags

I have used Shiratake Noodles since last year. I am still learning. I always soak them for a few minutes and then rinse a couple of times and let them dry out before adding them to my spicy sauce. I order my noodles by the case. I buy them at Asian Grocer. They have differnt kinds. Personally I like the kind with the seaweed added. Some websites have different shaped noodles. They are not the exact same as regular noodles but when mixed with a spicy sauce they are fantastic. They are good in soups too.

Seagal

I think they are great! Love them with butter & parmesan, or a bit of diced chicken or pork & soy sauce (or Braggs Amino Acids). I just picked up some spinach "noodles" at a local market and they are very good. If you deduct all the fiber, mine have 4 carbs per package (2 servings) and that's pretty good for a lunch that is filling.

Caravaggio
"Net Nannied???" I LOVE that! :T

First time I ever heard of that one.

I bought a LOT of those noodles some months ago...and watched them die 'cause I never tried them. I'm an egg noodle girl (or WAS); can someone out there convince me that these actually taste GOOD? I can't get past the part where I shouldn't smell them... :eek:

Please and thank you.

Simple. Just don't smell them! :D

Seriously, food is a matter of acquired taste and keeping an open mind. It's one thing to say you've tasted them once or twice or even thrice and really do not like them, but another thing to not trying them at all just because you don't like the smell or the look of it, or the fact that it's from a plant or part of an animal you're not used to eating. Sometimes, I think a lot of you good folks from certain parts of the world miss out on good food, not because it's not available, but just because you're not adventurous.

So, just go ahead and try them. You may like them. If not, well at least you can say, you gave it a chance. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.